The Missing

Comments

• nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    The speculations about Monique are silly. It would have to be an amazing coincidence that she was an artist working exactly where Tony sat down.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dottzie38 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if monique turned out to be Molly, something about the paintings and the haunting looks of the children reminded me of the pic ian had painted of Molly.
    Looking forward to next week still don't trust mark one bit

Mark is always there at key times!
  • willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monique sounds like the French version of Molly...interesting.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bourgs Mother will probably be a girlfriend of Garrett and Bourg will be Garretts son or something.

Brilliant series by the way.

Loved the dream sequence.
    That'll be an awful shock to him if true. He's just getting used to the idea that Garrett is out of his life for good.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    I am also left with the disturbing view that the writers are trying to portray an acceptable view of paedophilia. Subtle hints that this is a mental condition that is treatable and that there are valid reasons why they do what they do.

Reprehensible attempt to change perceptions using popular tv dramas. BBC should be ashamed of itself.

Sorry but that's just nonsense
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »

A beautiful stranger just chats him up for sex. Yeah right.

Did they think what was missing for the viewer is some gratuitous sex?

There wasn't any gratuitous sex though, was there? They have a short conversation and then the next we see of them is him pulling his shirt on in her apartment. It's hinted at, not gratuitous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol at some of the questions being asked on here, do people actually watch the programme? I don't see whats confusing about it, the differences between 2006 and modern day are obvious well they are to me all the switching back and forward hasn't bothered me ive been able to follow with no problems and im loving it

Agreed. I'm actually disappointed they started adding in the time period as subtitles, no doubt to appease the complainers.
    Forum Member
    Tom_Mullen wrote: »
    Agree it was misleading but the worst part of the episode was when that stranger just came up to him, firstly what the hell was the point of that scene?? secondly it was completely unbelievable, why did she approach him in the first place the whole scene was just bizarre and seemed out of place in the episode.:confused:

I agree Tony's dalliance with the artist did seem a little strange, but maybe more of this will be made in future episodes? Or maybe it was just a plot device to get him out of the cafe for an hour or so so that Baptiste could calm Rini down and get her to change her mind about leaving - which presumably he did, offscreen. If Tony had hung around, all agitated with her as he was, it was less likely Rini would have had a change of heart.
  • astorastor Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think the artist is Molly as she is French and Garret & wife are British.

Wondering if she might be detective's daughter (Julien),

Maybe she was caught up in some way with the paedophile ring which led to her turning to drugs. Could also explain sad child paintings in her flat.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    I don't know, but it could possibly be the name of the boat Tony killed Ian on?

That's what i assumed. She is taken things from the real world into her dream world, that yacht will have belonged to them so she is just imagining they are still on it together.
  • KerryisElphieKerryisElphie Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Would Molly (if she is Monique) be so confident with men after her traumatic past?
    It does seem v weird and convenient that he just happened to sit down by Monique and I do get the impression that she is an important part of the plot.
    Maybe Tony and her have met for no strings action in the past and they always greet as if they are strangers...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next weeks trailer helps clear up what happened tonight

http://youtu.be/7MPjOZ_mpLY
  • astorastor Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think the artist is Molly as she is French and Garret & wife are British.

Wondering if she might be detective's daughter (Baptiste),

Maybe she was caught up in some way with the paedophile ring which led to her turning to drugs. Could also explain sad child paintings in her flat.
  • KerryisElphieKerryisElphie Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Wondering if she might be detective's daughter (Julien),

One of my other thoughts on Monique too! She is def intriguing...
  • bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but it would take either a low IQ or missed episodes to be confused by this plot.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bratwurzt wrote: »
    I'm sorry but it would take either a low IQ or missed episodes to be confused by this plot.

How very rude!>:(

Not everyone has the luxury of an uninterrupted hours' viewing. It is a complex plot with different time periods, and often short sequences. Easy to miss a couple of scenes if the phone goes, the baby wakes up, the cat is sick on the carpet, etc,etc., Because there are so many twists and turns, a couple of scenes missed leads to confusion
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I think you are probably referring to Dallas and there is no comparison in my view. None whatsoever.

Agreed none at all. and Dynasty wasn't a sitcom:confused:
    Forum Member
    Well I think this series is absolutely fantastic ... the most gripping, involving drama I've seen in a good while. And I'm by no means the most intelligent or perceptive of people but I have no problems following the timelines and knowing who is/was who (but like someone else has also commented I was also a big fan of Lost that used to jump around all over the place so I'm used to trying to keep track of multiple timelines).

I don't agree that the twist was a cheat - isn't that the whole point of a twist? To make you think one thing and then turn your perceptions on their head? I love a good twist, me. I like to be kept guessing and after the reveal at the end of last week that Garrett had gone missing about 8 years before, I think many of us probably thought 'OK, so Tony could quite possibly have killed him since he knows that Garrett knows Bourg.' But then we're shown Garrett 'alive' in present day early on in this episode, so we stop thinking that Tony must have killed Garrett until the end and 'Boom!' - that shocking ending. That was the point of the twist ... to wrong foot the viewer to make the killing be more unexpected.

And also, I like how the crime of Ollie's abduction has touched other's lives in some way, including Mrs Garrett with her mental breakdown.

What I'm still dying to know:

What did the French detective take from the drain during a search in 2006 that was observed by Karl Sieg (?)

Why did the French detective end up in prison?

How did Baptiste hurt his leg ... is that ever going to be revealed, lol?

