Lidl vs aldi

Comments

• Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,921
    Forum Member
    i could be getting my supermarkets confused :blush: but i`m sure some do.

No, you're not getting confused :D I just did a search and it looks like the newer Aldi stores have bakeries.
    I can only speak for the ones near me. The good thing is I can do the bulk of my shop at Aldi and pop to LIdl for bread.
    Then off to somewhere else for instant coffee 'cos I don't like theirs, although the ground is okay.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    kizzie wrote: »
    Yep. Spot on.

Thanks kizzie.

=

Lidl accept contact-less payments, so if you've got a contact-less credit card, you'll be OK.
  • Johnny_SinclairJohnny_Sinclair Posts: 1,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Both have the same problem..........tiny car parks where you have to queue to get in, no baskets, dont take CCs.

Not sure which branches you've been in but the ones round here have plenty of baskets, loads of car parking and take credit and debit cards. Lidl even has Apple Pay!!!
    Forum Member
    Not sure which branches you've been in but the ones round here have plenty of baskets, loads of car parking and take credit and debit cards. Lidl even has Apple Pay!!!

Indeed. Around here you can use the Sainsbury car park for Lidl or the B&Q car park for Aldi in the unlikely event the Lidl or Aldi car parks are full.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    I like both but it so happens I have two Aldis within walking distance and the nearest Lidl is quite an awkward drive away. So I tend to go to Aldi more. I find that stores vary quite a bit though. The one that is 1.4 miles from me is always a mess, disorganised, lines missing or not on the shelves and the checkout something of a scrum. I have been known to leave (if driving) and go to the one 1.2 miles away where all is calm, the shelves well stocked and the tills orderly and calm. Such a contrast between two stores so close to one another.

That could just as easily be a description of my local Lidl which I tend not to use. It just has an unkempt, "couldn't be bothered" feel about the place.
    Forum Member
    Both supermarkets are run by mad people. Look at their tills with no packing area. You are supposed to sweep the shopping back into your basket, but even most staff do not know this. Hopeless.
    The original Mr. Aldi was biggest tightwad ever, try reading up on him and the north and south brothers Aldi.
    Once Lidl get you on a line which keeps you coming back, they keep hiking the price up and up and up until you get alienated and don't come back anymore. Or else if they don't think it gives big enough profit margin, they withdraw it even though it's popular. I've seen this over a decade. I stopped shopping there for years and they've done this on another 4 kinds of items in the last six months and I'm on the verge of telling them to cuck off again. Currently they've withdrawn my favourite booze so I have no real reason to go.
    I'd give the nod to Aldi for their more extensive fresh fruit & veg.

Supermarkets change their order lines in order to cater for the current market. Who knew.

I get your point about being tightwads or more accurately frugal, but that's how some people become wealthy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Albrecht#Personal_life
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi for fresh vegetables and cooked meats.

Lidl for the bit of branded stock, fresh bakery and some out of the ordinary products.

Neither do branded cat food so we couldn't do a full shop in either.

Decent value though.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only ever been into Lidl once I didn't enjoy it however I would be willing to go into another if we had one round here. I like my Aldi here in Stratford upon Avon but I didn't like the clientele of the one in Leamington Spa, in fact I'd go so far to say it's my worst shopping experience ever there. It almost put me off Aldi completely, my husband gently persuaded me to visit the one in Stratford upon Avon and I was converted.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As one of the recently upgraded Lidl stores, the one a few miles from me is on the edge of a quite desiriable market town (not where I live, pity). I can assure people, there are very few chavs shopping in there - just look at what metal is parked in the car park. It's quite common to see nearly new range rovers in there. Even saw one of the new Ford mustangs (v8 version) leaving the car park the other day.

This store has at least 2 sizes of shopping cart, possibly 3 (!) - I can't actually remember (all under cover too), plus baskets in store as well

Bakery section is superior to our local sainsburys or even the bigger one nearby. At least Lidl don't run out of bread, unlike sainsburys.

They don't do much in the way of fresh meats and fish - something the very large Tesco (30miles away) does exceptionally well - an entire side of the building devoted to fresh meats, fish, and bread.

