Options

Why is the Anglican church allowed to get away with blatant sex discrimination?

AdsAds Posts: 37,059
Forum Member
They have voted against allowing women bishops

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2235906/Church-England-rejects-new-law-allow-women-bishops.html

Not allowing women to apply for these posts is a clear breach of sex discrimination rules. In normal companies you do not have votes amongst your supporters to decide if women can apply to senior posts - you simply follow the law and appoint the best candidate to the job.

Why is religion allowed to get away with breaking laws that normal companies would be hauled up in front of a judge over?

The sad thing is that the large majority of new vicars coming into the church are women, not men. How must they be feeling tonight?

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Same with gays. The Anglican church is a joke and has now consigned itself to the dustbin.
  • Options
    Sem1Sem1 Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    They have voted against allowing women bishops

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2235906/Church-England-rejects-new-law-allow-women-bishops.html

Not allowing women to apply for these posts is a clear breach of sex discrimination rules. In normal companies you do not have votes amongst your supporters to decide if women can apply to senior posts - you simply follow the law and appoint the best candidate to the job.

Why is religion allowed to get away with breaking laws that normal companies would be hauled up in front of a judge over?

The sad thing is that the large majority of new vicars coming into the church are women, not men. How must they be feeling tonight?

Many will feel betrayed I expect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what exactly is their reasoning?

I mean I can kind of understand Catholics saying "no" because I was led to beleive all priests must be men as they are true representative of Christ, who was a man.

Is this what is behind the Anglicans decision?
  • Options
    Sem1Sem1 Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I mean I can kind of understand Catholics saying "no" because I was led to beleive all priests must be men as they are true representative of Christ, who was a man.

But the Bible was written by men in a time when women had no rights, so how do we know Jesus wouldn't like women Priests and Bishops or heaven forbid a female Pope.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I guess so. Apparently they can't reconcile women bishops with 'scripture'.

Earlier, Rowan Williams said he "wanted the world to look at the Church today and say: “That looks like Jesus Christ.""

Oops.

I know I shouldn't but I do find all of this highly amusing.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Sem1 wrote: »
    But the Bible was written by men in a time when women had no rights, so how do we know Jesus wouldn't like women Priests and Bishops or heaven forbid a female Pope.

The stupid thing is that although I am not religious, I have been to church ceremonies hosted by women vicars (eg weddings, funerals), and on the whole they seem a lot better than their male counterparts!

My grandparents are pretty traditional when it comes to religion and weren't that happy when a woman vicar moved to their diocese. But now they think she is great and are more than happy to see women bishops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh. God.

Horrible. Im c of e.

There was an excellent tv series recently about women in the bible. In the first and second centuries women preachers were equal with men but became sidelined.
    Even a vatican scholar (male, catholic) expressed his dismay at the way they/we have been relegated since then.

I saw some traitor woman on tv yesterday saying the head of the family, at home or in the church family, should be a man. I doubt that most anglicans agree but the church is currently comprised of voters who are mainly older men. You can skew the bible to defend anything you like- slavery, killing etc, but the actual teachings of christ are love, tolerance, forgiveness and helping others. This crap is NOT his ethos!

Desperatly sad and pushes people away. Christianity should be about inclusivity not this bollocks discrimination.

Obviously vaginas render us 'less'?
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Earlier, Rowan Williams said he "wanted the world to look at the Church today and say: “That looks like Jesus Christ.""

Oops.

I'm no expert but I think "Jesus" would find that insulting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Jesus was a Jew. All of this is a bit silly really isn't it.

Lets hold the church accountable to the laws of our land (discrimination) and be done with it Otherwise they might as well all settle on a distant island and practice whatever archaic nonsense they see fit, outside of the laws of our country.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Sem1 wrote: »
    Gyles
    Did you know that the Pope – when the Pope is elected – still has to have this ceremony in the Vatican. After the Pope is elected, the Pope is carried over a group of the cardinals . . . and now, of course, the Pope actually doesn't display himself, but in days gone by, he would display himself. And the Cardinals – this still happens to this day – when the Pope is crowned, the Cardinals . . . the Pope is carried on a chair over the Cardinals. And they look up, and they say, "Testiculos habet et bene pendentes." This is –

Stephen
    No!

Gyles
    Yes, it is absolutely true.

Stephen
    "He has balls and he's well hung"? "Bene pendentes"?

