Options

BBC Alba is coming to Freeview in Scotland

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Of course not, but it can only happen as DSO is rolled out transmitter group by transmitter group. Before DSO BBC local radio is on Mux 1 and BBC national radio is on Mux B so they cannot be replaced by BBC Alba. After DSO, all the BBC radios are on BBC A and this is where they can all be replaced.

So Darvel, Craigkelly and Black Hill which are due to complete Scotland's DSO in May & June 2011 will have to wait until then for BBC Alba. The rest of Scotland can get BBC Alba as soon as the BBC can get the technical changes made.

I expect Tele-G will cease shortly after the Black Hill DSO but it requires a change to the Broadcasting Act 1996 IIRC.

That has already changed, with the Communication Act of 2003, which lead to the creation of Seirbheis nam Meadhanan Gàidhlig (MG Alba). MG Alba are now responsible for the implimentation of Scots Gaelic Broadcasting under the said Act, and are the same body responsible for creating BBC Alba in partnership with the BBC. Problem solved!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not true for their ML rugby coverage - if it involves Ulster BBC NI will show it live also, if Leinster/Munster then RTE or TG4 and if a Welsh team BBC2W or S4C.

Yes, but they are not broadcasting to a Scottish audience, are they?! Technically speaking, most are not officially broadcasting to Scotland (BBC Nations programmes being put on the red button and S4C on satelite aside)

Why should we not have our own broadcaster covering the ML for us? Sod it, if English speaking Scottish broadcasters don't want it, Im more than happy for a Gaelic speaking one to.

I don't speak Gaelic at the moment, but I have never, ever, used the BBC Radio stations of an evening in all the years Freeview has been going. I realise this is a selfish opinion, but the radio stations are much more freely available through other means, whereas BBC Alba is only available in a sub-standard online stream if you don't have satellite.

Good swap, and with DSO approaching and BBC Alba carried on all mediums (except cable for the time being) its time Scotland has a proper nationwide S4C/TG4/Te Reo type setup for itself.

I imagine replacing TeleG with BBC Alba on channel 8 would make the most sense, I'm sure the one hour a day of programming can be slotted somewhere into BBC Alba's schedule and the couple of staff employed by TeleG moved across to MG Alba.
  • Options
    angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what word's these language come from Wifie,****, Toon, Fitbaa, Corrie Fister, Clype and Clarty.

It's Doric and rumours around Hollyrood suggest despite it being talked less than Gaelic and in fewer places it is more relevent than Gaelic as thousands of the words are used all over Scotland on a daily basis and that if any language should be saved it should be Doric.

According to a journalist mate celebrating BBC Alba on freeview might be a little premature as some talk allegedly suggests BBC could see BBC Alba showing a mix of Gaelic and Doric programming and Gaelic is irrelevent to most of Scotland especially the North/Aberdeenshire/Tayside area and BBC Alba may in the near future have to provide more programming for both languages to make it more relevent to the rest of Scotland and not just one small region.

Taken from an article a few years back discussing a BBC documentary called Trawlermen

The MSP for Banff anADVERTISEMENT d Buchan, Stewart Stevenson, said: "People will be able to understand what's being said. The subtitles are completely unnecessary.

"I think if we're going to discriminate on the matter of subtitles, then we should subtitle every regional accent," the MSP said.

"I remember trying to watch the first episode of EastEnders and switching it off because I couldn't understand what was bein

Even BBC Scotland is taking on more doric in the coming year including this new sitcom Desperate Fishwives based on a radio show.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/scotlandfeatures/3269634/Carry-Don-laughing.html

I don't speak gaelic or doric but many people complain about BBC Gaelic being a waste as only a small amount of people speak the language especially when they speak English also. Would it still be a waste if both languages featured on the channel appealing to a wider scottish audience as doric can be understood without the need of learning another language.

BBC Alba is ok I watch it sometimes but the repeats of Machair ge oan ma tits. I feel any language should be saved especially if it is still in use but I don't think one language should get preferential over another no matter how popular it supposed to be after all the English language may have been accepted by some but was also forced on many people worldwide and was not the original language of the UK.

•The English language is a West Germanic language, originating from England.
    •Over fifty percent of the English language is derived from Latin
    • English is the third most common "first" language (native speakers), with around 402 million people in 2002.
    English is a West Germanic language that originated from the Anglo-Frisian and Old Saxon dialects brought to Britain by Germanic settlers from various parts of what is now northwest Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands it also incorporates Latin.

Who is to say what language is acceptable and which should get preferential treatment.

