reading books online for free!

cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
Forum Member
I'm now getting close to desperation.............

I live in Spain and can get no end of second hand books, but alas, the author Tess Stimson seems very thin on the ground here.

I hate the idea of buying anything online, and I had thought I could just read her books online or download for free, much in the same way that I get all my music.

Just have spent the morning scouring the internet trying to find websites in order to do this. I found one, but they asked for my credit card number so I shied away from that one immediately.

My question is, does anyone know of a safe website, where you can read basically what you want (my genre is firmly chicklit) and either read it on tablet, mobile, computer etc, but without having to pay for it online? Or either sign up and give over your credit card information!

Any responses will be extremely appreciated! :):):)

Comments

• Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry in advance as I don't think this will be much help, but the only way I know to get free books is on a kindle.
    I haven't paid for an e book for years. Admittedly a lot of them are crap but what the hey they are free. Sometimes you get a loss leader from an author you would not have tried and find that they are good. I discovered the Roy Grace novels via a kindle freebie.
    You also get some of the classics free.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    Sorry in advance as I don't think this will be much help, but the only way I know to get free books is on a kindle.
    I haven't paid for an e book for years. Admittedly a lot of them are crap but what the hey they are free. Sometimes you get a loss leader from an author you would not have tried and find that they are good. I discovered the Roy Grace novels via a kindle freebie.
    You also get some of the classics free.
    Thanks for replying :)

I've gone on websites today that promise "free books" and it's true to an extent, but what they don't mention is that the majority of them noones ever heard of! :(

I suppose I have to learn to start buying online, though it's very difficult to start! ^_^^_^
  • Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are a member of a library, you can get a lot of e-books for free entirely legally, but it is still a bit of a restricted choice. They have some big name, contemporary authors, but it's often just two or three books. You don't need to be in the library to borrow them. You can do it online.

The likes of the Kindle store will have some free books, but they tend to be a mix of stuff that is out of copyright, so the classics, or books by unknown authors who don't have a following, and are hoping someone will take a punt. In the case of the latter, you might get lucky with something good, or it could be a pile of dirge.

Personally, I think if you want to read a book by a contemporary author, especially one you know you like, you should pay for it. "Free" library book are fine, because the authors and publishers get a fee each time it's borrowed. Most online book stores allow you to download a free sample, and that should be plenty to decide whether or not you want to keep reading. If you do, it's rarely that expensive when you compare it with other media. Books by big selling authors tend to be quite cheap anyway, if you are prepared to wait a few months until it's in the paperback phase.

Some publishers take the mickey with classics that still have copyright. I've noticed some texts popular for use in schools are way more expensive than new novels, but at least a lot of them are likely to be available via the library.
  • Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another tip for cheaper e-books is if you spot an author or book you fancy, just add it to your "wish list" or download a preview. Periodically check on the price, as they often vary, and especially with newer books, they'll drop the price every now and then to push sales and generate interest. This is especially true of books associated with films.
  • KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't purchased a book since I got a tablet a year ago. I love reading the kindle free ebooks. I don't think about the author other than whether they have written an enjoyable book. As a teenager I used to select my library books based on the colour (yellow = Gollancz sci fi). Now I select on price and worry less about genre.
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like a bargain as much as the next person but remember that authors have to eat!