KAT (Kick Ass Torrents) - what is it?

I was chatting with a workmate earlier today about new us progs coming on sky soon and he said he gets all his progs from something called Kick Ass Torrents, and sometimes only within a few hours of airing in the US. Never heard of the site before and don't really know what a 'torrent' is but I did have a little look and it just looks like a list of progs and movies you can download. Not sure if it's illegal or legal, anybody have any dealings with the site?

Comments

• Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well torrent is just a way of sharing big amounts of data over the tinternet....see Wiki for more info. Never used KAT so dont not what they are liked and as for the legality of it, I believe that distribruting programs you dont have the rights to is illeagal. Not sure about the actually downloading and tbh even if it was I suspect the authorities are more interesting in those 'sharing'
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torrents are a form of mass downloading, allowing multiple users to download a file in 'parts', from many users at once. The original file is split up amongst those who have it, and a new downloader gets different parts from various different people.

Kick Ass Torrents, I think, are a place where people share the links for these torrents.

Torrenting itself isn't illegal, however downloading copyrighted material through torrents is.