Emmerdale - Why aren't divorced characters given back thier maiden names?

Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,383
Forum Member
This is something that has been bugging me for absolutley ages.

Two examples are Charity and Katie....

Katie was divorced from Andy a long time ago and has since left and returned to the village... why is she still known as Katie SUGDEN and not her original character name of Katie Addyman?

Charity was married to Chris and again left and returned to the village still using Tate.... Why wasn't it changed back to Dingle?

Did the writers have a memory relapse or was it done for a reason and I missed it?

Comments

• norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,676
    Forum Member
    Not all divorcées revert to their maiden names in real life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I understand with Charity tbh. First of all, she was widowed rather than divorced. Also her son is named Noah Tate so I can understand that it would be a lot simpler to just keep the Tate surname when it was just her and him. Plus, she's said before in the past that she never liked beng Charity Dingle. Being Charity Tate allowed her to be someone else.

I just don't get it with Katie though. At one point, Katie was positvely creeped out by Andy's stalker like tendancies, and thought that he might have actually set her home on fire, and yet she goes round with his surname still. I assume its because the show is so desperate to keep the Sugden name alive in whatever contrived way they can.
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because even when divorced, your legal name is your married name untill you marry again or go back by deed poll.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a few women who have kept their married name when they divorced. They said that it became their name too when they married him so they had the right to keep it if they wanted to - one said she'd had it longer than her maiden name so it was definitely hers! Others just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of changing it everywhere e.g. work, utility bills, election roll etc. Another liked it better than her original name and of course there was keeping it because it's your kids name (this is my ex sister in law, she's actually had her married name for longer than she was married!)

Don't see what the big deal is myself. A name is just something you're known by at the end of the day and like my Grandma used to say: 'whatever you're called it's just another man's name!' (said to my cousin when she said she wasn't changing her name when she got married.)
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katie keeping Sugden is a strange one i must say - a marriage that took place when she was very young, produced no children and lasted all of 5 minutes. Realistically she would have reverted back to her maiden name but for obvious reasons they've left her as Sugden as its Emmerdale's iconic surname and there's very few of them left. I dont even know Katie's maiden name was :confused: she's never had any family live in the village so its not important whatever it was - not like Sugden anyway.
  • Telly_FanTelly_Fan Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she's never had any family live in the village

She moved into the village with her father, Brian Addyman.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure many just don't want the hassle. I changed my name when I was 17 and having to inform everyone, get new ID, bank cards, passport etc. I'd never just do on a whim. Plus for women, there's every likelihood they could marry again and it'd all be for nothing.

Soap characters change their names back too much really, I don't reckon it's all that common. Anyone can revert back to their old name on Facebook but officially I reckon the statistics are pretty low.

Then there's cases like Charity who doesn't want to be a Dingle, or my mum who has kept my dad's name because her own family name is Brush. You can imagine the jokes she grew up with.

A case that does baffle me however is why Anna Windass chose to change her name by deed poll to Windass rather than marrying Eddie, and then when she split from him rather than change hers back, she chose to change Faye's to Windass as well. Now that's genuinely strange.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    I'm sure many just don't want the hassle. I changed my name when I was 17 and having to inform everyone, get new ID, bank cards, passport etc. I'd never just do on a whim. Plus for women, there's every likelihood they could marry again and it'd all be for nothing.

Soap characters change their names back too much really, I don't reckon it's all that common. Anyone can revert back to their old name on Facebook but officially I reckon the statistics are pretty low.

Then there's cases like Charity who doesn't want to be a Dingle, or my mum who has kept my dad's name because her own family name is Brush. You can imagine the jokes she grew up with.

A case that does baffle me however is why Anna Windass chose to change her name by deed poll to Windass rather than marrying Eddie, and then when she split from him rather than change hers back, she chose to change Faye's to Windass as well. Now that's genuinely strange.

and why would you intentionally choose the name windass?
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never changed mine back my kids have their fathers sirname and it would just confuse things plus my maiden name is hard to spell and people mispronounce it constantly which just winds me up
  • jamesisacejamesisace Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People choose to keep their married names. My mum did and they've been divorced 13 years
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I've never changed mine back my kids have their fathers sirname and it would just confuse things plus my maiden name is hard to spell and people mispronounce it constantly which just winds me up

Wojciechowski? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wojciechowski? :)

if it were polish it would be excusable but its an old Yorkshire name allegedly :(
  • cazza7cazza7 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chas reverted to her maiden name when she divorced, but of course it would only be natural coming from such a fine lineage
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    if it were polish it would be excusable but its an old Yorkshire name allegedly :(

Yeah I know, Barnoldswick! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My question is why do they all change their name when they get married. I hope Rhona keeps hers, as I think it would be in keeping with the character. I kept my name, and would never dream of changing it, as have many of my friends, infact one of my friend's children have their mother's surname rather than their father's, despite their parent's being married.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My married name's like that. It's old English (or came over with the Normans or summat) and we're forever having to spell it and if someone actually pronounces it right first time we cheer them :D In fact nowadays if I'm on the phone I say the name then automatically start spelling it for them!!