Gyles
    It means that they are well hung. "They are hanging well." And it goes back to the time of Pope Joan, when a girl –

Stephen
    Yes.

Gyles
    – masqueraded as a young Pope. And since . . . that's when the cermony was introduced. And so the tradition continues to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Joan
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't bother me much as being an atheist I'd rather see the whole lot of 'em sod off and not come back, women bishops or not.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Same with gays. The Anglican church is a joke and has now consigned itself to the dustbin.

it's all very backwards - that's me putting it mildly
    I am very unsurprised that women aren't allowed to be bishops though
    the traditionalists are at fault again
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

The simple truth is that the CofE is exempt from most aspects of employment and anti-discrimination law. Priests aren't employed in the normal sense as, in theory, they report to Him Upstairs.

Equally, as a Atheist, I couldn't apply for a job in the Church and then sue them for discrimination when I am refused.

Of course, the irony is that the Supreme Governor of the Church of England is a woman and that compared to other religions the CofE is a model of modernity.
  • Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    The problem is that it might not be part of the religious doctrine.

I don't think a religion can shape itself around modern ideas completely.

Maybe all religion should eradicate all the non PC and dangerous cr*p it carries...... but maybe that would undermine it too much?

Some Christians say "What would Jesus do"

But Christianity seems to be based on "What would Saint Paul say"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oops.

If a person truly believes in their heart, the teachings of Christ, nothing should prevent them from being able to spread the good news.

I think it is more of a case of "a job for the boys" and the boys do not want that threatening.
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they live in the dark ages where women still get beat by clubs and live in caves!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no expert but I think "Jesus" would find that insulting.
    Heh heh. I always read 'im no expert' in Shouty Man's voice!
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The should disestablish so that their discrimination doesn't continue to pollute the legislature. I know many, many Anglicans want women bishops and feel very let down.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with men only / women only jobs. People ought to stop crying and go do something else.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    The should disestablish so that their discrimination doesn't continue to pollute the legislature. I know many, many Anglicans want women bishops and feel very let down.

I really do not understand how they can now maintain their position as the established Church of this country while they cannot reflect the standards of equality expected of and mostly practised by the rest of us.

They should be providing moral leadership not examples of discriminatory practice.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of them believe that a woman can no more be a priest than a man can give birth. So the women they see dressed up as priests are just women in fancy dress and nothing more. Others think women can be priests and should be bishops too.
    The trouble is that the C of E can't find a way of accommodating both views as they are mutually exclusive. And thats why the legislation failed. The clergy and bishops were in favour, the laity against. It needs a 75% majority in each group to pass ....... a bit like police commissioners. ;)
    Thats democracy for you - rubbish, isn't it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I really do not understand how they can now maintain their position as the established Church of this country while they cannot reflect the standards of equality expected of and mostly practised by the rest of us.

They should be providing moral leadership not examples of discriminatory practice.

I might be really wrong here but were a lot not moving to the Catholic church because they thought Anglican was becoming too soft and equal?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »

The minority against the change don't see it as discrimination any more than a womans inability to inseminate is discrimination. Its just a "given" as far as they are concerned. And something the church has no power to change.
    Of course some feminist anglicans are against women joining a paternalistic power structure on principle that there should be different models of leadership/service in the church. Others are happy to ascend the greasy pole and wouldn't at all see it as career promotion or craven ambition :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Some of them believe that a woman can no more be a priest than a man can give birth. So the women they see dressed up as priests are just women in fancy dress and nothing more. Others think women can be priests and should be bishops too.
    The trouble is that the C of E can't find a way of accommodating both views as they are mutually exclusive. And thats why the legislation failed. The clergy and bishops were in favour, the laity against. It needs a 75% majority in each group to pass ....... a bit like police commissioners. ;)
    Thats democracy for you - rubbish, isn't it.

Yes, but as I understand it the parishioners, the ground troops of the Anglican church, were heavily in favour of women bishops. It seems their vote counted for nothing.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    The Bible makes it clear that it's inappropriate for a woman to have authority over a man (1 Timothy 2:12).

Of course, the Bible is also clear that slavery is fine (several passages), gays are evil (Romans 1:26-27), and that a raped woman should be forced to marry her rapist (Deuteronomy 22:28-29).

This just proves further that religion is irrelevant in the 21st century.