Options

Christmas Decorations You Hate

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
Forum Member
✭✭
It's that time of year when we feel we have to fill our houses with tat for fear of being called miserable.

My ex used to refuse to have wreaths because they reminded him of funerals (which had never even occured to me until then). My current husband despises tinsel so we have very little of it. I abhor things hanging from the ceiling and have to go to all sorts of lengths to stop him hanging baubles and anything else he can find.

I also, never, ever know what to do with cards so that they don't look like nothing but a mess.

What decorations do you hate, put up with or refuse to have?

Comments

• Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I don't like all the tacky lights, especially the blue LED ones. I hate the pink christmas trees too, they look vile in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Snow spray, purple tinsel, black/pink/white trees, anything blue, animated lights.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »

Erm, ALL of them :cool:
  • Options
    crazyguyz999crazyguyz999 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate those tacky plastic wall decorations some people have in the shape of christmas bells or Santas face like these:

http://www.tonnish.com/Autumn%20Foliage/68028A.jpg

Some are ok, but some look tacky I think
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have little kids so just grin and bear the general tack level. They know I'd draw the line at exterior inflatable santas and lights, though... My youngest is 9 and adores xmas so we are going all out to make it super tacky for him, this year - he has snow globes, advent calendars, and he watched Kirsty's Handmade Xmas enthralled tonight now is full of plans for what we're gonna make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about huge inflatable things on the front lawn? Yuk!
  • Options
    crazyguyz999crazyguyz999 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about those inflatable Christmas decos people have outside and in the window too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Icicle lights!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I have little kids so just grin and bear the general tack level. They know I'd draw the line at exterior inflatable santas and lights, though... My youngest is 9 and adores xmas so we are going all out to make it super tacky for him, this year - he has snow globes, advent calendars, and he watched Kirsty's Handmade Xmas enthralled tonight now is full of plans for what we're gonna make.

:D

I always say I can't wait until the kids have gone, when I can take a ready decorated tree out of a box and say, "Done".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

I always say I can't wait until the kids have gone, when I can take a ready decorated tree out of a box and say, "Done".

I used to feel like that but he's the youngest of 5, and once he don't believe anymore, that's the end of a 20-odd year era of our lives! So now I am milking xmas for all it's worth, for his sake, this year! Think I took it for granted that seeing it through their eyes kind of thing, and now I don't think we'll have another year when he still believes! :D:D
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the big garish garden things, next door used to have a ton of them. To be honest I like everything traditional. Fairy lights should be white, trees should be green etc.

I see those tacky coloured trees in work all the time, I wish just once I could tell a customer what horrendous taste they have. A pink tree? Yuck!
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Those look awful, theres a house down the road that has loads of them.
  • Options
    jeymzjeymz Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinsel. ALL TINSEL. I mean what the hell even is it, really?
    Oh and I'm not sure they're actually Christmas decorations, but in my house we used to have chains of plastic silver bells and red/silver beads on a wire. They were hideous.
  • Options
    The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flashing lights that flash on............................then off..........................then on............well you get the idea
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Santa dangling off the roof or chimney! If this storm gets bad he better hang on tight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so glad I'm not the only moany and fussy beggar about certain decorations :D Add me to the pink Xmas tree list.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    It's that time of year when we feel we have to fill our houses with tat for fear of being called miserable.

My ex used to refuse to have wreaths because they reminded him of funerals (which had never even occured to me until then). My current husband despises tinsel so we have very little of it. I abhor things hanging from the ceiling and have to go to all sorts of lengths to stop him hanging baubles and anything else he can find.

I also, never, ever know what to do with cards so that they don't look like nothing but a mess.

Christmas decorations which are put up outside the house. Just too pretentious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I don't like those blow up lit up Father Christmas' and snowmen that people have in their gardens. They sway in a breeze and look a little scary to me.
    In the same way I don't like the automated figures like elfs and penguins in town shopping centre displays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand trees any colour other than green, paper chains, paper pull-out bells, tinsel, coloured lights, anthing hanging from the ceiling apart from mistletoe and MERRY XMAS wonkily blu tacked to the window. :)
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate blue lights. I think that they look cold and depressing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I hate blue lights. I think that they look cold and depressing.
    Me too. Blue lights do make you feel cold. I don't like blues pinks or purple baubles on my tree either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flashing lights that flash on............................then off..........................then on............well you get the idea

Passed one of them in someone's window last night - right in their living room it was. Would give me a migraine, even being in the same room as it.

There is a house and garden near us (like the aforementioned, a newly built house) which has the side wall and back garden entirely covered in lights.

One of my neighbours is a lovely bloke who is an electrician and he took a perfectly nice weeping willow in his front garden and entombed every branch of it in lights. He killed the tree, not surprisingly and he has to chop it down after last xmas. Now he's somehow put it back up, on a stand or summat, again entombed in white chaser lights. wtf is that about.
  • Options
    LinusJLinusJ Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Tinsel, lametta, foil garlands and ceiling decorations. Still trying to find external house decorations which I like the look of beyond a string of lights.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever seen those upside down Christmas trees? :eek: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Best Bauble Ever. Got it in a charity shop a couple of years back. It's a 70s plastic bauble that's hollowed out and inside it is a little plastic nativity scene - proper marys and jesuses and everything. Although they are not entirely middle eastern as they are in a snowdrift and there's a fir tree, too. I will have to photo it.