What does Tony do for a living? We have mooted that his job may have connections with Ollie's abduction, and when the artist asks 'What do you do?' I think it was too pointed that he goes to answer ... but then doesn't. It could of course just be because he now no longer has a career and his life's work is finding his son ... but I'm still curious.

Is Mark shady? And if so, how?

I don't think that the female artist is Molly - I think that's too far-fetched (though I could be wrong). I think the photos/paintings of children in her apartment were just an extra layering of the theme of children taken/abused.

The artist could be a plant by the journalist though.

I also don't think (as has been mooted here) that James and Ollie were swapped at some point. I know they look alike, but isn't that just to highlight Emma's grief and why she loves him so much .... in him she sees what she's missed out on over the years with her own child.
  • welshnannywelshnanny Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Perhaps we are incorrect to assume that Bourg is having hormone injections to suppress his paedophile tendencies ? Maybe he had a sex change and is actually Molly :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if monique turned out to be Molly, something about the paintings and the haunting looks of the children reminded me of the pic ian had painted of Molly.

That's a very good point, was wondering where she'd fit into all this
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did i get it wrong, Tony watches the video and he says you abused Molly. then tells him he is also a killer. Tony has only seen this video, so if he knows Garrett is a killer then he must have seen him killing Molly on the video.
    Forum Member
    JT Effect wrote: »
    Well I think this series is absolutely fantastic ... the most gripping, involving drama I've seen in a good while. And I'm by no means the most intelligent or perceptive of people but I have no problems following the timelines and knowing who is/was who (but like someone else has also commented I was also a big fan of Lost that used to jump around all over the place so I'm used to trying to keep track of multiple timelines).

I don't agree that the twist was a cheat - isn't that the whole point of a twist? To make you think one thing and then turn your perceptions on their head? I love a good twist, me. I like to be kept guessing and after the reveal at the end of last week that Garrett had gone missing about 8 years before, I think many of us probably thought 'OK, so Tony could quite possibly have killed him since he knows that Garrett knows Bourg.' But then we're shown Garrett 'alive' in present day early on in this episode, so we stop thinking that Tony must have killed Garrett until the end and 'Boom!' - that shocking ending. That was the point of the twist ... to wrong foot the viewer to make the killing be more unexpected.

And also, I like how the crime of Ollie's abduction has touched other's lives in some way, including Mrs Garrett with her mental breakdown.

What I'm still dying to know:

What did the French detective take from the drain during a search in 2006 that was observed by Karl Sieg (?)

Why did the French detective end up in prison?

How did Baptiste hurt his leg ... is that ever going to be revealed, lol?

What does Tony do for a living? We have mooted that his job may have connections with Ollie's abduction, and when the artist asks 'What do you do?' I think it was too pointed that he goes to answer ... but then doesn't. It could of course just be because he now no longer has a career and his life's work is finding his son ... but I'm still curious.

Is Mark shady? And if so, how?

I don't think that the female artist is Molly - I think that's too far-fetched (though I could be wrong). I think the photos/paintings of children in her apartment were just an extra layering of the theme of children taken/abused.

The artist could be a plant by the journalist though.

I also don't think (as has been mooted here) that James and Ollie were swapped at some point. I know they look alike, but isn't that just to highlight Emma's grief and why she loves him so much .... in him she sees what she's missed out on over the years with her own child.

Good post, it was me that mentioned Lost! Amazing the number of people i run into that still don't understand the ending of that (and Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes and Who Killed Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks) so there you go. They all seemed relatively simple to me but then i grew up watching Sci Fi, ghost stories so maybe my brain is just 'wired' differently in understanding unusual narrative structures.

It's always possible that they'll leave unanswered questions in something like this (for a second season perhaps) but i would hope most loose ends will be tied up - like Baptist hurting his leg.

Tony's job, I wondered whether him telling Monique his name in answer to that indicated that the case is so well known everybody already knows his profession. I mean everyone know the McCanns were/are Doctors don't they.

I do think Monique will be important - she's a plant in some way to get close to Tony. I don't think he is so unattractive that nobody would just chat him up but the way it happened (not in a bar or anything) seemed...odd.
    Forum Member
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Did i get it wrong, Tony watches the video and he says you abused Molly. then tells him he is also a killer. Tony has only seen this video, so if he knows Garrett is a killer then he must have seen him killing Molly on the video.

I thought he was aksing if it was Ollie on the video so i'd assumed it was a young boy (whose face you couldn't see) being abused and possibly killed. I'm guessing it was a 'snuff' (god what an awful term) movie.

I'd guess he was just voicing his theory that Ian has taken and killed Molly.
  • Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find some people disrespectful and snobbish on here. Some people like myself have difficulty keeping up with certain things so why insult them?

I'm loving the series so far and tonight's episode was the best since the first one, but why did Garrett volunteer himself to help Tony with the risk of his secrets coming out? And has it been explained why the French police detective was in prison on the present day yet? Maybe he was blamed with Garrets murder
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I thought he was aksing if it was Ollie on the video so i'd assumed it was a young boy (whose face you couldn't see) being abused and possibly killed. I'm guessing it was a 'snuff' (god what an awful term) movie.

I'd guess he was just voicing his theory that Ian has taken and killed Molly.
    He was asking if it was Ollie at first then after watching a bit more of the video he realises it's Molly.
    He saw Garrett raping her on the video as he calls him a rapist. then he calls him a murderer. think he must have killed Molly.