Hearing strange voices, and no I'm not going mad (I hope)

5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

We are trying to work out why we occasionally pick up a strange voice when watching certain programmes. For example; just as Corrie started tonight we suddenly heard 3 seconds of some kind of scrambled voice interrupting the programme, then just as the adverts finished we heard it again; the same voice but different words. It's hard to decipher what is said as it happens so quickly.
The same thing happened yesterday evening, but I can't remember if it was the same channel as today.
It's actually quite creepy. Perhaps our dish is picking up a signal it shouldn't.

Comments

• GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was your house / flat built on an ancient burial ground? :o
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was your house / flat built on an ancient burial ground? :o

Perhaps we need to hire an indian shaman
  • goggledgoggled Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some years I lived near the Ashdown Forest, where there was a transmitter There were tales of folk with hearing aids hearing speech near fences. A friend would open her oven and hear a broadcast. And funniest of all the church loop would continue broadcasting a radio programme when the preacher took a breath.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can recall back in the 70's having a vinyl record player.

There were many occasions when it was on but not playing a record where you could clearly hear a radio station. It was either radio 2 or radio 4, I can't recall which one it was.

It was very annoying!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goggled wrote: »
    For some years I lived near the Ashdown Forest, where there was a transmitter There were tales of folk with hearing aids hearing speech near fences. A friend would open her oven and hear a broadcast. And funniest of all the church loop would continue broadcasting a radio programme when the preacher took a breath.

Crowborough transmitter which was quite high power.

There are lots of stories of odd voices around high power transmitter sites, wire fences were prone to demodulating signal so mysterious voices would be heard as people went out in the dark to change antenna over.

It is possible that if there is a radio amateur operating near the original poster on Single Side Band (or an illegal operator) that he could hear distorted voices. It should be pointed out that it will be almost certainly the fault of the receiver which are notorious for often being poorly screened and filtered so liable to interference.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member

There were many occasions when it was on but not playing a record where you could clearly hear a radio station. It was either radio 2 or radio 4, I can't recall which one it was.

It was very annoying!

That used to happen to me when I lived in Newcastle. My record player used to 'broadcast' TyneTees TV sound but only in foggy or damp weather.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Do you live near a graveyard or in an old house that someone might have died in? Perhaps hiring an exorcist might be a good idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see dead people!
    Can I help?
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard this tonight on corrie on ITV SD on virgin media - it reminded me of 'police' radio where you would pick up chatter but I noticed during week ITV/STV have had sound issues =/
  • djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not the audio descriptor channel being momentarily switched on?

Freaked me out the first time it happened!
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my god it's not just me then!!! I was really confused, even muted the tv and looked for my mobile phone thinking I'd pocket dialled or something. It's happened a few times on STV ( Scottish ITV) , really thank god I'm not going mad.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    I heard this tonight on corrie on ITV SD on virgin media - it reminded me of 'police' radio where you would pick up chatter but I noticed during week ITV/STV have had sound issues =/

You know, I thought I heard voices when my recording of Coronation Street started! I had assumed that it was the audio from a previous trail or something!

The last time I encountered this was during the first episide of the modern Doctor Who series. The audio of Strictly Come Dancing was mixed into the programme sound!
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    In the old analogue days we lived in North Essex, and our VCR kept retuning itself as Anglia did not broadcast in Stereo (at that time) but the London area transmitter did.

I also recall when Channel 5 came about we lived in Bolton so did not get our VCR "retuned" for the Granada transmitters - however we had to do it ourselves as we got a secondary signal from the North Wales transmitter which was on the same frequency as our VCR
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part 2 of Emmerdale

https://clyp.it/qivai4bn
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 405 line VHF days when BBC1 closed down we used to be able to hear police radio - I remember listening to them chasing a car one night and we heard them screaming past our house, very exciting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    In the 405 line VHF days when BBC1 closed down we used to be able to hear police radio - I remember listening to them chasing a car one night and we heard them screaming past our house, very exciting.

As a child in the 80's I used to hear what sounded like the police on the radio (not the band!). Of course I could have been wrong, but it certainly sounded like police talk even though I could never quite understand what was being said.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interruption to Southern Television from the Hannington transmitter on November 26, 1977

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afXKOt3A0xc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interruption to Southern Television from the Hannington transmitter on November 26, 1977

So perhaps the aliens are now just content with announcing what's on the telly :)

" https://clyp.it/qivai4bn "
  • David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That you tube clip is a fake. The incident happens on a Saturday during the ITN news
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was very annoying!

The usual thing was the taxi hire base calling different cabs.

In the sixties, I could get the BBC TV sound on my Bush VHF 64 radio, but you had to tune it in.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The usual thing was the taxi hire base calling different cabs.

In the sixties, I could get the BBC TV sound on my Bush VHF 64 radio, but you had to tune it in.
    I can remember hearing Coronation St on my radio in 1983.
  • AntboxAntbox Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That you tube clip is a fake. The incident happens on a Saturday during the ITN news
    Yes, the video is definitely faked, but the audio has been around for a while and may be more legitimate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    Part 2 of Emmerdale

https://clyp.it/qivai4bn

The brief bit where you hear someone say '...mmerdale', with something like a fax machine going off in the background, is an Audio Description soundtrack. Those tones are a control signal to other parts of the broadcast infrastructure, they shouldn't ever be broadcast raw, as-is. So what you're hearing is almost certainly a fault at the channel's end.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ad in the studio/play out infrastructure is carried as audio on one leg of a aes3 /embedded audio and a warble tone on the other which carries the fade and pan metadata .
    There are "police units " made by MRG systems and a card by Axon which check that there is signal there are put them on the right leg if it is wrong ..... And general ensure that it is ok .. And alarming and putting out messages if it is not !
    The ITC rules of operation more or less say that the broadcaster has to use them .
    BBC use embedded audio and ITV etc tend to use aes3 ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if anyone is curious enough to try to decode the audio control track, there's readable ASCII text in there. (Not much, and not very interesting, but it is there.) :)