Options

BT Fibre Optic Question

Hi all,

Just looking for some info on BT fibre optic...

I'm buying a new house and the owners already have BT fibre installed. But when I took out our package, I had to select a date the engineer was available to install - which is over two weeks after moving in (absolute nightmare)! Anyway, afterwards I got a text saying that because it's already setup, an engineer doesn't need to visit us - so my thinking was that we could get the activation date moved earlier as we no longer need an engineer.

So I called up and the bloke on the phone (who didn't really have a clue what he was talking about) and he said they can't move it forward because they still need the engineer to change something in the CAB. I don't really understand what they need to change? Anybody got any ideas? I feel a bit like they're just trying to mug me off.

I'm probably just a little bit bitter becuase I'm gutted that I've got to go without internet for so long.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    R_J1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for some info on BT fibre optic...

I'm buying a new house and the owners already have BT fibre installed. But when I took out our package, I had to select a date the engineer was available to install - which is over two weeks after moving in (absolute nightmare)! Anyway, afterwards I got a text saying that because it's already setup, an engineer doesn't need to visit us - so my thinking was that we could get the activation date moved earlier as we no longer need an engineer.

So I called up and the bloke on the phone (who didn't really have a clue what he was talking about) and he said they can't move it forward because they still need the engineer to change something in the CAB. I don't really understand what they need to change? Anybody got any ideas? I feel a bit like they're just trying to mug me off.

I'm probably just a little bit bitter becuase I'm gutted that I've got to go without internet for so long.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I think the two weeks is your right to cancel period.

In your case I'm not sure if any cab work is even needed. I assume you are transferring your old number? I'm not sure how they do this, I assume an engineer isn't required to open the cab for this. As you are a,ready on bt and the previous owners were on bt fibre then I don't think they need to map your line to their fibre network as its already done. They just need to get the number on he line swapped.

The strange bit for me is as your already on bt I don't see why you need to wait 2 weeks for your right to cancel. I assume it's classed as a new contact like it is with energy providers when you move house
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not mugging you off, personally I would not change a thing, let whatever needs to happen happen. Now this is not the most ideal method however logically it makes sense. Previous person moves out so line gets cancelled, Fibre gets ceased in the cab so opereach engineer has a job to remove the fibre from the line so wiring changes back to ADSL. You moved in, line is active automatically as expected for ADSL. However the fibre is a manual process in the cab, an openreach engineer will have a job to connect the fibre to your line at the cab.

I understand what you're saying in that surely they could just allocate the same fibre ports in the cab for you since you are getting fibre too, but if you think how the process works that simply cannot happen.