Options

Ade in Adland

2»

Comments

• Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodness. so many flashes of recognition... but the biggest was the Guinness 'on tap' with a Sparklets beer tap (my Dad had one, as well as a soda syphon, both fascinating when you're 7) and the Party 7....from Davenports. "Beer at Home Means Davenports" rang across the Midlands...
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    The 2nd part is on next Tuesday. Yay! :D

This one is called 'The British Household'

'From beauty products to pets, vacuum cleaners to computers, living spaces have been transformed. In the 70's macho celebrities like Henry Cooper and George Best convinced men that toiletries weren't just for women, and when people were able to purchase council houses in the 80's, the nation's obsession with home improvement products began'
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed this! B***er! Wonder if it will be a repeat, iPlayer is, er playing up at the mo ............ think I might need to download newest version

I did get the repeats, loved it. The woman off Terry and June and the pies, as Shakespeare's wife cracked me up, so of its time. Loved this programme.

Great to see the Carling Black Label ads too, bring them back!!!

My grandad had Beer at Home!!
  • Options
    ValWValW Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chinese restaurants did used to have crispy noodles and I used to love them. When getting a Chinese meal, I used to always get a bag of crispy noodles as well and eat them like a snack the following day. Pity they don't have them now.

I can remember the blocks of mousse, there was lemon, chocolate or strawberry. We had never heard of mousse before these came out and used to buy them and eat them straight out of the freezer all hard and frozen. We didn't relaise that you had to defrost them a lot first.
    My sister used to have a Vesta meal every Saturday after work. I could never stand the food (I still can't stomach anything spicy - overactive tastebuds) but the crispy noodles were gorgeous! There used to be something very similar which only ever seemed to be available from stalls at Town & Country fairs so we always used to stock up whenever we saw them. I've not seen any for years!

I used to love having a frozen Supermousse for pud. Sometimes they'd have special editions with a collection of designs on the bottom, like cartoon characters or animals. When you'd eaten the mousse you could fill the tub with plaster of Paris and make a paperweight. Being a completist I liked to collect as many different designs as possible. More mousse for pud - win win! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ValW wrote: »
    My sister used to have a Vesta meal every Saturday after work. I could never stand the food (I still can't stomach anything spicy - overactive tastebuds) but the crispy noodles were gorgeous! There used to be something very similar which only ever seemed to be available from stalls at Town & Country fairs so we always used to stock up whenever we saw them. I've not seen any for years!

I remember an episode of New tricks, a case from the early 70's and someone's last meal was a Vesta curry.

"Ahh, Vesta Curry, the taste of the Orient" said Jack. lol
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I caught about the last 20 minutes - so went to ITV + 1 and taped to the Sky box :D

The Smash ad still makes me laugh - the martians showing off their latest antiques (potato peeler and masher) and rolling about with laughter, especially the one almost falling of the sofa :D
    Funny you should mention that - the whole lot is up in chronological order... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCsLcWvIbdA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part 3 - they played out the MaccyD's spoof of the old 70s Rank Cinema ads..
  • Options
    Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a reminder that Ade in Adland is a 2 part series and the final episode is tonight at 8pm ,unless, like me, you live in the STV region, then you'll have to tune into ITV London or ITV HD - too be honest this reminder is probably only of interest to people in Scotland, everyone else will see it advertised in the TV listings.

Can anyone else work out why ITV would schedule the first episode on a Tuesday and then take a 2 week break before airing part 2 - I know that 2 weeks ago was the England game and last week was Champions League - why wouldn't they show it a week earlier so that it could be shown back-to-back Tuesdays?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just a reminder that Ade in Adland is a 2 part series and the final episode is tonight at 8pm ,unless, like me, you live in the STV region, then you'll have to tune into ITV London or ITV HD - too be honest this reminder is probably only of interest to people in Scotland, everyone else will see it advertised in the TV listings.

