another which tv should i get

2»

Comments

• Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's EVER occurred?, and the degree of 'fiddling' required to use the sets buttons to alter settings means it's pretty unlikely anyway.

If you're demo'ing a TV in the shop then why would you alter the shop mode setting anyway?.

You are kidding - your disappearing remote/remote interference did not hold up so now you're making out it's unlikely that a TV can be altered because there's too much fiddling - not leaving out remotes and no customer interference may happen where you work, but that will not be a given for every other shop/outlet.

Shop mode is a setting where the picture controls are normally set to Max, it makes the set stand out, manufacturers know most consumers pick the brightest most colourful set they can see, it probably has all digital enhancements switched on too, why would you want to demo a tv with all that crap on it. Those who aren't influenced by these overly bright/colourful pictures will want to manually adjust the picture, some stores have a separate viewing area which is not as brightly lit, our Curry's super store has one, they generally show off the higher end TVs in there, this is just one example why someone would be likely to make manual adjustments, it gives you a better idea of how the set will perform in a home environment.

Customers have a right to test the product out to their satisfaction, not to have a retailer/manufacturer tell them what the best pq on a TV is. If I wasn't allowed to demo/test a product because all access was denied I'd take my custom elsewhere.

I would never buy from a super store/outlet anyway, I only go to a dealer who has a dedicated demo room, it's much closer to a home environment, the service is more personal as well.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,426
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    You are kidding - your disappearing remote/remote interference did not hold up so now you're making out it's unlikely that a TV can be altered because there's too much fiddling - not leaving out remotes and no customer interference may happen where you work, but that will not be a given for every other shop/outlet.

It will for most :D

Have you ever tried adjusting a TV without the remote? - I do it on a daily basis, it's hard work.

Shop mode is a setting where the picture controls are normally set to Max, it makes the set stand out, manufacturers know most consumers pick the brightest most colourful set they can see, it probably has all digital enhancements switched on too, why would you want to demo a tv with all that crap on it.

Because that's how it's designed to be demoed, in a bright shop environment - you can't demo a set under such bright conditions unless it's set excessively bright.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So get the shop to turn the lights down or off. Some good independant shops will do this.
    Forum Member
    It will for most :D

Have you ever tried adjusting a TV without the remote? - I do it on a daily basis, it's hard work.
    Now you're making out it's like the Krypton Factor - it may be more time consuming, but it's definitely not hard work - yes, I have adjusted many sets without the remote.

More to the point, why are you constantly adjusting TVs on a daily basis when you previously said 'shops don't attempt to alter the default settings'? Who's changing the settings and why?

.....and if you do it on a daily basis why do you find it hard work, surely it should become easier. :p

Because that's how it's designed to be demoed, in a bright shop environment - you can't demo a set under such bright conditions unless it's set excessively bright.
    Picture settings can and are altered in shops, why are you so adamant they are not?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,426
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Now you're making out it's like the Krypton Factor - it may be more time consuming, but it's definitely not hard work - yes, I have adjusted many sets without the remote.

More to the point, why are you constantly adjusting TVs on a daily basis when you previously said 'shops don't attempt to alter the default settings'? Who's changing the settings and why?

I never said 'in the shop', I'm adjusting TV's that people bring in for repair where very often they don't bring the remote :cry:

.....and if you do it on a daily basis why do you find it hard work, surely it should become easier. :p

If you've done many you need to ask :p

Picture settings can and are altered in shops, why are you so adamant they are not?

Why are you so adamant they are? - they certainly 'can' be, and presumably 'are' occasionally - but only very rarely, certainly not the norm.
    Forum Member
    I never said 'in the shop', I'm adjusting TV's that people bring in for repair where very often they don't bring the remote :cry:

If you've done many you need to ask :p
    I don't do it on a easily basis, but when I do it's not hard work.
    Why are you so adamant they are? - they certainly 'can' be, and presumably 'are' occasionally - but only very rarely, certainly not the norm.
    I've lost count of the number of sets I see that have obviously been altered, they have either the menu box left on screen, too dark, no colour, no channel/demo showing, pip on show etc etc.

I could walk into a super store tomorrow and put money on at least one set will show signs of being altered. In my experience it is fairly common.

Of course, this is only in the stores I visit, this wouldn't' be a representation of every store.

So there is every possibility the sets mentioned earlier could well have been altered, especially if there was a massive difference in comparison.