Options

Tv Tuner USB Stick ( for P.C)

Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
Forum Member
Any ideas: I'm looking for a USB TV tuner stick to use in both my desktop, and laptop.
I have a Haupaugge TV tuner card, thats several years old ( more than 10?) , however it struggles to assign the channel numbers correctly and wont tune to any of the HD channels, I know its possible to stream, but i would like to use it in a location with no internet access on my laptop.
The Haupaggue card was good for its time, however its now showing its age

Comments

• Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »
    Any ideas: I'm looking for a USB TV tuner stick to use in both my desktop, and laptop.
    I have a Haupaugge TV tuner card, thats several years old ( more than 10?) , however it struggles to assign the channel numbers correctly and wont tune to any of the HD channels, I know its possible to stream, but i would like to use it in a location with no internet access on my laptop.
    The Haupaggue card was good for its time, however its now showing its age

Give this a try, on Amazon
  • Options
    Forum Member

The one you linked to can also record cable tv signals but they're encrypted in the UK apart from the BBC channels, so, not really.
    (Sorry only just getting back to you, long day!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've decided to go with the wintv solo HD, its a few quid cheaper, and it also has the correct socket in the back, the pctv one has a smaller antenna in and comes with yet another dongle to lose adaptor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've decided to go with the wintv solo HD, its a few quid cheaper, and it also has the correct socket in the back, the pctv one has a smaller antenna in and comes with yet another dongle to lose adaptor

Good luck mate, let us know how you get on with it
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member

Good choice. Got the pctv one a few years ago and the antenna adapter snapped a couple of times so i got a refund.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So after while, this is how it went:

The included software WinTv8 isnt the most elegant, but it works - sort of, there was no install disk, just a code and a donwload link, the download link provided on the paper didnt work, and it took a little searching to find it - fortunately the activation code was correct, the Tv player (winTV8) window can only be re-sized by certain amounts, and doesnt tune all the channels correctly, as it cant find the BBC multiplex and there are no obvious manual tuning options.
    As Expected the included stick antenna is useless, although it does work if you are within eyesight of the transmitter

The Tuning options are all channels/frequencies or by area/region, ie Central/ Waltham
    Getting it to manually tune is not user friendly as you have to first find the database file, and then edit it manually, the database file is located here C:\Users\Public\WinTV and is under Terrestial, so for Waltham you need to enter/edit this

<region name="Central / Waltham">
    <transponder frequency="514000" bandwidth="8" />
    <transponder frequency="538000" bandwidth="8" />
    <transponder frequency="554000" bandwidth="8" />
    <transponder frequency="602000" bandwidth="8" />
    <transponder frequency="698000" bandwidth="8" />
    <transponder frequency="737833" bandwidth="8" />
    <transponder frequency="754000" bandwidth="8" />
    <transponder frequency="762000" bandwidth="8" />
    <transponder frequency="770000" bandwidth="8" />
    <!-- DSO Complete -->
    </region>

Once the above is done it appears to pick up all DTT DVBT and DVBT2 SD and HD channels
    So there it is, hardware good, software bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So after while, this is how it went:

The included software WinTv8 isnt the most elegant, but it works - sort of, there was no install disk, just a code and a donwload link, the download link provided on the paper didnt work, and it took a little searching to find it - fortunately the activation code was correct, the Tv player (winTV8) window can only be re-sized by certain amounts, and doesnt tune all the channels correctly, as it cant find the BBC multiplex and there are no obvious manual tuning options.
    As Expected the included stick antenna is useless, although it does work if you are within eyesight of the transmitter

The Tuning options are all channels/frequencies or by area/region, ie Central/ Waltham
    Getting it to manually tune is not user friendly as you have to first find the database file, and then edit it manually, the database file is located here C:\Users\Public\WinTV and is under Terrestial, so for Waltham you need to enter/edit this

Once the above is done it appears to pick up all DTT DVBT and DVBT2 SD and HD channels
    So there it is, hardware good, software bad.

Im yet to find a tuning stick that doesn't have shite software on it for tuning/EPG.
    Glad you got it going in the end though mate. And thanks
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows Media Center takes some beating for live and recorded TV. Now officially dropped by Microsoft, but still available - I have it running on Windows 10. Here's the EPG right now

https://s28.postimg.org/j07zzofa5/wmc.jpg
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    Windows Media Center takes some beating for live and recorded TV. Now officially dropped by Microsoft, but still available - I have it running on Windows 10.
    I didn't even know that was possible, just Googled it and found out how to do it, so thanks.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big Windows updates (eg the anniversary update) usually kill WMC, so you have to clean up any remnants and reinstall. The whole WMC on W10 thing was started by these guys.
  • Options
    gilliandiagilliandia Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I concur with the good h/w bad s/w experiences.

Been using DVBDream for years with my Hauppauge USB stick, but Kodi [XBMC] & NextPVR are a useable FREE alternative to WMC. Plus there are all the addons...