If the Doctor's name ever was revealed...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
Forum Member
Would it mean anything at all? A name is just a name, and it's obviously going to be some sort of gibberish Gallifreyan name that sounds far from any real word. So what impact would it have on the fans if his name was revealed?

Other than the fact that his greatest mystery would've been revealed, I don't think any fan would point at the screen and say "I knew it!".

Comments

• GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    It was...

Bob.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its good that there is this mystery, if it was revealed there would be nothing left to hold like that! Some things are best left unsaid, it doesnt stop the story being told.
  • John637John637 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    It was...

Bob.

And now I'm going to marry you young Doctor...I mean, eh, Bob. :D
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was revealed in 'The Movie' and has been a cause of controversy and argument in fandom ever since.

Quote: "I'm Arthur Hugh Mann"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever it could be, it would just be disappointing for everyone if it was revealed.

Although I do like the idea that it can't be pronounced, and it's actually the theme tune :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    His name is...
    a secret
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rasp wrote: »
    His name is...
    a secret

If you can't be bothered to click on about 100 spoiler tags, just reply quoting the message and you can see it easily in the reply box. But I really wouldn't bother.
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    It'll never be revealed. I don't even think any of the producers or writers have ever or will ever actually come up with one for him. We might have seen it written down in Gallifreyan script a couple of times, but I don't think Terrance Dicks or Steven Moffat gave any thought to what it meant or sounded like.
  • QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His name is...
    a secret

Oh you tease ;)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Nah. SpoilerSpoilerSpoilerSpoiler is a stupid name.

I don't think the Doctor's name itself is ever going to be significant. What matters is why he left the old one behind. Shame? Tragic past? New identity to protect others?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    It was revealed in 'The Movie' and has been a cause of controversy and argument in fandom ever since.

Brilliant. Made me giggle, anyway. :D
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think the Doctor's name itself is ever going to be significant. What matters is why he left the old one behind. Shame? Tragic past? New identity to protect others?

Didn't most time lords adopt a self appointed name though? There was The Doctor, The Master, The Corsair and so on. Was it an act of rebellion for younger, egotistical timelords, or, as you suggest, a more centric reason for him willingly giving up his birth name?
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His name is... ]

Wow. In many ways I'm actually quite impressed you put that many spoilers into a message. But I'm also rather jealous of the sheer amount of time you have utterly waste... ;)
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member

I think the implication was that anyone who knew it could jump into his timeline and wreak all sorts of havoc across all of time and space.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think the implication was that anyone who knew it could jump into his timeline and wreak all sorts of havoc across all of time and space.

Well, yes, that is something that they could do. But I assume that's a consequence of the Doctor keeping his name secret (he knew it was something no-one else could use), rather than the reason. After all, he apparently changed it before he started his travels - he couldn't have known the effect he would have on the universe.

Unless, of course, he's always really used his real name, and some event only happened recently and rippled back through his timeline, changing his name as it went...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldnt he have a weird sounding name like Romana's full title?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    If you can't be bothered to click on about 100 spoiler tags, just reply quoting the message and you can see it easily in the reply box. But I really wouldn't bother.

What? You're not impressed by a post that's bigger on the inside? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What? You're not impressed by a post that's bigger on the inside? :confused:

It's what's inside that counts :D
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His real name, as best as can be rendered by the Latin alphabet, is "Dåkt Øhûph Luńgdùñg". On his first trip to England, he introduced himself thus, and was asked "Doctor who?". This impressed him (especially the academic implication) and so he kept it and used it henceforth. No mystery, really.
  • emma30emma30 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Koquillion wrote: »

:D:D:D:D:D
    Bloody brilliant!
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Heads would roll, if Doctor Who fandom had anything to do with it. Part of what makes The Doctor such a riveting character is the fact that he's shrouded in mystery. Part of that mystery is the fact we don't know his real name, take that away and suddenly a significant chunk of that mystery (and 50 years of television) is lost forever.
  • hajuahajua Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    We did know his name! It was Theta Sigma from the Armageddon Factor til they retconned it away as just a college nickname in Happiness Patrol. That's two complete incarnations (Peter and Colin) plus half of Tom and Sylvestor of a named Doctor.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I'll be quite happy knowing him as just The Doctor. Doctor "Who" is the whole point of mystifying him surely!
    We never knew Mr Spock's first name in Star Trek and that mystery remains today....apart from what Dr McCoy used to call him (:D)!!
  • RobRob Posts: 4,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think any writer or show runner would have the balls to actually come up with something for it. It's a 50 year old mystery that has only occasionally actually been relevant to any sort of plot within the show. The fans are happier not knowing, there's a curiosity of what it could be, but that's about it? Just talking for myself here obviously.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hajua wrote: »
    We did know his name! It was Theta Sigma from the Armageddon Factor til they retconned it away as just a college nickname in Happiness Patrol. That's two complete incarnations (Peter and Colin) plus half of Tom and Sylvestor of a named Doctor.

So the Doctor's nickname (and at first his name) is essentially ths. Who thought that was a good idea? Probably somebody trying to be clever and getting it wrong. Sums up what I hate most about the latter period of the classic series.

I suggest you completely ignore theta sigma it is nonsense.