Options

Corrie: Tracy and Deidre 2007 Two-hander

big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
Forum Member
Just watched the two-hander ep just before Tracy's 2007 exit where she confessed the truth about Charlie's murder to Deidre, and I must say I am amazed at how better Kate Ford's acting seems to be here.

Tracy seems much more like a believable human being, rather than the panto caricature she comes across as most of the time in her current stint. In fact ditto for Deidre, who despite finally defying 'Tracyluv' in Friday's episodes still in contrast doesn't come across as much of a realistic character/mother now as she did back then.

This leads me to believe that it must be in part the writing that is letting Tracy's stories down these days, as the Charlie fiasco was hardly a character-driven, real story but this episode was extremely well-crafted for both characters. Just thought I'd share, any other views on this?

Comments

• Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the vid. The Deirdre from then needs to be around now! Back then she had some spirit in her and wasn't afraid to fight her corner. Now she's just simpering in the background while Tracy runs riot.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    Just watched the vid. The Deirdre from then needs to be around now! Back then she had some spirit in her and wasn't afraid to fight her corner. Now she's just simpering in the background while Tracy runs riot.

Exactly - it's like watching a different character! To be honest, I didn't realise how much she had changed until watching this. Now it seems her whole purpose is to defend Tracy until the cows come home and take the pee out of/embarrass Ken.
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Exactly - it's like watching a different character! To be honest, I didn't realise how much she had changed until watching this. Now it seems her whole purpose is to defend Tracy until the cows come home and take the pee out of/embarrass Ken.

BIB - me neither. I knew she always tried to stick up for Tracy in front of other people, but usually she'd tell her exactly what she thought of her when they were alone. I started seeing Deirdre as spineless when Tracy got out of prison in 2010 and she's got worse as time's gone on. Tonight's performance was just unbelieveable.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think since Blanche's death they have altered Dedire's character quite alot.
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this the other day.

Wish someone would give Anne Kirkbride another script like this - magnificent performances that really examine the tragedy of Dierdre and the darkness of Tracy.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this.

It's almost bittersweet watching this - what the Hell has happened to Deirdre?!

I've commented many times on how Deirdre has become a weak, dithering sap - something that she never, ever used to be.

It'd have been nice (well, not nice) to see Deirdre having some sort of breakdown following Blanche's death.

This scene is absolutely amazing and something Corrie does so well ... "I remember your tacky perm and your loose morals"
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rasbo wrote: »

I find this video strangely funny, especially the lines the characters come out with:

Charlie Stubbs: "Do you want bubbles"

Gail: "aren't you too old for water bombs?"
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to enjoy watching Deirdre.