Options

What if all dancers danced the same dance?

My poor husband isn't particularly keen on Strictly, but I have been a massive fan right from the beginning and the poor guy has sat beside me every Saturday night and watched Strictly with me for all these years and listened to me chunner on about the wrong person going home year after year.

So last night he said to me (again) that all the dancers should dance the same dance so that you can compare them fairly, certainly when it gets to the semi final stage. I said to him that it would be boring for us watching 5 rumbas and 5 vienesse waltzes in one night, but I do see what he means, it is so difficult comparing a fun salsa to some Ricky Martin music and a slow rumba to Eva Cassidy.

I know it would never work to have everyone doing the same dances but so much of what a dancer is going to score each week, both with the judges and the public depends on the music, the costume and the type of dance.

Comments

• Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the earlier series where the first weeks everyone did a waltz or a cha cha.
    Then in subsequent weeks they introduced more dances, but there were usually a few duplicate dances so that you could compare like with like.
    I think the "mix it up" idea was to make it more interesting, but I preferred it when everyopne didn't do a different dance
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they all did the same dance, then it would be more of a serious dance programme, rather than the entertainment programme that Strictly is.

I suspect that it would also loose viewers and end up on late at night (remember 'Come Dancing').
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would depend on the Choreography as well though. A Trent waltz would be very different that an Anton one - an innovator versus a purist. They could alternate them over the first couple of weeks maybe. Each doing a waltz and a cha cha for instance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    J.R wrote: »
    It would depend on the Choreography as well though. A Trent waltz would be very different that an Anton one - an innovator versus a purist. They could alternate them over the first couple of weeks maybe. Each doing a waltz and a cha cha for instance.

That would be a great idea JR, it would actually be a lot of fun to compare a Trent waltz with an Anton one.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They used to in the semi-final - the Argentine Tango.

Why anyone thought it was a good idea to move that to random weeks earlier in the series and allow some of the semi-finalists to escape it, I'll never know.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be pleased if they went back to the 2 dances a night system of the early years.

And a bit more sticking to actual rules (no showdances in week 1 type of thing).
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    it used to be like that, although it was one latin and one ballroom.

plus there was a static camera view that you could watch on line if you wanted an alternative to the creative camerawork.

things were better in the olden days.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    If you start off with 15 waltzes, by about number 6 the majority of viewers, who aren't dance experts, will have forgotten what they saw in dance 1, be totally bored anyway and would probably switch off after a couple of weeks. Those who do know about dance would be even more critical of the judges than they are now.

With so many celebs starting out, I'd prefer either alternating of two dances or even sequences of three dances to keep everyone's interest.

The current total mix can be so confusing, and as the rules on all the dances seemed to have been relaxed - example the Viennese waltz with very little i hold - some steps being repeated in another dance or omitted altogether, and with the dreadful music, sometimes it's difficult to know just which dance they are doing.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lambchop68 wrote: »
    My poor husband isn't particularly keen on Strictly, but I have been a massive fan right from the beginning and the poor guy has sat beside me every Saturday night and watched Strictly with me for all these years and listened to me chunner on about the wrong person going home year after year.

So last night he said to me (again) that all the dancers should dance the same dance so that you can compare them fairly, certainly when it gets to the semi final stage. I said to him that it would be boring for us watching 5 rumbas and 5 vienesse waltzes in one night, but I do see what he means, it is so difficult comparing a fun salsa to some Ricky Martin music and a slow rumba to Eva Cassidy.

I know it would never work to have everyone doing the same dances but so much of what a dancer is going to score each week, both with the judges and the public depends on the music, the costume and the type of dance.

Yes, I have always thought that.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that would be too boring, viewers would turn off in their droves.
    I have though that maybe the more crowd pleasing dances could be kept till the end for everyone. As it stands, a perfectly good dancer can be landed with a dull routine later in the series, while an inferior dancer can have a routine that is more eye-catching and vote winning.
    But dividing things up like that would again make the earlier rounds a lot more dull, so I can't really see any alternative to what we have.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm happy with how it is. I think people over-emphasise how much people really "compare". For instance Mark/Frankie, Mark/Jake and Caroline/Simon all had overlap last night but I've seen very little discussion of their comparative merits. I've actually seen a lot more discussion BETWEEN weeks (ie people last week saying that Caroline's AT wasn't a patch on Simon's or this week that Jake's leg action in his cha cha was worse than Pixie's etc etc) which suggests to me that people deserve the credit of being considered to be able to compare people in a genre without the dances having to be minutes apart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the problems, for me, is I get the impression that the judges sometimes vote higher if they like a particular form of dance and maybe vote a better dancer lower because they performed a dance they aren't particularly keen on.

Craig last night voted highly for Mark's rumba as he likes contemporary, for me it was dire and there was no real rumba in it. He also loves the Salsa, nothing wrong with that, but was Caroline's perfect score because it was one of his favourite forms of dance?

You'll have to forgive my naivety as I'm only just learning what is what but this season, I've picked up on this a few times. I'm probably wrong but that's how I see it anyway. Maybe this could be an argument for everyone doing the same dance BUT I don't think it will work as viewers like spice and variety and it could zap the atmosphere that SCD has.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be quite the same though, would it?
    In most dances, male dancers have to lead (and really show they can lead), whilst female dancers are usually expected to follow, but to do moves which the males do not.

But as someone else said, by the time we had watched 15 waltzes, tangos, or whatever, we may well have forgotten who did what. And then we would just vote for our favourite anyway :).
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is I think that the producers think in the earlier weeks people would get bored by seeing 7 waltzes and 7 salsas and would lose the early season viewing battle and hence the entire autumn season ratings nonsense.
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in an ideal world it would be great - but for the vast majority of viewers I think would find it a bit tedious and boring and switch off a balance between the two and as others have said a return to the rotation of dances as in the old days would be good
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Pixie and Frankie do the same dance once? And it was completely different. Would be hard to compare if the choreography can vary that much for the same type of dance.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They used to do something similar...half the couples did the same Ballroom dance and the other half did the same Latin dance. It was a much better format and I wish they'd go back to doing that.
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be better if they did the same choreography too, so you can really compare them. Kind of like what happens when dancers go to auditions and they have to learn a routine, then all perform it and get eliminated. Although it would end up being a really boring programme.

Obviously the people who do it first have a disadvantage as the later people can watch them and learn the routine a bit more, but they could mix up the order a bit each week? The men would obviously have to have a different routine to the women.