Options

Back To Camelot: Merlin Series 1 discussion thread (beginning Saturday 5th January)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else find it really cute when Arthur says "You can't address me like that" and then Merlin says "Sorry. how long have yo been training to be a prat, my lord?" and then gives Arthur this adorable smile? Gah, he's too cute!

It was totally cute!! And I found myself doing a Merthur watch (apologies for those who don't buy into it). I saw lots!!

Re. the Albion question, I always saw Arthur's destiny as being to help bring peace to Albion's (Britain's) kingdoms, not to rule over them all. Thinking about his eventual positive relationship with Queen Annis, and the fact that he isn't at war with anyone but Morgana when he is King, I believe that he achieves this destiny. I know the 'united kingdoms' reference is only that - we never see it come about - but I think we're meant to believe that it's accomplished during the three years between S4 and S5.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    But the only treaty Arthur creates as king is the one with Odin (and I guess you could argue for Nemeth, although it seemed to me that they already had something in place and Arthur's marriage to Mithian was just supposed to cement it/deal with the boundary contention), all the rest were made during Uther's rule. So he didn't really unite anything.
    I had the idea (although I cannot now remember if it was because of something said in show) that Albion meant a properly united kingdom, where Arthur would be either the only king or, more likely, the 'High King' or something. Basically that he would have rule over all the land, not just Camelot.

I think that, like a lot of things watching Merlin, is because of what people know about the legends. In-show canon never said anything about Arthur being the High King of Albion or being the only King etc (that I remember), only that they'd create "Albion".
    It was totally cute!! And I found myself doing a Merthur watch (apologies for those who don't buy into it). I saw lots!!

Re. the Albion question, I always saw Arthur's destiny as being to help bring peace to Albion's (Britain's) kingdoms, not to rule over them all.

Exactly Mrs G. Arthur brings peace across Albion and (eventually) the disparate kingdoms join together to become the United Kingdoms (which we're supposed to assume is our own modern Britain).

Personally in my re-watch I'm not thinking about anything which is going to come later because it's not the same show after the end of Series Two. What's interesting is to see the changes in what magic they used to demonstrate Merlin's abilities from Series One, which is admittedly far less polished and has poorer production values (in terms of technical details, cinematography etc) over the later S4 and S5 specifically when they can make what they're doing look amazing but Merlin's actually doing less magic!

Re Morgana and Arthur - they're still coming across like bickering siblings to me though not potential love interests (sorry Claire!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    star89 wrote: »
    You'l be pleased to know that I A did not drink and B didn't play bingo because I didn't watch it.
    I had to hold back a laugh when the Dragon says 'the fate of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a young boy'. Holding back a laugh while saying well that kingdom's doomed

I miss nice Morgana so much :cry::cry:

Merlin is very cute isn't he and Gwen too. I LOVE series 1 :D

My favourite part is the end. ''You will be rewarded. This merits something quite special. You will be Prince Arthur's man servant.'' Wow!! what a reward :p

Yes you can almost see Arthur muttering some words not suitable for the pre watershed time slot. It made my 11 year old sons laugh !
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I think that, like a lot of things watching Merlin, is because of what people know about the legends. In-show canon never said anything about Arthur being the High King of Albion or being the only King etc, only that they'd create "Albion".
    I thought it might not have been in show. But by referring to Arthur creating Albion, and by treating/talking about Albion as a different thing to him ruling Camelot they do imply that he will make some significant change to the rule that exists under Uther. You can assume that means lifting the magic ban or becoming ruler of the whole land or whatever, but it certainly signposts something more than just signing one extra treaty.

I actually knew next to nothing about the legends when I first watched this series (didn't look more into it until between S3 and 4) and I thought that the whole Albion thing had to do mostly with magic being allowed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can almost see Arthur muttering some words not suitable for the pre watershed time slot. It made my 11 year old sons laugh !
    I like the way Uther declares it and then just strides off. :D
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it might not have been in show. But by referring to Arthur creating Albion, and by treating/talking about Albion as a different thing to him ruling Camelot they do imply that he will make some significant change to the rule that exists under Uther.
    You can assume that means lifting the magic ban or becoming ruler of the whole land or whatever, but it certainly signposts something more than just signing one extra treaty.

You can assume anything you like (generic you that is not you specifically Natarhi!) but it's not specifically said within the show just what, exactly, is meant by creating Albion.
    As the Great Dragon gave his spiel at the end regarding the kingdoms uniting, the viewer has been told that Arthur and Merlin achieved their aims (even if the viewer thinks it's a big pile of shite :) )

Personally I think it's their biggest mistake, after the ridiculous about face of Morgana between S2 and S3, that they didn't establish just exactly what Albion was and why it would prove to be so important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    You can assume anything you like (generic you that is not you specifically Natarhi!) but it's not specifically said within the show just what, exactly, is meant by creating Albion.
    As the Great Dragon gave his spiel at the end regarding the kingdoms uniting, the viewer has been told that Arthur and Merlin achieved their aims (even if the viewer thinks it's a big pile of shite :) )

Personally I think it's their biggest mistake, after the ridiculous about face of Morgana between S2 and S3, that they didn't establish just exactly what Albion was and why it would prove to be so important.
    Which brings me back to :mad: "Lies! All lies!" *thumps fist* :p

I am going to stop thinking about this now and go back to enjoying S1. ;)
  • Options
    Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished watching it and I LOVED it. Wish I'd watched it from the beginning now. Pierrefonds looked amazing, I liked the opening of Merlin walking and the dragon talking about his destiny. Merlin walked past a blonde guy on a horse, was that meant to be Arthur? I couldn't tell.