Can anyone else work out why ITV would schedule the first episode on a Tuesday and then take a 2 week break before airing part 2 - I know that 2 weeks ago was the England game and last week was Champions League - why wouldn't they show it a week earlier so that it could be shown back-to-back Tuesdays?

There's football on next Tuesday as well. Maybe there was no free two week period for them to show it!
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    There's football on next Tuesday as well. Maybe there was no free two week period for them to show it!

Bloody football :mad::mad:
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member

Because, and let's be honest here, it's filler.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Advertisers defining us how they saw us (at that time) is NOT who we were (at the time).
    If you aren't offended by this program you are still stupid! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    That ad with the cow was a bit :eek: :o
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how some old ads used to be funny more so than now.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this tonight, some old ads were really funny. The farmer's daughter one was good, and the creature comforts one as well. Apparently most people thought it was for British Gas.
  • Options
    Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Because, and let's be honest here, it's filler.

But if it was truly filler then why wouldn't ITV just show one of their usual filler programmes (usually about animals, or repeats of You Been Framed) rather than make a whole 2 part production where each advert clip has to be paid for - either to the advertising agency who created the advert or to the client, depending on the contract which will stipulate who owns the copyright after the initial campaign.

By the way I totally agree with you about it being a filler type programme, just that I can't work out why ITV would commission this and then use it's first run as a 'whenever we have a 1hr empty slot in our schedule' filler.

Back in the late 80's up to around 2005 Tarrant on TV could be seen as a filler type of show for ITV (ie funny clips with single camera studio links by Tarrant) but ITV would always treat the first run as a proper series with a fixed time & day each week, then after the first run the series would be used as a filler programme for 18 months or so until the next series of episodes were aired.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    I enjoyed this tonight, some old ads were really funny. The farmer's daughter one was good, and the creature comforts one as well. Apparently most people thought it was for British Gas.

I liked both of those and the dog, cat and mouse one all sat in front of the fire.

And the Shake n Vac advert brought back a lot of memories as well - we used to use that!

I didn't think last night's programme was as good as the food and drink one the other week. It felt a bit too rushed to me as they tried to cover everything in the house and so could only show a couple of adverts for each item. When they were talking about telephones, I was waiting for them to show the "give Busby a call" advert which I think was on in the early 80s, but they didn't show that one. It might have been better if they had spread it over a couple of weeks instead of trying to cram it all in one programme.

Having said that, I remembered the Persil ad about the teenage boy trying to work the washing machine and it still made me laugh when he spilt washing powder all over the floor as he tried to read the instructions on the box! :)
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember some of those ads, were they shown in cinemas not t.v.?
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Why isnt this on itv player? I missed the second half and wanted to catch up! Im sure ep 1 was up there?
  • Options
    KerryKatKerryKat Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Anyone know why tonight's repeat was cancelled in favour of an old episode of The Cube? Or why it is not on ITVPlayer ?
    Was really looking forward to seeing this as well !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I liked both of those and the dog, cat and mouse one all sat in front of the fire.

And the Shake n Vac advert brought back a lot of memories as well - we used to use that!

I didn't think last night's programme was as good as the food and drink one the other week. It felt a bit too rushed to me as they tried to cover everything in the house and so could only show a couple of adverts for each item. When they were talking about telephones, I was waiting for them to show the "give Busby a call" advert which I think was on in the early 80s, but they didn't show that one. It might have been better if they had spread it over a couple of weeks instead of trying to cram it all in one programme.

Having said that, I remembered the Persil ad about the teenage boy trying to work the washing machine and it still made me laugh when he spilt washing powder all over the floor as he tried to read the instructions on the box! :)

I agree this one wasn't as good as the last one, mainly because it seemed to me like there were too many fairly recent ads, whereas last week seemed to have a lot of old and really old, ads And the joy of this programme to me has been seeing ads from 50's, 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm - I just glanced at my Humax's HDD _ was thrown as well. Hopefully they'll air it again..