Panorama - The truth about Supermarkets

StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
Forum Member
We really shouldn't be too surprised that Supermarkets do like to make the biggest profit possible.

Marketing is a science that is taken to the nth degree with the big stores.

Why does anyone think just because a supermarket tells you something is a bargain, why believe it until you have done your own bit of a calculation. They will hardly tell you it's NOT a bargain.

It is peoples apathy that makes huge profits for the likes of Tesco and Sainsburys.

Comments

• AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite agree with you Stunty. I personally will work out whether a bargain is a bargain when walking around the supermarket. In all honesty if you are gullible enough to buy items that are higher/not a bargain then.. well not sure what to say.

This actually correlates with an article I was reading earlier that youngsters don't know how to do basic arithmetic..then if these people are going shopping then it stands to reason that they won't be able to work the differences out.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way Sophie is reacting you'd think she'd never been in a supermarket.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    They keep going on about the 'average customer' and their perceptions.

I can only assume that the 'average customer' could be a bit short of the old brain cells.:eek: :o

Somebody tell me it is not that difficult to read a label, and deduce which size of item is cheaper when they give you the price per kg or per litre etc.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I think she's over doing the shock a little but it's making some valid points.. ie.. don't trust a word supermarkets say.
  • OnlyWayIsEpicsOnlyWayIsEpics Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I've learned so far is most of my compatriots seem to be idiots.

The bloke that was complaining about a price being written on a yellow sign which made him think it was an offer and as if he was being forced to buy it.

Then there was the bloke who was moaning that butter had gone up by 4p in 6 months.

You'd think Sophie was trying to suggest supermarkets should just give stuff away for free.
  • The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these people shouldnt be allowed out in public with cash - an advert is designed to sell you something ffs! Do they buy Lynx aftershave expecting women to chase them and bite off an arm made of chocolate??
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »

I think she is probably reeling that she is shopping in Asda and not Waitrose. :D
  • CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the offers quite often not going through, I often get that with Tesco. For example theres 2 chocolate bars on offer for 2 for 80p (usual price 50p each) and last week they didn't go through, I couldn't be bothered with standing in the customer service queue for 20p and today I bought the same and again the offer didn't go through.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of those products with wording on the packages were not the supermarkets own brand so it is out of their control surely?
  • The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CANDYANGEL wrote: »
    I agree with the offers quite often not going through, I often get that with Tesco. For example theres 2 chocolate bars on offer for 2 for 80p (usual price 50p each) and last week they didn't go through, I couldn't be bothered with standing in the customer service queue for 20p and today I bought the same and again the offer didn't go through.

Id send an arsey email with recept details to their head office and tell them youre going to Trading Standards! Got to be worth a fiver at least :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »

She probably hasn't, the nanny does the shopping I suspect.
    Forum Member
    CANDYANGEL wrote: »

If they have good customer service though they should give you some compensation.

Granted you were in Tesco, they don't give much away. However Asda do seem to consider their customers a little more, and have a policy that they can give an Asda card with a few ££ on if they have made a till error.
    Forum Member
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Most of those products with wording on the packages were not the supermarkets own brand so it is out of their control surely?

But they can charge what they like for the items.

They are savvy enough to make the biggest margin they can get away with, you would think they would have somebody on the case of these anomalies ..... they do, but probably conveniently overlook some of them.;)
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    If they have good customer service though they should give you some compensation.

Granted you were in Tesco, they don't give much away. However Asda do seem to consider their customers a little more, and have a policy that they can give an Asda card with a few ££ on if they have made a till error.

I only shop online. ASDA seem to be much less generous than the other stores when they make an error (and they make lots of them).
  • CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The other week I picked two lots of yoghurts up for 2 for £2 (£1.29 each) and the offer didn't come up so I did go to customer service and after the assistant had come back from checking (why can't they do this on a computer?) she gave me the £1.29 back for the one lot, so I got the 2 for that price.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definately worth persuing if the supermarkets make a clear mistake and charge you wrong.
    I bought my sister a bottle of drink for her birthday and they charged me wrong. I got two bottles for the price of one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they can charge what they like for the items.

