Options

Women's march on Washington - Saturday 21st January

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Holy shit, you have no idea how right you are. (though you were probably referring to Lovecraft. :D )

Drumpf quotes Bane

What with Dr Doom quoting Cameron, this just emphasises the Marvel/DC split between the UK and the US.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I see our equivalent march in London is about to start.

Fair enough if American women want to protest in the US - it's their country.

But when was the last women's march in London to protest against how women are treated in Saudi Arabia and much of the Middle East and many other truly oppressive nations in the world. Countries where being gay or having an abortion could leave you liable to the death penalty?

Trump also won more votes amongst white women than Clinton - shouldn't they respect the outcome of the US election? Cos in many nations women get no vote at all?

Our closest neighbour has a complete ban on abortion. Why don't they protest against the Irish Government.

Seems rather odd double standards!
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    What with Dr Doom quoting Cameron, this just emphasises the Marvel/DC split between the UK and the US.

Our dystopia is real.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have been more impressed if theyd marched against FGM, honour killings and trafficking to the sex trade to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

But when was the last women's march in London to protest against how women are treated in Saudi Arabia and much of the Middle East and many other truly oppressive nations in the world. Countries where being gay or having an abortion could leave you liable to the death penalty?

Drumpf also won more votes amongst white women than Clinton - shouldn't they respect the outcome of the US election? Cos in many nations women get no vote at all?

Our closest neighbour has a complete ban on abortion. Why don't they protest against the Irish Government.

I accept Clinton lost, but I don't respect any administration that wants to take away my reproductive rights. Are you saying I should because I'm a white woman?

Also, the 1967 abortion rights act does not extend to all parts of the UK. That alone is worth protesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    I'd have been more impressed if theyd marched against FGM, honour killings and trafficking to the sex trade to be honest.

Are those things not already against the law?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    I accept Clinton lost, but I don't respect any administration that wants to take away my reproductive rights. Are you saying I should because I'm a white woman?

Also, the 1967 abortion rights act does not extend to all parts of the UK. That alone is worth protesting.

Maybe they should protest against Enda Kenny or the First minister in NI then - women don't have abortion rights within the entire UK or on the island of Ireland. They are a bit nearer?

It's very easy to protest against the US - might take a bit more guts to organise a march against the Saudis or Afghan or Yemen or many other governments that treat women as second class citizens and have the death penalty for gay people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they should protest against Enda Kenny or the First minister in NI then - women don't have abortion rights within the entire UK or on the island of Ireland. They are a bit nearer?

It's very easy to protest against the US - might take a bit more guts to organise a march against the Saudis or Afghan or Yemen or many other governments that treat women as second class citizens and have the death penalty for gay people.

Have they banned people carrying placards protesting those things? If you feel so strongly about what goes on in Saudi, why not join them?
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why dont you organise one then .? Instead of criticising others for protesting against what they feel is the need . Maybe a lot of the women out today will join you if you rally them .
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Trump also won more votes amongst white women than Clinton - shouldn't they respect the outcome of the US election? Cos in many nations women get no vote at all?

bib - don't protests (legitimately organised ones) have to get permission from a certain body to be held in London (or elsewhere)? I doubt they would get permission to protest against Saudi Arabia, with whom we have £billions in arms and oil deals which tends to pay for our silence on their lack of human rights for the most part.
  • Options
    Sport1Sport1 Posts: 8,819
    Forum Member

Not everything has to be about Muslims you know, despite your best efforts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The women - and many many men - marching today are marching to show solidarity with those protesting in America, so it'd be crazy for them to turn it into a protest against something that the American protesters aren't protesting against!

Solidarity is something we see less of in this world of ours, it's great to see some international unity. After all, Trump is now the most powerful man in the world, not just in America.

I bet there are even a few 'cowpats' there :D (see post 50 for definition :p;-)).
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seem to be quite a few on the march in London, and some of the signs are excellent. Couldn't repeat many of them here, but the "Free Melania" one is funny.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    It's called democracy and it is their right as voters to protest against a president who, based on past actions and rhetoric, they feel is not equipped to represent themselves as women.

I can't stand Trump and think it's a terrible time for America if he can be voted president. But, if you are going to use the democracy excuse to support these protesters, then the democracy excuse can be used to defend Trump becoming president. I think it's very hypocritical for these people to be protesting against democracy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    I can't stand Trump and think it's a terrible time for America if he can be voted president. But, if you are going to use the democracy excuse to support these protesters, then the democracy excuse can be used to defend Trump becoming president. I think it's very hypocritical for these people to be protesting against democracy.

I thought they were protesting his views, his policy, what he's said he was going to do? It's his democratic right to hold those views, theirs to protest against them.

People protesting against politicians has happened since politicians existed, it's been part of how things get changed, how workers got some of the rights they enjoy now, how gay men got the right to marry, and so on.

Opposition should exist - even Cameron *spits* ;) got angry that he wasn't being opposed properly, it's important to have opposition, or else you have NO democracy and no accountability.

ETA: Politicians are there to represent the people, even those who voted against them, and the people have a right to voice their displeasure or disagreement.

See Iceland - the people can have power over their representatives.
  • Options
    ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. This nation is totally divided! - Donald J Trump, Twitter, 7 Nov 2012

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/266034630820507648?lang=en
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone explain to me what the point is?

Yes, I get it raises awareness that people don't want Trump to be president, but what is the point of UK citizens (who have no say in American politics, some have probably never even been to America, and they certainly can't vote for the American president) protesting against Trump? It just seems like an utter waste of time.

I can understand the women's march in Washington - they're American citizens who will be most affected by Trump's policies and presidency. They can vote. But UK citizens? It just confuses me.

Sort out problems in your own country and do stuff about that before worrying about what goes on in other countries.
  • Options
    Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I get it raises awareness that people don't want Trump to be president, but what is the point of UK citizens (who have no say in American politics, some have probably never even been to America, and they certainly can't vote for the American president) protesting against Trump? It just seems like an utter waste of time.

I can understand the women's march in Washington - they're American citizens who will be most affected by Trump's policies and presidency. They can vote. But UK citizens? It just confuses me.

Sort out problems in your own country and do stuff about that before worrying about what goes on in other countries.

Erm, think you answered your own question
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member

I can understand the women's march in Washington - they're American citizens who will be most affected by Trump's policies and presidency. They can vote. But UK citizens?

To show solidarity.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solidarity basically. It didn't just happen in the UK, there were protests across the globe.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Donald Trump is a sexist pig, however the way women are treated in countries like India, Africa and Saudi Arabia is a much bigger concern. I can't see America taking a massive step backwards when it comes to women's rights just because Trump himself is a knob when it comes to young women.
  • Options
    Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    As if DT will take any notice so a complete waste of time.
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, think you answered your own question
    I realise it sounds like I did :D but I still don't really understand, it won't change anything, it just seems like a waste of time.
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    To show solidarity.

Really?
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realise it sounds like I did :D but I still don't really understand, it won't change anything, it just seems like a waste of time.

Protests don't have to result in change for them to still be effective.