M83

Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
Forum Member
Discovered this band how quite a few have; via Midnight City. Great song, especially on a night out, but after finally deciding to dig deeper I've discovered; their old stuff is so much better. Saturdays=Youth has quickly became one of my favourite albums of all time and now I can't help but feel they went seriously downhill going from that album to "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming" which even though it has a few good tracks, pales in comparison to their earlier albums.

Any other M83 fans?

Comments

• FrankJaegerFrankJaeger Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Yes they are brilliant. They have a totally unique sound and just seem so refreshingly original. Kim & Jessie is one of my favourites.

Such is the musical taste of the average person though this thread will be lucky to reach 5 replies.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I like Midnight City and I really must check out some of their other stuff. How would you describe their style of music? Is it electro, rock or a crossover or something?
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Everybody loves Midnight City! lol

I was surprised to find out they were an alternative band tbh, since Midnight City sounds like an electropop song.
  • FrankJaegerFrankJaeger Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    I like Midnight City and I really must check out some of their other stuff. How would you describe their style of music? Is it electro, rock or a crossover or something?

Wikipedia goes for...
    Synthpop, shoegaze, dream pop, indietronica, ambient, post-rock, New Wave

:D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I was surprised to find out they were an alternative band tbh, since Midnight City sounds like an electropop song.

That's what I thought when I first heard it. I guess alternative synth/electronic music does exist though. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just curious.
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M83 like their keyboards. I'd like a M83 t-shirt that just says "Turn up the ****ing Keyboard' underneath a picture of the 'Hurry we're Dreaming' album cover
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    That's what I thought when I first heard it. I guess alternative synth/electronic music does exist though. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just curious.

Synths are huge in the alternative world at the moment. If you love M83, there are lots of other bands you'll probably like.

My favourite song of theirs is We Own The Sky.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sort of...post-electronica.

They're good.

My favourite album is probably "Dead Cities.."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    have been into M83 for about five years now, so no stranger to them prior to midnight city, and yes as someone else stated Saturdays Youth is an epic album.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member
    I'd say they're sort of an electro-shoegaze?
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching NME one day and there was a weird video on it so I checked it out. Then Midnight City comes on. I love it. It's on my iPod and I just think it is amazing :):):):):):):):):):)
  • DaveBeansDaveBeans Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...have a look at Ladytron...similar "thing" to M83...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMynl9QX7g
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How strange - I purchased Saturdays = Youth on a whim the other day after it came up on Amazon recommended, and I've not stopped listening to it since!