DVD Rental by Post

Comments

• talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been with LoveFilm for a few years now. Can not fault them. Turn around depends on your Post Office. I post back weekends rentals on Monday, LoveFilm get them back on Tuesday and post out same day, secret to this is to have a large number of films on your list selected, I will then get the rentals on Wednesday, post back on Thursday receive another batch on Saturday. Only had a couple of failed discs and those were pretty old or obviously vandalised.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not one for gushing over big companies, particularly ones owned by bigger companies like Amazon but I can't fault LoveFilm.

I'm on a (now discontinued) package of four discs at home at a time and seeing as I try to watch at least a film a day I usually always have two discs at home, one in the post on the way back to LF and one in the post on the way to me.

I know other people say that they have trouble getting the latest big releases from them but I can't say I've had that problem because I have absolutely no interest in watching the latest big releases.

I've had a few jumpy discs in the past but I usually just switch players and everything is alright. Only one disc failed to play on every player and LF sent me out a replacement instantly.

The only problem I've had with them in the past was trying to cancel my account. Their retentions department are on a par with Carphone Warehouse and AOL in their intransigence. Even lying to them that I was going on a twelve month tour of Afghanistan with the Bomb Squad didn't work ("Is there anyone else in your house who would like to use the service. If you keep your account open you can still stream films over there.")
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with Lovefilm for over a year. Never really had any problems that affected me and I do get my dvd's sent through pretty quick. I did send an email asking about my credit thing and they sent me an extra movie from my list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished my free trial so will be keeping the service as it is very good and fast. I am on the unlimited package with 2 disks at a time, the streaming is awful though.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Even lying to them that I was going on a twelve month tour of Afghanistan with the Bomb Squad didn't work ("Is there anyone else in your house who would like to use the service. If you keep your account open you can still stream films over there.")

:D:D

It's very are that I have any trouble getting a new release from them. I had to e-mail them a month after Sherlock Holmes sequel came out, but they then gave it to me as an extra rental, so not sure why they didn't ship it before. Same thing is happening right now with 'The Day', but I don't want to e-mail them again in case they think I moan too much :o
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've used Lovefilm for 3 years, and with the exception of 2 scratched discs (which I reported and received free credits for), haven't had any problems with them.

I've always had the basic 3 discs per month package, but they've now changed it so that I get unlimited discs per month for the same basic price I've always paid. That's pretty good service to me!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the postal service for films was very good and continues to be consistent.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started when Amazon first launched the dvd rental service, when it changed to Lovefilm I kept the subscription going and I'm very pleased with the service. I think I've had one dvd that was unplayable due to damage.

On the subject of rental dvd's I'm so surprised at the bad condition these dvd's are when I get them, I don't know how many people have used the dvd's in the past but I'm surprised they are playable with all the damage on the discs. How do they get in such a terrible state?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Had LoveFilm for about 3 year now, no major complaints. Currently on 2 Disc Unlimited package which includes all the LoveFilm instant content which I think is quite good, I find it better than Netflix UK. Only had about 2 discs that didn't work and maybe about 2 discs that went missing but never had any problem sorting it out. Only thing that annoys me is sometime having to wait for quite a while for new release films that are at the top of my rental list.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,036
    Forum Member
    Have been on Lovefilm for years and generally its fine. If I post a Blu Ray back on Monday, I should receive a replacement on Wednesday.

They seem to be encouraging people to move towards on the online streaming service, but the picture quality is poor and there isn't much choice.

Only issue with the Blu Ray service is that

A: not every 20th Century Fox release is on there, on some titles you can get the dvd only
    B: Some other titles can only be requested a few weeks after they have been released on Blu Ray - I guess a way of the studios trying to get you to buy the Blu Ray as soon as its released, rather than rent it
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I don't have many of the latest releases on my rental list and quite often they've sent out an art house movie I'd forgotten was even on my list, being half way down and low priority. I think that means they have very few copies of indie films.
    If you complain, they email you back (from India) quickly and are helpful. Think it's pretty good value.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have lovefilm stopped processing returns on a Saturday or is Royal Mail getting worse?

Used to be the case that if I put returns in the post on a Friday they would be received and processed on the Saturday.
    Noticed over the last few months that this isn't happening, I post on Friday but nothing happens till the Monday.

Is this familiar with Lovefilm users? Or is First Class at weekends Second Class in disguise?
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    In all my years of using Lovefilm they have never recieved discs back on a Saturday. If it's posted before 5:30pm Friday, they don't get it back until Tuesday. If it's posted after 5:30pm Friday, they get it back Monday.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It used to be that before last post Friday, you could see those titles removed from you rental list to be replaced by 'awaiting despatch'. Then the title would be chosen but not posted till Monday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been with LF a few years, never had any faulty discs or lost in post problems.

I did notice recently though that a bluray i rented (i think it was Cabin in the Woods) only had the film on and none of the special features (it wasn't disc 1 of 2 or anything either). I was gutted when i realised and had to just go buy it anyway. i usually rent until the price goes down enough to buy.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,036
    Forum Member
    natstally wrote: »
    I've been with LF a few years, never had any faulty discs or lost in post problems.

I did notice recently though that a bluray i rented (i think it was Cabin in the Woods) only had the film on and none of the special features (it wasn't disc 1 of 2 or anything either). I was gutted when i realised and had to just go buy it anyway. i usually rent until the price goes down enough to buy.

This is fairly common. Rental copies often don't include extras.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had Lovefilm for three years, we use both streaming and postal - only ever had 1 faulty disc besides that no problems.
    It's saved us a fortune!
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,235
    Forum Member
    Are there any postal DVD services with free sign up, no contract and only charge for the disks you rent? I really don't want another direct debit and LoveFilm is £8.99 per month - I only want one film or two tops in that time.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do, been with them for six years now. They're still reliable in my experience, although I switched to renting mainly blu ray earlier this year. Both blu rays and DVDs can still arrive damaged sometimes, yes, but most are still playable.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I find it cheaper to buy DVDs and Blu-rays second hand rather than rent. Good places to look are charity shops, car boot sales, CEX and Ebay. I often pick up pristine new releases for a quid each (for example, Avatar on Blu at the local car boot). Then you can watch the film, keep it if you like it, if not sell it for usually a profit on Ebay.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone still rent games by post and if so with who?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like CInema Paradiso still do

http://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk/

They have a decent line-up as well .. lots of the latest releases.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,235
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the input.
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    I have used Lovefilm since April last year. Used to get it through my bank(the 3 discs a month package) but they have stopped doing it recently so I now pay for it due to having little issues.

I now get unlimited discs a month with 2 discs at home each time. Never had any issue with the DVDs/Blu-Rays apart from Blade Runner which, due to a small scratch on the disc, cut out about 2 mins of the film. Apart from that, all the films have worked fine.
  • rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Have used Lovefilm for years and can only remember one DVD or Bluray that was unplayable. Now it is Amazon Prime the streaming service is much better. For example, I can now watch the first four series of Mad Men if I can ever find the time.