As an aside, for a little while I have noticed Iceland have been steadily been trying to improve their image by rolling out new "upmarket" lines. Most recently new delux muffins. Pack of 2 for £2.
  • TobiasBudzynskiTobiasBudzynski Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Lidl better than Aldi plus Lidl is nearer to me than Aldi, but there's a Sainsburys store in between where I live and my nearest branch of Lidl.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed nobody had mentioned "The" Heron with the poles on the trolleys so the chavs can't wheel them to their taxis.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I'm disappointed nobody had mentioned "The" Heron with the poles on the trolleys so the chavs can't wheel them to their taxis.

it`s not supermarket dodgems? :blush:
  • atozatoz Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    just went to aldi for the first time, not impressed

Store was alot dirtier than Lidl, more cramped and less selection
    Also no instore bakery
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    I'm happy to shop in both but in this district Lidl appear to have taken the lead for expansion. Regarding Sainsbury's, this month they have increased their prices by 5p to 20p or so on quite a few items.
    I've noticed that about Sainsburys as well, in fact nearly everything has gone up by at least 10p in my local Sainsbury. In addition, nearly all the basic items (which used to be fantastic value) seem to have disappeared.
    As a result I do most of my shopping in Tesco (for their value brand), and Aldi.
    Personally I think Aldi's own brand is very nice. I gave up buying brands such as Heinz years ago, and don't miss them.
    I also buy some things in poundland which can be good value.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone enlighten me why store experience is so important to some people?

I like Aldi a lot because it optimises the shopping trip for me – especially fast till service.

I am very much an in and out type of shopper, but I’m curious as to WHY some people are invested in things like bagging at the till when ultimately they are spending more time in a supermarket?
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    atoz wrote: »

Also no instore bakery

As has been said a few times, your aldi is dirtier than your lidl its not true of all places. Some lidl are dirtier than aldi some cleaner some are both dirty or both spotless. nothing to do with them as a store.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi's tv adverts are better.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aldi is miles better
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the continent I had a slight preference for Lidl. In the UK they screw around with their prices or drop lines too much. Right now there have been big price hikes on chocolate I see- 15% on some lines.
    Personally, I dislike the sickly sweet smell of their 'bakery'.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    atoz wrote: »

Also no instore bakery

But that sounds just like my nearest Lidl. Not even rats are seen round that store so even they must know something.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that sounds just like my nearest Lidl. Not even rats are seen round that store so even they must know something.

Three Lidls around here . All 3 are spotless , well run and well stocked and lovely polite staff .
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    They're very similar - a lot of unknown brands and some familiar with a large section of the shop floor given over to the 'specials of the week'. You'll find some things you really like in both but in general I find it hard to do a 'full shop' in either.

The days of a "full shop" are long gone for us.
    Decades ago we drove quite a way to pack a full trolley to last a week minimum, maybe longer.
    Today we have every major provider within 10/15 minutes drive max - even duplicated.
    Sainsburys is our "corner shop" and we pass there daily.
    But..... apart from Tesco, M&S, Waitrose, Morrisons and Sainsbury we love browsing in Aldi and Lidl.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be a woman on the tills at the Witney Aldi who was so rude that people used to make special visits to be served by her. :D I once went there and was really disappointed to find that she wasn't working that day.

The staff in my nearest Aldi are wonderful, with an Eastern European lady who really makes my day every time I meet her. My local Lidl seems to regard customers as an inconvenience and if you use their self-service tills, somebody has to come and manually pass every other item. It's obviously luck of the draw with regard to individual stores.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,906
    Forum Member
    Aldi always are cheaper than anyone else for decent beer, most brands are £1.25 or less for 500ml.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Not really a fan of Aldi, I like buying British and tend to buy stuff that is in season. I went to Aldi last summer for some salad. You'd think seeing as Summer is Britain's salad season that a supermarket in Britain would have British grown tomatoes and cucumber but not Aldi. I walked out and went off to Sainsbury's, where the shelves were stocked with a selection of British tomatoes. I believe Lidl do stock British but I don't have one near me so can't comment on that.