BBC Glastonbury 2014 thread

MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone not going excited to watch it on tv? I'll admit i'm not too impressed with any of the headliners on each of the nights. So hoping to enjoy other bands/artists instead.

Friday 27th June:

BBC2 - 10 to 10.30pm and 11.05pm to 2am will be general highlights incl. Arcade Fire's headline set.

BBC3: 7-8pm Rudimental. 8-9pm Haim and Lily Allen. 9-10pm Paolo Nutini. 11-12am Kaiser Chiefs.

BBC4: 8-9pm Blondie. 9-10pm Elbow.

Sat 28th June:

BBC2 - 9.30pm to 1.30am general highlights incl. Metallica's headline set.

BBC3 - 7-8pm Kodaline and Kelis. 8-9.30pm Lana Del Ray and Jack White. 10.30-12am Jake Bugg.

BBC4 - 8-9pm Robert Plant. 10.45-12.15am Bryan Ferry.

Sun 29th June:

BBC2 - 12-1pm general highlights. 5-7pm Dolly Parton. 10-1am general highlights incl. Kasabian's headline set.

BBC3 - 7-8pm Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith. 8-9pm Bombay Bicycle Club and The Black Keys. 9-10pm Ellie Goulding. 10-11.30pm Disclosure.

BBC4 - No coverage.

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I am bothered this year, the headliners don't interest me in the slightest nor anything you have listed above, with the exception maybe of Robert Plant.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's a really good variety of things there myself, after being a bit disappointed with some of the recent Glastonbury's I would say top stuff.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a look at the green names ont he Beeb's site- not many names i recognise...
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Metallica and Dolly there is not much for me there, kasabian have gone off the boil for me
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's plenty i want to see. Wild Beasts, Arcade Fire, Robert Plant, Goldfrapp, Pixies and Jack White are just a few. Hopefully the coverage will be good, as some of these clash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always find the coverage a bit hit a miss, if they are the darlings of Radio 1 they will be shown if not it is pot luck
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoping they don't repeat their disastrous coverage of Metallica at Live Earth by only showing two songs or something pathetic. They're huge headliners and deserve a good amount of coverage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Hoping they don't repeat their disastrous coverage of Metallica at Live Earth by only showing two songs or something pathetic. They're huge headliners and deserve a good amount of coverage.

That really wound me up
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wouldn't Eavis have sorted out all that beforehand with the BBC? He can't make them headliners and not show them on tv. They must have had that conversation, surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Wouldn't Eavis have sorted out all that beforehand with the BBC? He can't make them headliners and not show them on tv. They must have had that conversation, surely?

Jo Whiley will pull the plug, and say 'Well now we have a chance to show the AMAZING Arcade Fire when they came in to the tent to read from the phone book, this is AMAZING'
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That I am afraid will be down to Metallica, and what they have negotiated, The Rolling Stones didn't want their show broadcast, hence why we didn't see the full set..it was nothing to do with the BBC, it was down to the band.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Are Metallica & Bryan Ferry clashing? Damn!
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Are Metallica & Bryan Ferry clashing? Damn!

You could possibly do an hour of each, looking at the times.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Glastonbury 2014: 11 acts to watch
    By Mark Savage
    BBC News entertainment reporter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27942516
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Is the BBC2 9:30 show on Sat the full Metallica set?
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Is the BBC2 9:30 show on Sat the full Metallica set?

Well if Metallica have given BBC permission then i would expect to see their full set or at least some part of it. The Stones did the same last year.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been looking on my pvr to see what is worth recording.

Not much really, Jack White and Dolly Parton for me, but also recording the late shows just invade they show anything good

Definitely the best way to experience Glastonbury for me, looks like raining again.

I do recommend some of the European festivals, Optimus Alive in Lisbon is great, only £100 or so, for the three days sunny weather, no mud (artificial grass)., very easy to get to and from and Cascais beach just 20mins away. I went a couple of years ago (Radiohead, The Cure and Stone Roses), was extremely impressed)

http://www.optimusalive.com/en
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Goldfrapp, Jack White, Dolly Parton, Bryan Ferry and Arcade Fire are particular highlights.

None of the headliners are doing it for me, I'm afraid. Least of all Kasabian who I imagined to be a little bit more "T in the Park".
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kasabian seems like a very weak headline act.

Haim, Lana Del Rey and Jack White are the only artists on this list that I'm particularly bothered with so I'll check out their sets. Doesn't look like a vintage year though and certainly nothing as monumental as the Stones performance last time out.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Saw the BBC promo for it last night and didn't recognise most of the artists :blush:
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll have it on but I'm not really looking forward to the coverage. The presenters do my head in every year.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't mind seeing Arcade Fire and Elbow.

Lots of other stuff which might not get any coverage - Manics, Mogwai, Interpol, Pixies (probably well past their best now and no Kim Deal), Parquet Courts.

Not a particularly strong line-up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - here are the real times.. http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2014/
    Time to start livestreaming, folks..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing Arcade Fire and Elbow.

Lots of other stuff which might not get any coverage - Manics, Mogwai, Interpol, Pixies (probably well past their best now and no Kim Deal), Parquet Courts.

Not a particularly strong line-up.
    Anything green will be on streaming.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/errnc8/performances/lg49mb