Four In A Bed..New Series..Mon 12 March..5.30pm..Ch 4.

Comments

• NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a fowl thing to say to me. :(

I promise that's the last one... I won't crack any more... :p
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,704
    Forum Member
    ^ you snook another one in there though, bad girl :D

It just struck me that his places are the kind you only go to once.
    If it was a brand or a chain it's not one I'd look for.

Appreciate the jokes but you're definitely doing him a favour, he seems very serious to me, not much sense of humour really.
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    ^ you snook another one in there though, bad girl :D

It just struck me that his places are the kind you only go to once.
    If it was a brand or a chain it's not one I'd look for.

Appreciate the jokes but you're definitely doing him a favour, he seems very serious to me, not much sense of humour really.

I totally agree, they are one night stop-overs and not somewhere to go for a nice relaxing break, that said, I wouldn't stay at any of the others so far this week for more than 1 night if that.

Brand-Saba is just looking for an advertising opportunity and it might help his business or get his mug on TV but for discerning short breakers he has achieved nothing IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    As soon as I heard the Saba guy's tone and pitch of voice, I knew what his small talk would be like. Sure enough, at dinner in the yuppie chipper, out came the business cards. In this craven neoliberal social order, the one person whose delusions you aren't allowed to shatter is the business studies nitwit. He dreams of a chain whilst being incompetent to run even a single establishment. He doesn't put out a hot menu because he might actually have to cook something (did he have any other staff?); he offers airing-cupboard rooms with uselessly short curtains; breakfast is a buffet. The sign on the front makes the place look like a mobile phone shop, and he's got another little one next to his workstation. So he remembers which one he's in?

For the second time with this group, we have someone who doesn't really run a B&B taking part; the Hull women had a musty boozer and a box of Alpen, this guy has a hotel for business travellers who've had to lump it. Fingers crossed that tomorrow we finally catch sight of a full English breakfast. Candida is terrific; my favourite moments were her refusal to continue arsing about on exercise equipment and remark that the Saba's facilities were good 'if you wanted to catch a bus'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the guy had stumbled in from an Appretice audition by accident:eek:

What was his USP exactly? Looked no different to many a two-bit hotel in London to me.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As soon as I heard the Saba guy's tone and pitch of voice, I knew what his small talk would be like. Sure enough, at dinner in the yuppie chipper, out came the business cards. In this craven neoliberal social order, the one person whose delusions you aren't allowed to shatter is the business studies nitwit. He dreams of a chain whilst being incompetent to run even a single establishment. He doesn't put out a hot menu because he might actually have to cook something (did he have any other staff?); he offers airing-cupboard rooms with uselessly short curtains; breakfast is a buffet. The sign on the front makes the place look like a mobile phone shop, and he's got another little one next to his workstation. So he remembers which one he's in?

For the second time with this group, we have someone who doesn't really run a B&B taking part; the Hull women had a musty boozer and a box of Alpen, this guy has a hotel for business travellers who've had to lump it. Fingers crossed that tomorrow we finally catch sight of a full English breakfast. Candida is terrific; my favourite moments were her refusal to continue arsing about on exercise equipment and remark that the Saba's facilities were good 'if you wanted to catch a bus'.

Completely agree with this!

And what is with the "activities" they all do now? Has the show completely done away with the concept of showing what their B&B's area has to offer, like how it was in the earlier series? I wouldn't consider working out in a gym in the heart of London fun, full stop, whether the trainer was a personal one or not! And how this can be reflected in the final result is just a joke!

Have to say this week I am not impressed with any of the accommodations featured so far! None of them seem to take pride in the provision of a good breakfast, which for me, and a lot of people I know, is a fundamental part of the B&B experience! Maybe tomorrow's place will be different, but I have to mention that the sign on the wall of the building looks awful imo, and I was somewhat put off by her clapping her hands at the waitress!

ETA: And if tonight's hotel was supposed to be budget, I don't think I will ever be able to afford to visit London!
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idiot_box wrote: »

What was his USP exactly? Looked no different to many a two-bit hotel in London to me.

He also reminded me of an Apprentice candidate. He was all me, me, wonderful me and had all the usual gobbledygook spin. He is just like Rowena really - high up there on a pedestal of their own making. :rolleyes:

Helen AKA Mavis Riley is irritating and soppy. The land-ladies are lazy but fun. Peter reminds me of someone. Is it Paul Burrell? Anyway, candid Candida (nice enough woman) wears the pants in that relationship & maybe more than that?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £149 for a budget hotel :eek:

My thoughts exactly. We stayed in a club room in a very central London hotel,which also included a full English breakfast for little more than that. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    There are hot eggs - but only via the telepathic menu :rolleyes:

What's with the kitchen roll on every table?

The rooms are small, but often city centre rooms are. These do seem very cramped though. The beds and other furniture look very cheap, although the rooms do seem spotless.

I really wouldn't like the hustle and bustle right outside my room door at 4.30am onwards.

The beds would be my issue. Cheap = uncomfortable.
    He didnt want to put menus on the table about the hot, cooked food because he didnt want to over excite his guests :confused:

Translation: He didn't want to put menus on the table because he doesn't want to advertise that scrambled eggs etc are available. It saves staff time and the cost of the eggs!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I think I'm in trouble. We are going to London in just over a week & have already arranged (and paid) for our cooked brekkie. Should I see my GP for some meds, just in case I get too over excited? :p
  • tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Longtime lurker/FiaB fan, first time poster.

