Why Has the Gay Marriage Issue Exploded ?

Comments

• designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Man on radio explaining he's against equal marriage because he doesn't want to have to explain to his children that gay people are equal.

The mind boggles doesn't it? Those sort of people make me angry. My little cousins are 9 and 7 and they know my partner and they don't question it. They just see it as normal. Heaven help this man when he has to explain to his kids about sex... I'd imagine that's more awkward than saying "sometimes men love men and sometimes women love women but it doesn't matter because its normal"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Apparently there are more important issues. So why the hell are they making such a fuss about it? Obviously it is a big deal to the ones ranting about it not being a big deal! :D

:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While other places like New York just quietly get on with it.

It's making me a bit embarrassed of England tbh.

I agree. The whole revolt thing is just absurd. :(
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doop wrote: »
    You see this is what it comes down to at the end of the day these sad people cannot stand the thought of gays/bisexuals being equal.

Quite pathetic really.
    designer84 wrote: »
    The mind boggles doesn't it? Those sort of people make me angry. My little cousins are 9 and 7 and they know my partner and they don't question it. They just see it as normal. Heaven help this man when he has to explain to his kids about sex... I'd imagine that's more awkward than saying "sometimes men love men and sometimes women love women but it doesn't matter because its normal"

He'd already explained to them that gay people aren't equal so is worried about how it will seem if the government disagrees with him. Poor thing.

He then went on to the 'marrying animals' stuff.

What a mind, what a heart he must have. He's probably worried about gay people having children, too, yet he has them in his condition.

It's strange how much of the 'anti' arguments are based on vague scare-mongering.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently there are more important issues. So why the hell are they making such a fuss about it? Obviously it is a big deal to the ones ranting about it not being a big deal! :D

Nicely put Voynich! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'd already explained to them that gay people aren't equal so is worried about how it will seem if the government disagrees with him. Poor thing.

What a mind, what a heart he must have. He's probably worried about gay people having children, too, yet he has them in his condition.

It's strange how much of the 'anti' arguments are based on vague scare-mongering.

Can someone please explain to me the link between allowing gay marriage and marrying animals, it keeps cropping up in the more extreme anti arguments and I just really don't understand it :confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It would be interesting to see if one of his kids turned round and came out when they are older. Wonder if he would change his view or maybe his cave man attitude would inflict more damage? I don't get the whole animal or incest link. I love animals but the idea of intimacy with one repulses me. I also have no attraction towards family members. I really wonder where these people come from. I'm assuming he doesn't know any gay people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me the link between allowing gay marriage and marrying animals, it keeps cropping up in the more extreme anti arguments and I just really don't understand it :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    It doesn't really have a link. It's just an example of the slippery slope argument and more scare-mongering.

The rationale is that, if you stop marriage exclusively being between a man and a woman, you are opening up the floodgates to anyone wanting to marry anything or any number of things/people/relatives.

It's not much of an argument as an opportunity for people to reveal a part of their real attitudes.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The link is that if you can't express your prejudices against gay people, you try and link gay people to things which most people find abhorrent.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    It would be interesting to see if one of his kids turned round and came out when they are older. Wonder if he would change his view or maybe his cave man attitude would inflict more damage?

Probably disown him.
    I don't get the whole animal or incest link. I love animals but the idea of intimacy with one repulses me. I also have no attraction towards family members. I really wonder where these people come from. I'm assuming he doesn't know any gay people.

It's just the usual argument they use as I said in a previous post they used the same argument about 40 years ago to justify why interracial marriage shouldn't be allowed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be interesting to see if one of his kids turned round and came out when they are older. Wonder if he would change his view or maybe his cave man attitude would inflict more damage? I don't get the whole animal or incest link. I love animals but the idea of intimacy with one repulses me. I also have no attraction towards family members. I really wonder where these people come from. I'm assuming he doesn't know any gay people.
    I think a lot of it is that some people just feel comfortable with 'us and them' conditions. They like to know who they're better than and dress it up with these transparently ridiculous 'arguments'.

You can tell by the way that they cling on to these arguments, like people drowning, and then can't defend them.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man on radio explaining he's against equal marriage because he doesn't want to have to explain to his children that gay people are equal.

Whilst I don't really care and don't want anyone to go through rejection and homophobia, I can't help wishing that one or more of his children turns out second class.

Just how then will he explain to his child that they are not equal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't really have a link. It's just an example of the slippery slope argument and more scare-mongering.

The rationale is that, if you stop marriage exclusively being between a man and a woman, you are opening up the floodgates to anyone wanting to marry anything or any number of things/people/relatives.

It's not much of an argument as an opportunity for people to reveal a part of their real attitudes.

I have watched David Lynch movies that have made more sense then that argument. :confused:

I'm sure the same argument came out when inter race marriage was allowed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You need to go to Argos and buy yourself a Slippery Slope.

