Howdens Dishwasher Stopped Working

deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
Forum Member
My other half turned on the dishwasher the other night but after 3 hours, it had still not cleaned the dishes - it hadn't even begun its cycle?!:confused:

The dishwasher is a Howdens own branded one, identical to this one:

Howdens Dishwasher

There is power to the machine but when you select a program, and then close the door, it just hums and the cycle never actually kicks in?!

We had this problem with this dishwasher once before and when the guy came round to look at it and fix it (can't remember now what he did exactly), he said that it sometimes becomes 'confused' and stops working?!

Like I said, when a program is selected and the door is shut, the dishwasher just hums and clicks (like its trying to start the cycle but doesn't actually manage to!).

Anyone have any ideas before I ask my wife to call someone out?!

Comments

• Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Have you tried power cycling it at the mains?
    Is there a blockage anywhere?
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    ...haven't tried turning it off at the mains yet - would that really make a difference though?

There are no blockages which I am aware of.

One day last week, at the end of one of the cycles, the dishwasher was still full of water inside (only about an inch). I then checked the drain hose and found that it wasn't sitting at the correct angle under the sink ( it needs to have a high point so water does not drain back from sink plug, back into the dishwasher), so I adjusted it to sit higher up and put the dishwasher on another cycle. When it had finished, the water was gone.

However, I am putting the above 'water issue' as a coincidence and don't think it is related to the dishwasher not now working.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...haven't tried turning it off at the mains yet - would that really make a difference though?

It depends whether any On/Off button on the control panel switches the power off completely or just puts the machine into a standby state. If the fault is caused by some corruption in the control software of the dishwasher power cycling the mains might perform what in computing terms would be a reboot and may just clear any sillies.

Though there is no guarantee it will have any effect it is at least a relatively simple thing to do. But make sure you leave it off for several minutes to let the power supply to the control circuits fully drain down before you turn it back on. That should give you the best chance of "rebooting" it, hopefully back to some semblance of normality :)
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It depends whether any On/Off button on the control panel switches the power off completely or just puts the machine into a standby state. If the fault is caused by some corruption in the control software of the dishwasher power cycling the mains might perform what in computing terms would be a reboot and may just clear any sillies.

Though there is no guarantee it will have any effect it is at least a relatively simple thing to do. But make sure you leave it off for several minutes to let the power supply to the control circuits fully drain down before you turn it back on. That should give you the best chance of "rebooting" it, hopefully back to some semblance of normality :)

...will give this a go first, tonight (when I get in) and report back!
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »

...unfortunately, this did not work. :(

After further researching this, I figured out some button presses which would would then display an error code. It threw up error 'E2' which basically means that a flood switch, in the machine, has been activated.

Looks like the issue then IS related to last week's 'water' incident (where water was still left in the machine at the end of its cycle).

It also appears that there is no easy 'fix' for this error either :( Seems like the whole machine needs to be pulled out (not great as it is integrated and is sitting underneath a granite work top!) and one of the sides needs to be taken off in order to access a water container inside, to clean it out.

Great - fun and games then - gonna have to call someone out. :(