Do you believe in Karma

Comments

• wot-lies.aheadwot-lies.ahead Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Karma is a Hindu and Buddhist concept and involves reincarnation. For example: damage done to ones psychic body in one lifetime becomes manifest in the body as some corresponding vulnerability in the next.

People use the word in so many different contexts.

For those who don't believe in any kind of continuance of life after bodily death, the lesson for them may be that "some scumbags live charmed lives" and "get away with murder". Someone who believes in some kind of continuance of life may disagree.

There are so many cultural assumptions that people work into their beliefs, without even realizing it. The question of karma (which I don't believe in) or something "karma-like", which I do believe in, is a very deep one.

Above all, I note that life is perfectly fair. Life is a "miracle" of perfection, despite what our biases and taboos may lead us to believe.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,921
    Forum Member
    My violent ex hasn't had any karma visited on him ... yet anyway.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My violent ex hasn't had any karma visited on him ... yet anyway.

I do feel what goes around comes around, even if a little slow in happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice how some people view karma as a "tool of revenge".
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    owen10 wrote: »
    I always think that if you do something bad in your life then it will catch up with you in the long run

What is the saying. What goes around comes around

I believe in it to a certain extent. Bad people will eventually have something bad happen to them, caused by another person or persons they've pissed off.

If I hear that somebody that has crossed me has been injured/killed or died, it's a schadenfreude moment for me.

They deserved it IMO.
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member

People have been saying that through the thread. It makes people feel better "knowing others will get theirs" But lets turn it around if someone does something bad to you, is that your own Karma, did you deserve it.

Sometimes people just have a bad start in life and it just gets worse, others have a good life .. its not Karma its life.

Ive had a crap life up till the last 6 or 7 years (if Kama is true I was Hitler in a past life, that is how bad my life was :D) . I changed my life by changing what my focus was. I thought I was a very positive person and I am, but the way I was thinking was negative even though I was a upbeat person.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whereas, it's really all about getting to "heaven".

Interestingly, there is another thread on that very topic. Currently "debating" taxation and property values. I suppose by way of a comparison karma as a "tool of revenge" is almost topical.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cinga wrote: »
    I believe in Karma.

People get what they deserve eventually.

Sadly they do not.

Read the history books.

In the end the universe is not benign or hostile it is simply indifferent.
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 126,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly they do not.

Read the history books.

In the end the universe is not benign or hostile it is simply indifferent.
    I have read the history books. And believe that Adolf Hitler got what he deserved at the end as the Russians would have killed him, if he did not kill himself instead
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I wish I did, but people like Trump make it very difficult to believe in it.

I reckon someone will have a pop at him, try and take him out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read the history books. And believe that Adolf Hitler got what he deserved at the end as the Russians would have killed him, if he did not kill himself instead

After how many innocent people died again?

I remember someone mentioning a little thing called World War Two - plus the Holocaust of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kizzie wrote: »
    Sometimes people just have a bad start in life and it just gets worse, others have a good life .. its not Karma its life.

...which is "karma-like". :D
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 126,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    After how many innocent people died again?

I remember someone mentioning a little thing called World War Two - plus the Holocaust of course.
    Yes, But he did not live long after as the bad things he did caught up with him in end

You could call it Karma or you call it something else. But people who do some of the worst things imaginable always pay in the end

Some of the worst dictators in the world who have committed bad things in the past have lost their lives eventually because of their crimes like

Idi Amin
    Saddam Hussain

These people were caught and either were jailed or executed for their crimes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, But he did not live long after as the bad things he did caught up with him in end

You could call it Karma or you call it something else. But people who do some of the worst things imaginable always pay in the end

Some of the worst dictators in the world who have committed bad things in the past have lost their lives eventually because of their crimes like

Idi Amin
    Saddam Hussain

These people were caught and either were jailed or executed for their crimes

Amin lived in luxury until his death if I remember correctly. :confused:

Everyone dies eventually - that is not justice.

Most scumbags ranging from your average cheating or abusive bastard/bitch up to and including genocidal maniacs never see a trace of 'Karma' - because it does not exist.
  • Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not per ce but I do believe firmly that you reap what you sow in life. If you try to live your life positively, as a good person who is non judgemental and do what you can to help others just because it is the right thing to do, with no expectation of gaining something in return then I do believe you generally live a better life. Generally, you have more people in your life who are willing to help you through the turns and knocks in your own life. It's not Karma it's just about living your life collaboratively.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Amin lived in luxury until his death if I remember correctly. :confused:

Everyone dies eventually - that is not justice.