They are good value as you can you it for all and any bigoted argument. - Just pile on any unconnected rubbish and hope that it all just slips past anyone with a logical argument based on fact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched David Lynch movies that have made more sense then that argument. :confused:

Yes, none of their arguments make much sense and versions of the same arguments have been used to try and impede moves towards equality over the years. :(

IMO, if the people who oppose equal marriage now were speaking 50 years ago, they'd be opposing equal pay, decriminalisation of homosexual acts, the Race Relations Acts etc.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have yet to hear an argument against that came close to convincing me that SSM is wrong.
    However I am genuinely puzzled that a SSM and a hetero marriage are the same thing when the rules around consummation and adultery are not equal between the two. If those rules are unequal, then surely the whole thing is unequal. And when equality is what is being sought ..........?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to go to Argos and buy yourself a Slippery Slope.

They are good value as you can you it for all and any bigoted argument. - Just pile on any unconnected rubbish and hope that it all just slips past anyone with a logical argument based on fact.

Do I get a warranty? And will they deliver weekends?

For me it seems illogical that this issue has blown up so much. The institution of marriage has changed so many times, its been changed and adapted many many times so you would think we would be used to it by now. Why has this issue exploded when it has happened so many times before? The concept of marriage in something that is not fixed, it often changes to suit the attitudes of the time (take inter racial marriage just as one example), if we never changed the institution of marriage my parents would be selling me off for a few goats.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their agenda is in your face, because you've shoved your face into their lives. Remove it, and your problem will be solved.

Seriously, this whole thing about "shoving it in people's faces" is akin to being a peeping tom and complaining about a blocked view.
    jackthom wrote: »
    Heaven help us all, the country is heading for disaster because the definition of a word may be changed.

What's even worse none of the other words in the dictionary will ever feel safe again.

Please tell me you aren't serious
    Yeah and people say the gays are anal.:D

The best three posts I have seen all week on any subject. I love this forum sometimes. :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    I have yet to hear an argument against that came close to convincing me that SSM is wrong.
    However I am genuinely puzzled that a SSM and a hetero marriage are the same thing when the rules around consummation and adultery are not equal between the two. If those rules are unequal, then surely the whole thing is unequal. And when equality is what is being sought ..........?
    Those rules can easily be equalised.

The only people I've come across arguing against tjhat are people who think it's a 'gotcha' against equal marriage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those rules can easily be equalised.

The only people I've come across arguing against tjhat are people who think it's a 'gotcha' against equal marriage.

Then why aren't they being? Without that equalisation you end up with a two-tier system. Is that what is wanted? It certainly isn't what I would want if I were gay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A conservative MPs used one when they wanted to lower the age of consent of gay people to that of everyone else: "Do we want people buggering our schoolchildren?" was what he said.

With that, he implied that older people trying it on with 16 year olds only ever happens with gay people and never with school girls that could already have sex at 16. - Which being totally wrong, makes a whole nonsense of what he is trying to say.

Also the use of emotive words like "Buggering" were used just to imply that gay people don't have sex like normal people, they go around "Buggering" each other all the time and in this case little schoolchildren! - All wrong and just pathetic scaremongering. All gay people do not have anal sex and yet some heterosexual people do! So that's the other part of his argument blown out of the water.

This is always the result if someone tries to apply something just to gay people, when it equally already applies to straight people. Do they really think people that stupid?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Then why aren't they being? Without that equalisation you end up with a two-tier system. Is that what is wanted? It certainly isn't what I would want if I were gay.

I don't think the legislation has been drafted yet. If it has, then I'm sure the debates will address it.

I don't think its gay people who are arguing to maintain that difference so it isn't what is wanted.

It would be those in Parliament who don't want to define what gay consummation is. I think that was the reason for the difference with the civil partnership laws. I don't think there's any reason to suppose gay people generally are arguing for a two-tier system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A conservative MPs used one when they wanted to lower the age of consent of gay people to that of everyone else: "Do we want people buggering our schoolchildren?" was what he said.

With that, he implied that older people trying it on with 16 year olds only ever happens with gay people and never with school girls that could already have sex at 16. - Which being totally wrong, makes a whole nonsense of what he is trying to say.

Also the use of emotive words like "Buggering" were used just to imply that gay people don't have sex like normal people, they go around "Buggering" each other all the time and in this case little schoolchildren! - All wrong and just pathetic scaremongering. All gay people do not have anal sex and yet some heterosexual people do! So that's the other past of his argument blown out of the water.

This is always the result if someone tries to apply something just to gay people, when it equally already applies to straight people. Do they really think people that stupid?
    Some of the 'anti' arguments are so facile, I think they must do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also the use of emotive words like "Buggering" were used just to imply that gay people don't have sex like normal people, they go around "Buggering" each other all the time and in this case little schoolchildren! - All wrong and just pathetic scaremongering. All gay people do not have anal sex and yet some heterosexual people do! So that's the other past of his argument blown out of the water.

Well, he did just saying the words 'buggering our schoolchildren, and considering the argument against is that it will lead to me being able to marry Bluebell the illuminated rabbit, I'm going to say yes on that one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the legislation has been drafted yet. If it has, then I'm sure the debates will address it.

I don't think its gay people who are arguing to maintain that difference so it isn't what is wanted.

It would be those in Parliament who don't want to define what gay consummation is. I think that was the reason for the difference with the civil partnership laws. I don't think there's any reason to suppose gay people generally are arguing for a two-tier system.

Thanks for that..... I had thought they were voting on specific legislation, not a general intention.
This discussion has been closed.