Songs ruined by being used in another context

Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
Forum Member
Today Jeremy Vine payed "Mercy" by Duffy, and all I kept seeing in my head was Judge Rinder on Strictly, and his gurning pirouettes.

Another song I cannot listen to without thinking of another use is "Whole of the Moon" by the Waterboys,
This is entirely due to Graham Norton screaming the song at the top of his lungs in "Father Ted".

Anyone else have songs they now see in a different light solely due to it being used in another context ??

Comments

• digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Listen' by Beyonce after the way it has been murdered at least once a year on every single TV talent show.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    digichant wrote: »
    'Listen' by Beyonce after the way it has been murdered at least once a year on every single TV talent show.

The ultimate - "Ken Lee" by Mariah Carey (Without you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPs7dJvW2X4

I would say "enjoy" but don't think that's possible
  • ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »

Ironically, I feel the same way about Mariah Carey's version of Without You compared to the Harry Nilsson version.
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    "You can't always get what you want" has been tainted thanks to being associated with Trump's presidential campaign.

Similarly, I can't think of "Whole Lotta Love" without being reminded of Saville era TOTP
  • PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal.

Reminds me of the awful movie Batman Forever which is a shame as I did like the song when it was first released.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry on an anti-drink driving advert.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katherine Jenkins destroying Evanescences "Bring me to life", it's a no wonder she ended up singing on a cruise ship.

Anyone that sings those awful "One night only" & "I'm yelling that I'm not going" on XF & other talent contests. In all honesty those songs were not at all great to begin with, and as the saying goes, you cannot polish a turd.

Finally in the cult classic Trainspotting where Spud is singing "Two little boys", now when I hear that song, it reminds me of that nonce Rolf.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Candle In The Wind'.
    Good song in it's original context, then it became "Goodbye England's rose".
    She wasn't my rose.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »

"Without You" by Mariah Carey?? In my opinion Harry Nillson's "Without You" had already been anailated by human dolphin Ms Carey.
    I quite like the "Ken Lee" version. The misheard lyric aspect of it is funny.
  • dammitbatman!!dammitbatman!! Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry on an anti-drink driving advert.

Van Morrison - Brown Eyed girl was used in a drink driving ad also - it's the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the intro.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I rarely go off songs I like, but I found Take That's 'Shine' rather grating after it got played to death on that Morrisons advert and now I associate it as much with the supermarket as I do with the group who sang it!
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollaback Gurl being used on that ultra annoying moneymarket advert:(
    Body To Body being used in a drink driving advert
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another One Bites the Dust being adapted for that awful Dacia Duster ad.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cream - i feel free , currently being destroyed in a tv ad...

several covers like diarrhea carey 'without you'....

edit...just seen this has already been mentioned :blush:
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever stopped liking I song I already liked just because I heard it in an advert or similar annoying context.

Sometimes a commercial will feature a song I don't know (or barely know) and I'll think, that's a good tune, shame it's in an Apple advert. Or like the Volkswagen commercial with the Dead Prez track, I'll enjoy it whilst it's playing but never want to hear it again.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Without You" by Mariah Carey?? In my opinion Harry Nillson's "Without You" had already been anailated by human dolphin Ms Carey.

So true.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song was originally recorded by Badfinger so Nilsson's version was a cover as well. Although for me he probably did the best version IMO.
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knock on Wood.

That dratted advert for oak wood furniture uses a light-weight girly version of this great song, the original of which was written and performed by Eddie Floyd in 1967.

It should be illegal to ruin such classics!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember around 20 years ago that Marvin Gaye's Sexual Healing being used for a car advert.
  • claremontsclaremonts Posts: 20,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Songs by Queen seem to be overused or remade for adverts so much now.
  • Mrs_KrayMrs_Kray Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Disparate Youth by Santigold was completely ruined by being used in TV ads for Santander, it was actually receiving some good airplay before that happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIMMZQJ1H6E

It's a shame because it's a fantastic song that has a lovely message, but now every time it comes on all people say is "oh it's the bank song" >:(
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perfect Circle has always been my favourite REM song

Then David Cameron picked it as one of his desert island discs >:(
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mind Don't Stop Believing until the Glee brats got hold of it.
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised no has yet mentioned Te Trogg's Love Is All Around brutally and mercilessly slaughtered by Wet Tit Wank