I don't think they can override a PMP (price marked pack) with another price although they could refuse to sell it completely.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they can override a PMP (price marked pack) with another price although they could refuse to sell it completely.

They can if its less than the PMP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    I watched this and to be honest had no problem whatsoever with supermarket's pricing. I should also say I don't work for or have any involvement in anything they do, my only business connection with them is shopping in them as needed.

If you can't work out that a double-size pack for £3 is poorer value than £1 for a single-size, then that is not the supermarkets fault. They've offered the goods for sale at those prices and you chose one or the other. "Bigger pack, better value" type claims are a bad idea, but these problems with the bigger pack being poorer value usually arise when the bigger pack and the smaller pack are both being simultaneously discounted, and again the consumer should check what they're buying.

As for rollbacks or special prices which are higher than previous prices, it's buyer beware. Most people have what is called a memory, in which they have some knowledge of things which have gone before. They should refer to it before blindly assuming such items are cheaper, and instead decide whether they consider something to be good value based on how much they have previously paid.

Panorama came across as implying most shoppers are incapable of simple mental arithmetic, and that shoppers also have no idea of how much they would expect things to cost.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swear Panorama already did a show on this exact topic within the last 2 years. Was it necessary to do it again? Perhaps it was Watchdog though. Still.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I saw this and found it quite interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to laugh at the "Bigger Pack, Better Value" non story.

That stuff is put on the packaging by the manufacturers, not the retailers. Not all retailers sell those products for the same price,

So if Sainsbury's sell a 1kg tub of Clover for £3.30 and the 500g tubs are £1.70 each, that's OK, since the bigger pack is better value.

But if Asda sell the 1kg tub for £3.20 and the 500g tubs for £1.50 each, they're ripping people off because the bigger pack isn't cheaper than the two smaller ones, even though both sizes are cheaper than Sainsburys? Seriously?

They had to pick the supermarket selling the stuff at the lowest price in order to be able to make the case that they were ripping people off!
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    As for rollbacks or special prices which are higher than previous prices, it's buyer beware. Most people have what is called a memory, in which they have some knowledge of things which have gone before. They should refer to it before blindly assuming such items are cheaper, and instead decide whether they consider something to be good value based on how much they have previously paid.

Panorama came across as implying most shoppers are incapable of simple mental arithmetic, and that shoppers also have no idea of how much they would expect things to cost.

Agree, most of us shop week in week out, so how is it that people cannot remember a price they have paid for items. I may not know the exact price but heck I know roughly if they are trying to rip me off!!

Supermarkets generally prey on consumers apathy to how much items cost. They just fill the basket then when they get to the till they wonder why the bill is so high. :eek:

Always look at the pricing label, always look at the bottom shelf where they put a lot of offers ....... they would obviously rather you buy the dearer items at eye level.

The bread and milk are spaced apart, and the bread is at the furthermost corner of the store to the entrance. Even if you have only gone to the store for the basics, they make you walk the length of the store psychologically knowing that other items will catch your eye on the way round. ;)

Marketing and psychology should really be a compulsory GCSE subject ...... however if they take as much interest as they do the mathematics, then there really is no hope!!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was typical, BBC "shopping advice for dummies."

The majority of shoppers are perfectly aware of what goes on, as unlike well paid TV presenters etc.,They do it weekly themselves, are perfectly aware of increases in prices and have to watch the pennies.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that Panorama exposed is that Sophie Raworth is a middle class moron who gets someone else to shop for her. "I'm bamboozled" as she discovers that buying loose veg is cheaper than in packets! :rolleyes:

Even ITV's Tonight programme doesn't stoop so low these days for topics.

Raworth should stick to reading autocue and not let out to do 'undercover' journalism again.