The whole episode seemed rather sweet and definitely had a charm about it. Gwen seemed to have more of a personality, Merlin was very cute when he was in Morgana's room. And he had great chemistry with Arthur from the start. Eve Myles was wonderful, as always. I had to resist the temptation to throw things at the screen when the dragon was on - he sounded a bit evil when he laughed actually. And I too was wondering about Gaius' bunny mask. :confused: I can't help but feel sad for what could have been, damn you writers and producers <shakes fist> but I'll try not to let it ruin my enjoyment of it. All in all, I thought it was a very strong opener. I was hooked all the way through, but maybe that was because I know how good it gets later.

Now for the important bit - the unveiling of Colin's chest. And oh my, it did not disappoint. In fact, it exceeded all my expectations, yay! :D The shot of it was longer than I was expecting, there was definitely some hair there, and actually I I thought Colin looked really hot. Normally I'm perving over Bradley (of course he was hot, but he always is) but Colin captured my attention. His eyes looked beautiful and he seemed to look less skinny than he normally does. Just a shame he didn't get his chest out more often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Well watching that episode has reminded me why I used to love this show and how well it was written back then. The producers like to be down on series 1 but I love the tone of it - the mixture of adventure and drama - and they were doing some really good character stuff. It was exciting and fun to watch. By series 5 however it was just bloody miserable the ENTIRE time. Watching this, I definitely think the show got too serious and lost sight of the type of story it was. I don't want the fart jokes back but a bit of balance would be nice.

So, I'm going to have to just get out the way now...

*sigh* See how this started with great hope and a great premise? How we were going to go on a great adventure and there'd ups and downs and drama but we knew it would come right in the end (even if we knew it couldn't last)? *sigh* Why did they ruin it? It really does make me

I agree with you this episode seems fresh, new and the start of something exciting. I think this is partly because all the actors all look so young and fresh faced and partly because these early episodes reflect a time in all our lives when we were young and relatively responsibility free.When we were on the verge of adulthood just beginning to realise that life would not be all plain sailing but was generally quite good and stress free. At least 10 years passes before the end of series 5 so it was only natural that darker and more ugly themes would rear their heads as in real life. It was great to watch Merlin and feel such optimism and excitement without the prospect of doom that began to appear in the last series. Having watched this episode is helping to repair the damage done by the "grande finale ".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just finished watching it and I LOVED it. Wish I'd watched it from the beginning now. Pierrefonds looked amazing, I liked the opening of Merlin walking and the dragon talking about his destiny. Merlin walked past a blonde guy on a horse, was that meant to be Arthur? I couldn't tell.

The whole episode seemed rather sweet and definitely had a charm about it. Gwen seemed to have more of a personality, Merlin was very cute when he was in Morgana's room. And he had great chemistry with Arthur from the start. Eve Myles was wonderful, as always. I had to resist the temptation to throw things at the screen when the dragon was on - he sounded a bit evil when he laughed actually. And I too was wondering about Gaius' bunny mask. :confused: I can't help but feel sad for what could have been, damn you writers and producers <shakes fist> but I'll try not to let it ruin my enjoyment of it. All in all, I thought it was a very strong opener. I was hooked all the way through, but maybe that was because I know how good it gets later.

Now for the important bit - the unveiling of Colin's chest. And oh my, it did not disappoint. In fact, it exceeded all my expectations, yay! :D The shot of it was longer than I was expecting, there was definitely some hair there, and actually I I thought Colin looked really hot. Normally I'm perving over Bradley (of course he was hot, but he always is) but Colin captured my attention. His eyes looked beautiful and he seemed to look less skinny than he normally does. Just a shame he didn't get his chest out more often.

Personally I can't wait to perve over all the hot men - whether they be good or bad - but in particular Bradley, Tom and Eoin. Oh and of course we have the very handsome Will Mellor to look forward to next week. One of my favourite eps of series 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which brings me back to :mad: "Lies! All lies!" *thumps fist* :p

I am going to stop thinking about this now and go back to enjoying S1. ;)

YES suddenly saturday nights in january and february don't seem quite so dark and depressing !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like the way Uther declares it and then just strides off. :D

Leaving Merlin and Arthur to stand there and say "WHAT ? "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I can't wait to perve over all the hot men - whether they be good or bad - but in particular Bradley, Tom and Eoin. Oh and of course we have the very handsome Will Mellor to look forward to next week. One of my favourite eps of series 1.

