Options

Father Christmas - STOP lying to your kids

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Isn't it about time we tell our children the truth and tell them that santa doesn't exist and that Mummy and Daddy buys the presents

Comments

• Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *sticks fingers in ears*
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, we are doing the glitter foot steps this year as little great niece is old enough to understand, mince pie (vegetarian) and glass of milk for the reindeer's - really looking forward to it :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do understand that the kids don't really believe in Santa Clause, don't you?
    They're just pretending so as not to upset mum and dad.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    It's both in our house. We do under the tree presents and FC does the stocking ones. It's just a bit of fun, FGS!
  • Options
    GJMCGJMC Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    radiofan wrote: »
    Isn't it about time we tell our children the truth and tell them that santa doesn't exist and that Mummy and Daddy buys the presents

No it isn't.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member

You cn tell your children that but mine will carry on believing in the spirit of xmas and Father Christmas is part of that.
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can tell your children whatever you want, although I suspect you're probably about 14 and don't yet have any.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't going to do the Father Christmas thing with ours at all, but Firstborn was told all about it at playgroup - you can't really tell them it's all made up when they're 3 years old!
  • Options
    thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And how about this one "God - STOP lying to your kids"
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    You do understand that the kids don't really believe in Santa Clause, don't you?
    They're just pretending so as not to upset mum and dad.
    I pretended to believe for the adults for a couple of years after my friend told me that he didn't exist and I'm sure I'm not the only one, by far.
  • Options
    Nick KerrsNick Kerrs Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    Who IS it then that comes down your chimney?
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Let the kids have their magical time before they have to grow up and realise the world's a shithole.
  • Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When you stop telling them they are the most beautiful in the class/school/world then maybe.

I don't know any adult who believes in him so when they reach the age of reason they will work it out for themselves without any lasting mental trauma.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've put forward a very convincing argument there, OP. Any ideas on how I should break the news to my 3 year old?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Yeah cos a society full of kids that're even more jaded, cynical and disenchanted is just what the world needs. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    It's just harmless fun- and to tell a child he isn't real would rob them of the magic of their first few Christmasses.

I remember lying breathlessly excited in bed when I was about 5 or 6, thinking I'd heard his sleigh bells (it was, it later turned out, my dad outside wanting me to think Father Christmas was near). I can't remember what I got for that Christmas but the memory of the excitement I felt thinking Father Christmas was in the house was amazing and will stay with me forever.
  • Options
    grimpygrimpy Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end of the day kids dont care whether the gifts come from santa or the parents just as long as they get them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope, Christmas is a lovely time for Children and Father Christmas will visit for many years to come, I can promise you that.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parents - make things easier by telling them that Santa was done in by the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    I don't know of any child who is scarred by the realisation that Santa never existed.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could just go whole hog on honesty and tell your three year old that one day he will be old, wrinkled, and may hate his job, as well as have trouble with his prostrate (you'll have to draw a picture). :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    You've put forward a very convincing argument there, OP. Any ideas on how I should break the news to my 3 year old?

Uh! tell the truth
  • Options
    CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather my son believe in father Christmas. It's fun for a child to believe in something like that.

Most kids just pretends he exists for fun. When I was a child I knew he didn't exist, I just pretended he did for fun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean he doesn't exist??????????
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I don't have any kids yet but I have a 6 year old brother who I've loved doing the whole Santa speal for.

When I have kids i'm going the whole shabang, fake foot prints, jingle bells, mince pies and carrot missing a bite, a letter from Santa in December. I'm looking forward to it.