Just added: just noticed a word above has been censored because it means something rude as well despite it being the name of a scottish village.:D:D
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Not getting bogged down in historical details but if you go back to about 500 BC the Celtic people were spread all across Europe :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All interesting stuff, a big plus point is the BBC run Alba.

Anyhow things to learn from S4C problems.

1.Too much Political interference.
    2.You will watch what we want you to watch,not what you want to watch.
    3.Board appointed by Cronies of Politicians ,who appoint their own cronies.Jobs for the boys & Girls
    4.Same half dozen faces on almost every programme,
    5.Not giving a dam about zero audiences.
    6.S4C HD is the least watched PSB channel in the UK,
    and so on.

The best of luck
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbc4ever wrote: »
    Good swap, and with DSO approaching and BBC Alba carried on all mediums (except cable for the time being) its time Scotland has a proper nationwide S4C/TG4/Te Reo type setup for itself.

There is a big difference between S4C and BBC Alba, Welsh is the national language of Wales. Gaelic has never been the national language of the whole of Scotland and some non-Gaelic areas are fighting it being forced on them at huge expense.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't speak Gaelic but I think BBC Alba is a positive move for freeview. For me as a sporting man it's great to have Magners League on freeview, I know channel is Gaelic but I hope in the future they take the move that S4C done, and introduce a red button English Commentary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't speak Gaelic but I think BBC Alba is a positive move for freeview. For me as a sporting man it's great to have Magners League on freeview, I know channel is Gaelic but I hope in the future they take the move that S4C done, and introduce a red button English Commentary.

ML is already on Freeview (301) on most ML Friday nights although this is a BBC2W programme. Also for STV viewers (but not Border) there is a weekly highlights programme on a Sunday night. With BBC Alba you will definitely get a Scottish team and a Scottish slant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should we not have our own broadcaster covering the ML for us?

But you do - STV do a weekly highlights show on a Sunday night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you do - STV do a weekly highlights show on a Sunday night.

So we don't get LIVE games and should be satisfied with that?

No thanks, long live BBC Alba if its bringing Scotland live Scottish ML games in the way that BBC NI brings Ulster games to NI, RTE and TG4 bringing Irish ML games to Ireland and S4C and BBC Wales bringing Welsh ML games to Wales. Fair, no?
    lundavra wrote: »
    There is a big difference between S4C and BBC Alba, Welsh is the national language of Wales. Gaelic has never been the national language of the whole of Scotland and some non-Gaelic areas are fighting it being forced on them at huge expense.

'Big Difference' or 'technicality'?
    Sure, it may be a national language officially, meaning everything must be bilingual, but does that stop it being a minority language? No. The majority of people, especially in the South of Wales, don't speak Welsh at all. Roughly a quarter of people in Wales are able to speak Welsh. Granted it has a higher number of speakers than Gaelic, I'll never dispute that, but there is no pretending that it isn't a minority language, because it is. BBC Alba is now hopefully able to provide to Scotland in the same way that S4C provides to Wales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....and some non-Gaelic areas are fighting it being forced on them at huge expense.

Evidence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Big Difference' or 'technicality'?
    Sure, it may be a national language officially, meaning everything must be bilingual, but does that stop it being a minority language? No. The majority of people, especially in the South of Wales, don't speak Welsh at all. Roughly a quarter of people in Wales are able to speak Welsh. Granted it has a higher number of speakers than Gaelic, I'll never dispute that, but there is no pretending that it isn't a minority language, because it is. BBC Alba is now hopefully able to provide to Scotland in the same way that S4C provides to Wales.

That's not the same, obviously the proportion of Welsh speakers has dropped in particularly North East Wales and South Wales but Welsh was the language spoken in the whole of Wales (the pedantic might also say in parts of what is now England). Gaelic was the language of the islands and Highlands, it is spoken by some in other areas because they have emigrated there in the past but it was not the traditional language there. There is a lot of bad feeling in Caithness about the way it is being forced on that area because they are ruled by Highland Council which has decided that the whole of its area will have Gaelic signage and teaching. There have been letters in West coast newspapers from Gaelic speakers commenting on the huge amounts being spent on road signs - one was a community councillor who was annoyed that first they were not consulted as promised and secondly that half a million pounds was being spent on just one road when road safety proposals, requiring trivial amounts of spending, had been turned down because there were no funds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evidence?

Just read the Caitness newspaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we don't get LIVE games and should be satisfied with that?

