A Ghost Story for Christmas

~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
Forum Member
Why doesn't the BBC show these little gems any longer? I used to look forward to them and they had some cracking little stories. :mad:

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They showed some not that long ago and even commissioned a couple of new ones. You don’t need to wait for them to be repeated however as there’s just been a boxset of the lot released and very affordable it is too.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Why doesn't the BBC show these little gems any longer? I used to look forward to them and they had some cracking little stories. :mad:

Christmas has passed dearie :p and we've had numerous threads on a similar subject.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Christmas has passed dearie :p and we've had numerous threads on a similar subject.

Christmas hasn't passed yet, "dearie", still seven days to go as Twelfth Night is on 6th January and, as for the other numerous threads, I haven't seen any but please accept my most humble apologies for missing them. :rolleyes:
  • morrisleemorrislee Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Christmas hasn't passed yet, "dearie", still seven days to go as Twelfth Night is on 6th January and, as for the other numerous threads, I haven't seen any but please accept my most humble apologies for missing them. :rolleyes:

lol nicely put ..I havent noticed any and i agree used to love a Ghost story between christmas and New Year .I remember one called Room 13 which was quite scary :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the MR James stories with the Christopher Lee intros that they showed in the 90s. I wish they'd repeat those or do something similar. There should be a good ghost story on at Christmas, and not just every version made of A Christmas Carol (much as I love the Alastair Sim one).
  • Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I don't know what these ones with "Christopher Lee intros" were. I can only guess you mean the stories he read in 2000. If so, three of them are included in the set:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/dvd_reviews_58/ghost_stories_for_christmas.htm
    Who needs broadcasts when you can watch these in your own time without some idiot announcer spoiling the atmos by jabbering over the closing credits?
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    I don't know what these ones with "Christopher Lee intros" were. I can only guess you mean the stories he read in 2000. If so, three of them are included in the set:
    Who needs broadcasts when you can watch these in your own time without some idiot announcer spoiling the atmos by jabbering over the closing credits?

A great set. A pity the Robert Powell read stories were not included.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,522
    Forum Member
    M@nterik wrote: »
    A great set. A pity the Robert Powell read stories were not included.

Which ones did Robert Powell read and when were they made?
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member

Better still, seek out the audio recordings of many of the M. R. James ghost stories, superbly narrated by the late, great Sir Michael Hordern. They are, in a nutshell, perfect. :)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Better still, seek out the audio recordings of many of the M. R. James ghost stories, superbly narrated by the late, great Sir Michael Hordern. They are, in a nutshell, perfect. :)

Or, easier to find, are the two Craftsman Audio box sets read by David (Silver from Sapphire and Steel) Collings.
  • Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Which ones did Robert Powell read and when were they made?
    The Ash Tree, The Mezzotint, Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You my Lad, Wailing Well and The Rose Garden.
    All were broadcast in 1986.
    I think The Mezzotint works well because it's a story that doesn't need dramatisation - just a picture...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zom9AH4DSRA