Mind you, people were always misspelling my maiden name too even though it's not all that weird.

Got to agree with cazza - sometimes I do wonder why women change their name at all when people automatically expect them to change it back if they divorce? When you marry if you choose to take your husband's family name it becomes YOURS so I never understand all this 'his name' attitude :confused: (not having a go Melephunk mind! Just stating my opinion on it :))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never changed my name back when I got divorced, I couldn't be bothered, I had been known by that name for 12 years but luckily I remarried and my name changed again, however, on facebook, I use my first name, maiden name and my married name
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes people prefer their married name, if they been married a long period of time it just easier too keep the married surname, my mum isn't married to my dad and she uses his surname as its our family name, just easier and less confusing, while others like going back to the maiden name up to the individual, I don't know about soaps though maybe the writers are lazy.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I know a few women who have kept their married name when they divorced. They said that it became their name too when they married him so they had the right to keep it if they wanted to - one said she'd had it longer than her maiden name so it was definitely hers! Others just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of changing it everywhere e.g. work, utility bills, election roll etc. Another liked it better than her original name and of course there was keeping it because it's your kids name (this is my ex sister in law, she's actually had her married name for longer than she was married!)

Every one of these reasons Lottie gave is why I kept my ex-husband's name when I divorced. All he gave me was a bunch of kids and his surname, so I have a right to keep both! And I know it really annoyed the ma in law:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Soaps are pretty socially conservative - its why it's very sad to see EE has basically gone the way of em and corrie when the whole reason EE began was to be different and less conservative.

Now it's probably more conservative than tge other two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »

Got to agree with cazza - sometimes I do wonder why women change their name at all when people automatically expect them to change it back if they divorce? When you marry if you choose to take your husband's family name it becomes YOURS so I never understand all this 'his name' attitude :confused: (not having a go Melephunk mind! Just stating my opinion on it :))

Thanks Lottie. I didn't change my name for 3 reasons
    1. I am xxxx alway have been and always will be and I like my regal Irish name, infact when my uncle married, his wife had to abreviate her for name as the rest of the rather large Irish family told her firmly xxxx already existed
    2. I am qualified, chartered and known professionally in my name, therefore I will not change.
    3. Who would want to be known as Mrs Terry in this day and age:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    Because even when divorced, your legal name is your married name untill you marry again or go back by deed poll.

That's assuming you are daft enough to change it in the first place
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazza7 wrote: »
    That's assuming you are daft enough to change it in the first place

It confused the baliffs;)
  • NathanTNathanT Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Charity's case, when she came back into the show a few years ago, I can clearly remember her explaining to Debbie why she'd kept the name 'Tate' - it was all to do with status - the name 'Tate' made her feel powerful, confident and successful, as well as opening doors for her - whereas she associated the name 'Dingle' with a past she'd constantly been trying to get away from.

I am assuming that she is now Charity Sharma anyway? - and, if so, this reflects the latest progression in her character, ie. her having married for love rather than money and status (though the family she's married into just happen to be well-off!).

As for Katie, her keeping the name Sugden is obviously the writers trying to keep the family name alive (though if they really wanted to do this they should also have given her a child named Sugden by now) but still I don't find it massively unusual. When Katie split up with Andy it was to be with his brother Robert Sugden, who she planned to marry. From a purely technical point of view, there wasn't much point in reverting to her maiden name only to change it back to Sugden when she remarried. By the time her engagement to Rob fell through, I think she was already running the stables business where she is known as Mrs Sugden and presumably has a good professional reputation under that name - changing it would be confusing for her clients and a lot of hassle.

I can remember Kim Tate making a big deal of going back to her maiden name (Barker I think) when she divorced Frank - only to become Kim Tate again when they remarried. And she obviously attached the same importance to the name as Charity did, as the last time we saw her, she was asking to be known as Kim Tate rather than her married name of Marchant.

From real life experience, a lot of women go back to their maiden name after a marriage that has ended sourly - in which case, they can't bear to be associated with the name of their ex. The women who keep their married name usually do so for the reasons cited on here - to keep the same name as their children, or because they are known professionally and have a good professional reputation under that name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    My name is an anagram of a four letter rude word for part of the anatomy. This is why I never became a school teacher as I'm sure the kids would have picked up on it:D And no , my name is not Tunc.