My rabbit's special talent (or was it?)

JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Oh dear I feel a bit guilty now because I think this might have been cruel, although our vet seemed to think it was just a strange little quirk that our rabbit had!

Let me explain. We had a couple of rabbits a few years ago and had two litters from them. The babies were well handled (gently) by my children and well loved. One in particular used to stretch herself out on our laps or on the floor for a stroke and then took to lying on her back with her legs in the air in a sort of hypnotic state. She did this more and more as she got older, to the point where she would actually allow us to lie her on her back and seemed quite happy to lie there for ages in this position. We even took a movie of her lying on the sofa and allowing us to put a little blanket over her like she was in bed. Too cute! She moved about perfectly OK inbetween times so I don't think it was any kind of neurological condition. We even took her to show the teachers at the kids' school because one of them was in charge of the animals kept at the school and she had not seen a bunny ever doing this before and the staff room was full of teachers watching this rabbit just lying there on its back with its feet up.

She died a while ago now but I was reminded of it when I found an old photograph of her and I wondered if anyone else had a rabbit who did this? :D:o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's called "trancing" virtually all rabbits will stay motionless for a while if placed gently on their backs, particularly if they are gently stroked on the head at the same time.
    There are divided opinions on it with some believing it shows the rabbit is very relaxed, while others say the rabbit is highly stressed and catatonic.
    For these conflicting reasons some vets use it to do nail clips, intending to reduce the stress of the procedure, while other vets avoid it, believing that the immobility stresses the animal further on top of the procedure:confused:

If your rabbit voluntarily solicited this I would say she was presumable fairly comfortable with it, even if the enjoyment was a learned response.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    It's very nomal for rabbits :)
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're prey animals and it's actually thought to be induced by extreme fear.

Many angora owners/breeders do it routinely to groom under the bunny. I actually can't bring myself to do it to mine, once I read it's a fear response (freeze before the predator spots you)....so I just lift them gently and groom underneath.

It's not a state I'd want to induce in my bunny. I have a bunny savvy vet and he agreed, when I asked him about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    They're prey animals and it's actually thought to be induced by extreme fear.

Many angora owners/breeders do it routinely to groom under the bunny. I actually can't bring myself to do it to mine, once I read it's a fear response (freeze before the predator spots you)....so I just lift them gently and groom underneath.

It's not a state I'd want to induce in my bunny. I have a bunny savvy vet and he agreed, when I asked him about it.

I am not convinced about that because although they will certainly freeze, squash themselves as low to the ground as they can and flatten their ears to keep a low profile when scared or wary, if they can't run safely to a burrow, but that is what they have four feet under them, on the ground.

I have seen snakes actively roll onto their backs to play dead as a defence but I have never seen a rabbit do so, so I remain unconvinced by that explanation, although I am prepared to accept it may well be a stress rather than a relaxation response.

You can achieve a similar things by laying sharks (in the water) or crocodiles on their backs and stroking their tummies, or by standing lobsters on their tails.

I seem to recall you can also do something similar with chickens by drawing a line with your finger on the ground immediately in front of their eyes, but I forget the details of that one.

It is maybe just a weird little incidental quirk some species have. :confused:
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tass wrote: »
    I am not convinced about that because although they will certainly freeze, squash themselves as low to the ground as they can and flatten their ears to keep a low profile when scared or wary, if they can't run safely to a burrow, but that is what they have four feet under them, on the ground.

I have seen snakes actively roll onto their backs to play dead as a defence but I have never seen a rabbit do so, so I remain unconvinced by that explanation, although I am prepared to accept it may well be a stress rather than a relaxation response.

You can achieve a similar things by laying sharks (in the water) or crocodiles on their backs and stroking their tummies, or by standing lobsters on their tails.

I seem to recall you can also do something similar with chickens by drawing a line with your finger on the ground immediately in front of their eyes, but I forget the details of that one.

It is maybe just a weird little incidental quirk some species have. :confused:

I'm not sure either, Tass, but there was always something about it that instinctively I didn't like, and couldn't pinpoint, til I read about that.

I handle them a lot - angoras have been bred for many hundreds of years to be handled a lot and are probably unique amongst bunnies for this - and still I find the whole freezing thing too unsettling to do. I sort of felt relieved when the vet "gave me permission" not to!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I'm not sure either, Tass, but there was always something about it that instinctively I didn't like, and couldn't pinpoint, til I read about that.

I handle them a lot - angoras have been bred for many hundreds of years to be handled a lot and are probably unique amongst bunnies for this - and still I find the whole freezing thing too unsettling to do. I sort of felt relieved when the vet "gave me permission" not to!

Well certainly they seem to usually do it with tense, sometimes quivering muscles, rather than being soft and floppy.

Angoras are gorgeous, but high maintenance and that fine fluff doesn't half get up your nose :D

Makes beautifully soft, light garments though :)
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I've never had a pet rabbit but I have seen a lot of wild rabbits over the past five years - I have several cats who hunt them. As Tass says, the rabbit's fear response when being hunted is never to roll on its back, they keep all four feet on the ground. If they can't find a dark hideyhole they will seek out any restricted area like the corner of the room and put their face into it - "I can't see you so you can't see me".

OP your pet bunny sounds cute.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    when I had a house rabbit (RIP Cushty), the vet taught us to 'hypnotise her' (as we had to inject her with diuretics every day towards the end of her life and she hated it) he got us to sit down and lie her on her back on our knees and blow gently up her nose, this made her go 'trancelike' as you described. have to say she never voluntarily got on her back though. it used to last about 2 minutes, enough time to inject her.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh this is really fascinating. I had no idea that this was normal behaviour in rabbits. I say this because we had quite a few at one point, and we couldn't get any of the others to do what Clover did, no matter how relaxed or happy they seemed to be. They would immediately jump back around on to all fours again. Clover would lie there whilst her brothers and sisters hopped around her and sniffed her and there was all this activity going around her on the floor but she would just lie there. Sometimes we would lift her back around on to all fours and other times she would do it herself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tass wrote: »
    Well certainly they seem to usually do it with tense, sometimes quivering muscles, rather than being soft and floppy.

Angoras are gorgeous, but high maintenance and that fine fluff doesn't half get up your nose :D

Makes beautifully soft, light garments though :)

Just to add if anyone doesn't know, or was worried, getting angora rabbit wool (it is blended with sheep wool to lengthen and the fibre and strengthen it) is like shearing sheep - it doesn't hurt the rabbit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Hope you don't mind me asking, but would any of you dedicated rabbit owners be willing to tell us about your pets for some rabbit welfare research that we are conducting?

http://www.bris.ac.uk/vetscience/news/2011/15.html

:D