Your most disappointing tourist destination

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I've been to Cancun - it's basically Ibiza for US students. If that's your thing it does the job.

Nothing wrong with Ibiza. Do you mean San Antonio?
    Forum Member
    ...mexico..arriving amid hurricane desolation,after many hours of traveling and sweating your bollocks off with the humidity,every day,did not fill me with joy...

Perhaps you should not go in hurricane season next time then.
  • swintongirlswintongirl Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Paris what a dump ! Also didn't like Barcelona and worst place got to be marmaris !!!!

Rhyl nothing there apart from a few grotty run down hotels even the sun centre had shut down last time we drove through ......
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sea of Tranquility - not bad, but lacks atmosphere and colour.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with Ibiza. Do you mean San Antonio?

No... Cancun?

Not criticizing Ibiza - just saying the clubbing part of it is all Cancun is.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rhyl nothing there apart from a few grotty run down hotels even the sun centre had shut down last time we drove through ......

Plus they have the worst ice cream I have ever tasted there.

Other awful British seaside places are Cromer, Filey, Grange-over-Sands, Southport, Bognor, Watchet and Ayr. All of them have nothing there!
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paris what a dump ! Also didn't like Barcelona and worst place got to be marmaris !!!!

I've never understood the admiration of Barcelona to be honest.

It's an overcrowded, sleazy looking dump for the most part
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »

i`d love to go to see gaudi`s buildings.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`d love to go to see gaudi`s buildings.

They're worth it!
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people must walk around Paris with their eyes shut, it has fantastic art galleries, interesting architecture, fabulous views and some great food.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Sacre_Coeur_seen_from_Ard_de_Triomphe.jpg
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

I would agree about the Ramblas but the Gaudi buildings and park make Barcelona a worthwhile visit
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people must walk around Paris with their eyes shut, it has fantastic art galleries, interesting architecture, fabulous views and some great food.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Sacre_Coeur_seen_from_Ard_de_Triomphe.jpg

I can only think that they're from small towns and villages over here and can't handle a big, noisy, colourful, diverse city. They probably don't like London either

Paris is amazing
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I can only think that they're from small towns and villages over here and can't handle a big, noisy, colourful, diverse city. They probably don't like London either

Paris is amazing

Not true. I loved New York but didn't like Paris. I didn't hate it it, I just have no desire to go back.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just attracts the small and medium size lout now does it?
    Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Never noticed that - :D:D I had a pub for 20 years so should know how to spell Lager.
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Goa - what a dump, teaming with rubbish and plastic bottles - dirty beaches - pot hole riddled roads which you cross at your own peril, loads of kids riding scooter who have never been on one in their life until they get there. English pubs, sports bars, karaoke etc etc.
    Hau Hin in Thailand - almost as above, could not wait to leave but love Bangkok.
    Morocco - quite frightening.
    Terracotta Warriors site in Xian, China - was looking forward to this but basically it was a big shop, more interested in selling tat.

Why did you find Morroco frightening? I have always felt really safe there even as a sole female traveller?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Sea of Tranquility - not bad, but lacks atmosphere and colour.

But how was the beach? ;-)
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    No... Cancun?

Not criticizing Ibiza - just saying the clubbing part of it is all Cancun is.

That's what I meant. Cancun is one resort, Ibiza is an island with something for nearly everyone.
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    I don't know who in the right mind would even consider going on a holiday in Bulgaria. I understand that teenagers maybe would like to go there for the cheap booze, but forget any decent holiday there. Crime rate is high, very dirty and depressing place indeed. Bulgaria was only a tourist destination for the Soviets in the 80's who did not have much choice back then. Bulgaria has never been a serious tourist country nor it will be in the near future.

It really depends on where in Bulgaria you go though...what you describe sounds like Sunny Beach, which is a package holiday hellhole. There are places like Veliko Turnovo, Ruse and Sofia, with lots of sights and history...mountains with stunning scenery if you're into hiking, or skiing in winter etc.
    Same with Portugal, which has been mentioned a lot...I had a great time there, a bunch of us rented a car and went on a road trip along the coast, staying in different places every day. I think if you go on a cheap package holiday you don't really see much of the 'real' place, only what the holiday company offers. I've never really found anywhere to be disappointing, every place has good and bad bits and I just love travelling so I'm always glad to have the opportunity to do so...may people don't.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed Bulgaria when we went in 1997, tourism was just beginning to kick off there properly, but there was still a lot of native charm. We did a twin center in the mountains and the beach. Not an English Pub or 18-30's in sight. Everything was a little bit slow and not quite right, but it was part of the charm. We went back in 2002 as a last minute cheap holiday and it had changed beyond all recognition in just 5 short years. I will never go back now.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Paris is amazing

Loved London , Rome , Barcelona , Berlin . Such wonderful cities to wander hither and tither . Berlins Museum Insel is awesome
    I enjoyed Paris and seeing Notre Dame etc . But its not on my list to return to. To each his own , I would never put someone down for not enjoying what I enjoy
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

Yeah, I don't get the dislike for Paris either. I've been countless times and will continue to go back again and again.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Goa - what a dump, teaming with rubbish and plastic bottles - dirty beaches - pot hole riddled roads which you cross at your own peril, loads of kids riding scooter who have never been on one in their life until they get there. English pubs, sports bars, karaoke etc etc.
    Hau Hin in Thailand - almost as above, could not wait to leave but love Bangkok.
    Morocco - quite frightening.
    Terracotta Warriors site in Xian, China - was looking forward to this but basically it was a big shop, more interested in selling tat.

The BIB made me so sad, I was there over 20 years ago and it was beautiful, almost untouched by tourism. :(
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    jakarta is pretty horrible. but then, its not usually the destination for most people.

noisy, dirty, crowded, quite crime ridden in places, dreadful traffic.

the old colonial quarter round the docks is the nicest bit, including cafe batavia, once named as one of the best cocktail bars in the world
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Shouldn't laugh but that reminded me of Clarksons infamous outburst on The One Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Muj1Sb6uA

last year i was on a commuter train interminably delayed due to 'a person under a train at barnes' and one of my fellow passengers yelled out 'well he better be dead, cos otherwise i'm going to KILL HIM!'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    Perhaps you should not go in hurricane season next time then.

....now why didn't i think of that ? :)....but that said..hurricane season in mexico being from june through to november,it could be more than a smidgen complex..