I'll be completely honest and say I think one of the reasons I got into Merlin was because of my perviness. I used to call it the show where the men are more beautiful than the women, but now I come to think of it, there weren't actually that many women in it! But so many hot men! So many amazing chests on view! I can't say I'm really into Will Mellor but if he reveals a nice chest next week I'm sure I will be converted. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to break it to you but I think this is the one and only time he does in Merlin (I'm sure at least 5 different people will be along to tell me if I'm wrong ;)). Still it sounds like you enjoyed it, and it's on iPlayer for the next week so you can watch it a few more times (a day) until then. :cool: :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the opening of Merlin walking and the dragon talking about his destiny. Merlin walked past a blonde guy on a horse, was that meant to be Arthur? I couldn't tell.

I wondered about this as well! Was it Arthur? Is there anyone here in the know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to break it to you but I think this is the one and only time he does in Merlin (I'm sure at least 5 different people will be along to tell me if I'm wrong ;)). Still it sounds like you enjoyed it, and it's on iPlayer for the next week so you can watch it a few more times (a day/hour-delete as appropriate :p) until then. :cool: :D

Oh that is so disappointing. Yet another failure of the producers! I've actually got S1 on DVD so I can watch and rewind that scene as much as I like. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered about this as well! Was it Arthur? Is there anyone here in the know?
    I don't think it was meant to be.
    Oh that is so disappointing. Yet another failure of the producers! I've actually got S1 on DVD so I can watch and rewind that scene as much as I like. :D
    Ahh well, you're sorted then. :D
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm glad it didn't disappoint, though I didn't really think it would. When I was watching that bit on youtube the other day, I did think it was a nice long scene, but I didn't want to say that in case it got your hopes up too much.
    I hate to break it to you but I think this is the one and only time he does in Merlin (I'm sure at least 5 different people will be along to tell me if I'm wrong ;)). Still it sounds like you enjoyed it, and it's on iPlayer for the next week so you can watch it a few more times (a day) until then. :cool: :D

No, I think you are right. I can't recall another moment when Merlin gets to show off his chest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Kargo wrote: »
    I forgot Gwen had a crush on Merlin at the start :D
    And merlins crush on Morgana
    Arthur's and morganas crush for each other
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moleymo wrote: »
    And merlins crush on Morgana
    Arthur's and morganas crush for each other

I'm with Cadiva on the Arthur/Morgana 'crush'. I don't see it at all. To me, it is sibling rivalry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Avi8 wrote: »
    I'm with Cadiva on the Arthur/Morgana 'crush'. I don't see it at all. To me, it is sibling rivalry.

Oh come on! Anyway it's been discussed by the actors Katie and Bradley already admitted to awkward flirting with sister in the early episodes, everyone expected Arthur and Morgana to marry
  • Options
    littlemolittlemo Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it might not have been in show. But by referring to Arthur creating Albion, and by treating/talking about Albion as a different thing to him ruling Camelot they do imply that he will make some significant change to the rule that exists under Uther. You can assume that means lifting the magic ban or becoming ruler of the whole land or whatever, but it certainly signposts something more than just signing one extra treaty.

I actually knew next to nothing about the legends when I first watched this series (didn't look more into it until between S3 and 4) and I thought that the whole Albion thing had to do mostly with magic being allowed.

I have read a lot about the Arthurian and Celtic legends, and knew when they first started Merlin that it would be different, as they were not young men together ( Merlin was older when he found Arthur as a boy) as in this series.

Albion is the oldest known name of the island of Great Britain. Arthur won acknowledgment as king of Britain by successfully withdrawing a sword from a stone. He reigned from his court in Camelot, with Merlin as his adviser and his influence were crucial in persuading the barons to maintain support to the young king in his wars against the rebel kings, as is his guidance to Arthur in battle

It also says that Arthur was borne away to the Isle of Avalon, where it was expected that he would be healed of his wounds and that he would someday return to his people. He is often referred to a the once and future king. This is of course if you believe the legends:)

I am re-watching the series again because I love the show itself, but knowing that it will be a different version to others that I have seen.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moleymo wrote: »
    Oh come on! Anyway it's been discussed by the actors Katie and Bradley already admitted to awkward flirting with sister in the early episodes, everyone expected Arthur and Morgana to marry

Maybe that is what they thought of it, but it isn't what I see. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Maybe that is what they thought of it, but it isn't what I see. ;)

A true merthur fan lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, already we're talking about whether Arthur succeeds in becoming the celebrated "Once and Future King". That is hardly important to this episode. Let the trash into which MERLIN degenerated at the end be best left on another thread.

That said. I LOVED this episode: it was all about youth and promise, magic and wonder. :) As for the CGI not being top notch -- so what. State of the art CGI cannot improve, nor ever has, improved the quality of poor writing. Happily, early MERLIN was better written than it would be after it was dumbed-down for seasons 3-5.

I loved the number and variety of the extras givivg the impression of a crowded, bustling, and lively Camelot. It would seem that Arthur's alleged "golden age" didn't even come close to Uther's reign.

Other pluses were the variety of magic, doughty dotty Gaius, adorable young Merlin, Prince Prat, er Arthur, nice Morgana (it was fun watching her jibe about her sexy dress, and a sweet Gwen before she became a non-entity swabbing around in push-up corsets wearing her weight in hair extensions.

Ah, what might have been? What a delight episode 1x01 was! :D