Most scumbags ranging from your average cheating or abusive bastard/bitch up to and including genocidal maniacs never see a trace of 'Karma' - because it does not exist.

Yup. Sure did.

You've also got the likes of Mugabe who's still alive at 92 (so has outlived both of my parents) and Kim Jong-il who died of natural causes at the age of 69.

The problem is that someone comes up with a few dicators or mass murderes who were caught and executed/incarcerated and it's seen as evidence of some mystical woo-hoo. In the meantime, millions of people who didn't go around torturing or murdering have had to deal with all sorts of crap throughout their lives and/or died in somewhat unpleasant ways.

Just in case anyone wants to say "Aha! But how do you know they didn't do bad things?", perhaps we should just stick to the millions of young kids who died prematurely. Did they get what they deserved?

Basically, what people seem to be saying is that if you do bad things, bad things might happen to you. However, if you don't do bad things, bad things might still happen to you.

The phrase 'No sh*t, Sherlock' springs to mind.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most people on thread are not discussing Karma as it is taught and practiced in Hinduism and Buddhism - that would be quite a complicated discussion.

I hope people understand that.
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Most people on thread are not discussing Karma as it is taught and practiced in Hinduism and Buddhism - that would be quite a complicated discussion.

Yes they say Kama gets you in the next life. Another belief I think comes from the rich to make the poor think they will get a better life next time and so accept their lot gracefully.

I do believe in reincarnations and I do believe we choose our life. I also believe each time we are here we grow spiritually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People have more fun banging square pegs into round holes.
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member

Yeah it is and a bitch when it catches up with you, However Fate is much worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup. Sure did.

You've also got the likes of Mugabe who's still alive at 92 (so has outlived both of my parents) and Kim Jong-il who died of natural causes at the age of 69.

The problem is that someone comes up with a few dicators or mass murderes who were caught and executed/incarcerated and it's seen as evidence of some mystical woo-hoo. In the meantime, millions of people who didn't go around torturing or murdering have had to deal with all sorts of crap throughout their lives and/or died in somewhat unpleasant ways.

Just in case anyone wants to say "Aha! But how do you know they didn't do bad things?", perhaps we should just stick to the millions of young kids who died prematurely. Did they get what they deserved?

Basically, what people seem to be saying is that if you do bad things, bad things might happen to you. However, if you don't do bad things, bad things might still happen to you.

The phrase 'No sh*t, Sherlock' springs to mind.

Minor point, I know, but I read Amin lived in luxury suffering from the advanced stages of syphilis, which had caused brain damage. Sometimes it can be a mercy to die younger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are even variations across Hinduism and Buddhism. That's why I worded my post #2 response like this:
    No. I don't believe in "Karma" as far as I have seen it explained.

Although I am aware of the "phenomenon" that karma addresses (which I believe 'exists'), I do not agree with any of the ways karma tries to explain it.
  • ytsejamytsejam Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Sadly, NO, I don't believe there is karma in life at all. Some people can lead bad lives all their life and ALWAYS end up smiling and getting away with things whilst others can lead good, honest lives 99.9% of the time but if they even ever do one thing slighhtly wrong, they suffer for it.
    Life is all about "LUCK" you're either born lucky or unlucky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ytsejam wrote: »
    Sadly, NO, I don't believe there is karma in life at all. Some people can lead bad lives all their life and ALWAYS end up smiling and getting away with things whilst others can lead good, honest lives 99.9% of the time but if they even ever do one thing slighhtly wrong, they suffer for it.
    Life is all about "LUCK" you're either born lucky or unlucky.

That is not what karma is about. Karma sits within a framework of rebirth. So, taking a bit of the idea and trying to stuff it into a materialistic Western framework doesn't work.
  • TetherTether Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The universe and life has a certain rhythm, although it is a nice idea that good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people, it simply isn't true.

I do think however that most bullies, scammers and generally nasty individuals get their up-and-commence at some point. Unfortunately living a good and generous life doesn't in any way guarantee you any rewards, you can still be murdered, die of cancer or die in a car crash. It is the absurdity of life.

My advice would be just love connecting with the people, in the end that's all that really matters.