sophie and Brendans Charleston

Comments

• StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dislike the charleston because of the gurning and the comedy story lines (James dressed like a complete idiot in his charleston with Denise last year for example...and ALL of the ghastly routine Chris and Ola did :eek:).

Sophie and Brendan did a classy charleston. Top marks from me.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I think I can safely say it was Brendan's best Charleston ever ...

:):):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    marvellous dance, well choreographed, well executed, but some of the tricks were a little clumsy.. can't believe this is the same girl as did that rather floppy waltz last week!

With slicker tricks, it would have been full house 10's, even in week two. They might repeat it in the final for their 10's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Loved Sophie & B's dance, my fav charelston, I actually prefer the straight charelstons to the comedic ones.She was made for that dance !!:)
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I dislike the charleston because of the gurning and the comedy story lines (James dressed like a complete idiot in his charleston with Denise last year for example...and ALL of the ghastly routine Chris and Ola did :eek:).

Yep :) totally agree
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sophie has never had any formal dance training though has she;)

The best ever Charleston is still Chris Hollins and Ola's though, just brilliant.

I agree,although Sophie and Brendan will be a close second :).
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    With slicker tricks, it would have been full house 10's, even in week two. They might repeat it in the final for their 10's.

yes indeed, there certainly wasn't much if anything else to fault them on. and it helps that she so looks the part.
  • verity65verity65 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Brilliant dance in a league of their own.
  • mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    I loved her Charleston steps. Hated the lifts and tricks though. Week 8 they'd probably be better executed though.

Brendan looked great.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't remember Brendan every doing anything hammy or cheesy. He either does classic or dramatic. Loathed everything about Chris and Ola.
  • nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sophie has the perfect look to be a flapper. I think they have peaked though

You could be right. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if that's her best dance of the series and maybe even by some distance.

I don't have high hopes for her when it comes to Latin dances like the Salsa or Cha Cha, but I'll just enjoy that Charleston for now. :)
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Tissy wrote: »
    Yep :) totally agree

Me, too. I loved Sophie and Brendan tonight. (I loathed the Cola Charleston. An object lesson in style over substance, and a style that was not to my taste.)
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's just a question of taste. Original Charleston is comedy and wild and gurning. It's an acceptable style.

I liked Sophie's Charleston mind, she was crisp and very good, she surprised me.
  • MrsGrahamMrsGraham Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top marks from me too. It just looked effortless!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember Brendan every doing anything hammy or cheesy. He either does classic or dramatic. Loathed everything about Chris and Ola.

:eek: I think he's got a big side of overdramatic cheese.

I quite like it, especially his infamous showdance.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mia75 wrote: »
    I loved her Charleston steps. Hated the lifts and tricks though. Week 8 they'd probably be better executed though.

Brendan looked great.

They looked a bit dodgy to me too, frightening. They could sort them though and do the dance again later in the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nagel84 wrote: »
    You could be right. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if that's her best dance of the series and maybe even by some distance.

I don't have high hopes for her when it comes to Latin dances like the Salsa or Cha Cha, but I'll just enjoy that Charleston for now. :)

I don't think she's peaked and I do believe she'll have a tough time trying to be loose, but I also didn't think the Charleston would be her dance... nor did I think she'd ever even attempt and pull off lifts like those... so I think you may be proved wrong in the coming weeks. Sophie is growing.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's just a question of taste. Original Charleston is comedy and wild and gurning. It's an acceptable style.

I liked Sophie's Charleston mind, she was crisp and very good, she surprised me.

It certainly is ;)
  • yorkshirelass2yorkshirelass2 Posts: 2,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree too. I loved Chris and Ola but this is definitely my 2nd place.
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Sophie was brilliant - Brendan not so much tbh. He didn't really have the spirit of the dance down right imho. he was too "pretty". Great routine though and Sophie was brilliant.
  • millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The best ever Charleston is still Chris Hollins and Ola's though, just brilliant.

Loved their Charleston too. Chris and Ola had good chemistry.

Sophia and Bredan's Charleston was energetic from start to finish, just brillant. Think it is my favourite dances that I have seen on Strickly in a while. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was a fine example of what I hate about Strictly Charlestons: short on technique and big on gurning and tomfoolery. One of the most overrated dances ever on Strictly IMO.

Kara and Artem's is still the best for me, but Sophie's tonight is now probably my second favourite and was similar in style to Kara's. Both having that genuine 20s sassy, jazzy feel to them.

Denise's was technically very good but I hated the music and Egyptian theme to it.
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant, although Sophie danced it better than Brendan in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Becky245 wrote: »
    I don't think she's peaked and I do believe she'll have a tough time trying to be loose, but I also didn't think the Charleston would be her dance... nor did I think she'd ever even attempt and pull off lifts like those... so I think you may be proved wrong in the coming weeks. Sophie is growing.

I hope I am. I very much like her and the more good dancing the better. :)
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gcmac wrote: »
    I thought it was brilliant, although Sophie danced it better than Brendan in my opinion.

I agree.