I live very near the Hammersmith/Shepherd's Bush area and pass through it daily. It's about 20-25 minutes on the tube into central London/West End - which is fine, but no one would consider it central. I did wonder if the production puts limitations on travel, which is why they had to stick to that area for their activity and dinner, rather than going into central London/West End. That would explain a lot. (Incidentally I've been to that fish place, and it's decent, but nothing special. There aren't many really good restaurants there, though Westfield has some slightly more upmarket chain restaurants.)

Have to say Shepherd's Bush Road is a pretty dodgy area. Parts of Shepherd's Bush are fine (it has a fantastic theatre - David Tennant's stage production of Much Ado was developed and rehearsed there) but that road has literally about a hundred hotels on it and some of them don't even have names. There are some that are business or budget tourist type hotels, but many of them are like homeless accommodation. Long-term accommodation. It's also a crazy busy road -- there are plenty of hotels in London that are on much quieter roads, even in more central parts. Personally I would not stay on that road if my life depended on it. I'm not surprised the others were put off by it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he had one. Not everyone / everything can have an USP. Unfortunately, it's a bit of marketing speak that did once mean something significant but has crept into general jargon speech and is now used by muppets who have no real idea how to define a USP, how to develop it and how to use it as an aid to differentiate and market themselves. What was last night's hotelier's USP? There isn't one. Imo.

Though he could have some fun with

"Discover London's best kept secret...

...the most exciting eggs you'll never know about".
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Anyway, candid Candida (nice enough woman) wears the pants in that relationship & maybe more than that?!
    Pants and bra, you mean? :p

I like her too. I don't think she's putting anything on (apart from the pants) for the cameras and what we see is what you get.

I'm sad to say this show is beginning to lose its appeal for me. The activities are getting a bit silly - as someone said earlier. There must have been some odd little museum or house or ghost walk that could have been used - and been more relevant - rather than see a bunch of people taking baby steps on cross-trainers.

But it's more that the quality of the properties just aren't as interesting as previous series. I didn't even find last weeks episodes that rivetting. And the amount of re-capping is absurd.

ps: Welcome to tszujme - it's more fun here than in lurkdom! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »

I like her too. I don't think she's putting anything on (apart from the pants) for the cameras and what we see is what you get.

I'm sad to say this show is beginning to lose its appeal for me. The activities are getting a bit silly - as someone said earlier. There must have been some odd little museum or house or ghost walk that could have been used - and been more relevant - rather than see a bunch of people taking baby steps on cross-trainers.

But it's more that the quality of the properties just aren't as interesting as previous series. I didn't even find last weeks episodes that rivetting. And the amount of re-capping is absurd.

ps: Welcome to tszujme - it's more fun here than in lurkdom! :cool:

No. ^^

They have gone for really weird B&Bs this week. At the Whittington & Cat it looks the landlady doesn't even live in. Perhaps that's why she doesn't do cooked breakfasts. Also imagine being the only resident stuck there all night in that old mausoleum!

The recapping is tedious. I record it and whizz through all that.
  • tynka belltynka bell Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Surely he could have printed off a couple of sheets of A4 and stuck them on the wall of the "breakfast room" advertising his 'hot eggs' (and was it only eggs, no bacon, sausage, toast?) It was really quite bizarrre his 'if guests don't ask, they don't get' attitude.
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'eggs' saga reminded me of a b and b we stayed in on the Isle of Sheppey the night before we caught the ferry to Holland. The woman asked what we would like for breakfast....' I have my own hens so you may have, boiled eggs , creamy scrambled eggs, fried eggs, eggy bread.........we didn't comment so reluctantly in the end she said ' I THINK I have a little bacon too!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tynka bell wrote: »
    Surely he could have printed off a couple of sheets of A4 and stuck them on the wall of the "breakfast room" advertising his 'hot eggs' (and was it only eggs, no bacon, sausage, toast?) It was really quite bizarrre his 'if guests don't ask, they don't get' attitude.

It saves him money!
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all

Am thinking that tonight's might be the best of the bunch...
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll miss tonights as I'm out at the bingo!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good luck!!
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And I'm actually here!
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks BG a Thursday is our bingo night coz it's free lol.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,704
    Forum Member
    Evening All

The guy who was team leader last night on The Apprentice was very similar :D
    Alba_Og wrote: »
    ... Should I see my GP for some meds, just in case I get too over excited? :p

Definitely, I wouldn't be taking any chances if I were you. Otherwise pack a plain brown paper bag to breathe into (incase you hyperventilate)
    tszujme wrote: »
    Longtime lurker/FiaB fan, first time poster.

Welcome, nice to see new faces and I agree with everything you said
    Normandie wrote: »

Seconded (on all counts except the bra...I'll skirt around that one (see below)
    ewoodie wrote: »
    No. ^^

Lucky you couldn't see the expression on my face when I read what you put :p
    Gwylfa wrote: »
    ... reluctantly in the end she said ' I THINK I have a little bacon too!!

Oh dear, oh dear.

Some people really don't get the meaning of the term 'hospitality industry' do they?

Right here we go again.

PS
    BG, wouldn't be hard really, would it? let's hope so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's checking to see if they nicked coat hangers :eek::eek::rolleyes:
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done that willow thing...it's hard..:(