No thanks, long live BBC Alba if its bringing Scotland live Scottish ML games in the way that BBC NI brings Ulster games to NI, RTE and TG4 bringing Irish ML games to Ireland and S4C and BBC Wales bringing Welsh ML games to Wales. Fair, no?

Now you have a live brodcaster (BBC Alba) and a highlights programme (STV) which is better than NI/ROI (no highlights programme). Fair for Scottish viewers - yes!
  • Options
    The-SalfordianThe-Salfordian Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Just read the Caitness newspaper.

I believe its a similar situation in Wales where millions are forced to have S4C on the Freeview box instead of Channel 4. It has been known for S4C to have zero viewers
  • Options
    msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe its a similar situation in Wales where millions are forced to have S4C on the Freeview box instead of Channel 4. It has been known for S4C to have zero viewers

Ch4 is available on LCN 8 in Wales. And quite right too since S4C is the Welsh fourth channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    msim wrote: »
    Ch4 is available on LCN 8 in Wales. And quite right too since S4C is the Welsh fourth channel.

I was led to believe S4C took Channel 4's slot on Freeview because their is a limit.

I have to disagree with you too. £100 Million for a channel that sometimes has zero viewers is a little over the top
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was led to believe S4C took Channel 4's slot on Freeview because their is a limit.

I have to disagree with you too. £100 Million for a channel that sometimes has zero viewers is a little over the top

Then you are wrong.

And I don't understand what you're disagreeing with me about. S4C is the Welsh fourth channel. Ch4 is the English and Scottish fourth channel. It is only right that the fourth channel for each country is placed on LCN 4 in its respective territory. The Welsh have been given extra choice by having Ch4 on LCN 8 given that in the past they would only be able to receive S4C through analogue terrestrial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then you are wrong.

And I don't understand what you're disagreeing with me about. S4C is the Welsh fourth channel. Ch4 is the English and Scottish fourth channel. It is only right that the fourth channel for each country is placed on LCN 4 in its respective territory. The Welsh have been given extra choice by having Ch4 on LCN 8 given that in the past they would only be able to receive S4C through analogue terrestrial.

In that case why don't the Scottish and Welsh wish to fund the stations themselves.

Don't forget BBC1 and BBC2 already cater for them so this is on top of that. Can the English have a channel too ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case why don't the Scottish and Welsh wish to fund the stations themselves.

Don't forget BBC1 and BBC2 already cater for them so this is on top of that. Can the English have a channel too ?

Take it up its funding with the Government, I don't care.

S4C is legally due its position on LCN 4 in Wales since it IS the Welsh fourth channel. All I was posting about was in response to your incorrect statements that you presented as fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Take it up its funding with the Government, I don't care.

S4C is legally due its position on LCN 4 in Wales since it IS the Welsh fourth channel. All I was posting about was in response to your incorrect statements that you presented as fact.

Even though the Welsh clearly don't watch it -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1257157/The-100m-Welsh-TV-channel-shows-ZERO-viewers.html

It's hardly a surprise that the Welsh Assembly don't want to fund it, lucky they have the English taxpayer around hey
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though the Welsh clearly don't watch it -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1257157/The-100m-Welsh-TV-channel-shows-ZERO-viewers.html

It's hardly a surprise that the Welsh Assembly don't want to fund it, lucky they have the English taxpayer around hey

I wonder if that decline is due to the fact that S4C is now a purely Welsh language service airing only minority Welsh language programming whereas it was previously a bilingual English and Welsh service with Ch4 programming airing simultaneously or deferred that had a wider appeal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if that decline is due to the fact that S4C is now a purely Welsh language service airing only minority Welsh language programming whereas it was previously a bilingual English and Welsh service with Ch4 programming airing simultaneously or deferred that had a wider appeal?

A minority that clearly doesn't wish to pay for the channel themselves. Perhaps the English could ask the Germans to pay for an English channel hey
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure most Welsh would prefer to receive C4HD on Freeview rather than Clirlun. S4C SD is bad enough but S4C HD is a waste of the BBC's money. Given that they have to save 25% of their budget in the next five years, Clirlun seems a good place to start cutting.

Then there is the S4C transponder which is full of ..... wait a minute there must be some mistake ..... no it's true ....... just S4C in SD. They even put S4C2 on another bird. :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Salfordian, do the Germans get 35 regional radio stations funded by the English, or is that just taxpayers in Wales, N.Ireland and Scotland that fund another countrys radio network? :rolleyes:

Like it or not but there is a need to promote these languages despite them being listened to by a very small % of the UK. It's a waste of money in my opinion and probably the opinion of 95% of the UK but that's just the way it is. :(