Options

Mourning an old friend

MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
Forum Member
✭✭
I just found out that an old school friend of mine committed suicide a few weeks ago.

I hadn't seen him since school but whilst we there, we were good friends and he was such a nice guy. We used to call him The Bear because he was a giant and built like a house. He had an absolute heart of gold and I really had a lot of time for him.

He moved away shortly after school so, as it often happens, we lost touch (waaaaay before Twitter and Facebook). However, he moved back to where I live (I didn't know, I'm sad to say) and he committed suicide recently.

I feel so sad by this. a) that I had allowed us to drift apart and b) that he felt there was no other way out.

I have missed his funeral and wouldn't feel right going after all this time, but I feel so sad. I just don't know what to do.

I feel really zoned out and confused.

:cry:

Comments

• Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend also committed suicide a few weeks ago. He sounds very similar to your friend. People do feel what I can only describe as some sort of weird guilt and a case of the 'what ifs', especially when it is someone you remember so fondly. I think all you can do is remember those good times and say goodbye in your own way (my friend had a private cremation on the mainland with only a few family members there). Do you still speak to any mutual friends who knew him who might want to talk about him? Do you remember any of his favourite songs or movies that you could watch and have a good cry over? Feel free to pm me x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I'm so sorry. This is very tough for you.

A similar thing happened to me recently and advice from a few friends helped me enormously.

The best things were creating a good, safe, calm, relaxing place and then writing a letter telling all of your thoughts, regrets and memories.

If writing a letter is too complicated, then i would suggest you do the same, as above but talk the whole thing through out aloud. Its best to light a candle and sit awhile to gather your thoughts, then speak. Im sure your friend will hear you and be honoured by your words.

No matter if you have no religious belief, the power of prayer is enormous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you both for your kind words and advice.

I have arranged for a small group of us to go the local beach and have a little memorial service of our own. Nothing too major, just a little send off for him.

It's just so surreal. Poor guy.

I feel for you too Kiviraat & Dozyrosie. It's so awful.

xxx
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    Thank you both for your kind words and advice.

I have arranged for a small group of us to go the local beach and have a little memorial service of our own. Nothing too major, just a little send off for him.

It's just so surreal. Poor guy.

I feel for you too Kiviraat & Dozyrosie. It's so awful.

xxx

That sounds like a lovely thing to do. I hope it gives you a little bit of closure, and I'm sure your friend would be so chuffed that even though you hadn't seen each other for so long, that you still remember him fondly. I've no idea what we're going to do (if anything) for our friend. Maybe get a group of us together and do a big dog walk on the beach as he loved them so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    That sounds like a lovely thing to do. I hope it gives you a little bit of closure, and I'm sure your friend would be so chuffed that even though you hadn't seen each other for so long, that you still remember him fondly. I've no idea what we're going to do (if anything) for our friend. Maybe get a group of us together and do a big dog walk on the beach as he loved them so much.

I hope so - he obviously had his demons and perhaps didn't realise that even though we all didn't see each other much, we were all still there for him.

I just had a good hour's chat with another friend who knew The Bear and we were in fits of laughter telling stories about him. That's made me happier - remembering the good times - there were so many.

A dog walk is a lovely idea too - if he loved dogs then it's perfect.

xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very sorry to hear your news and it sounds like you found a way to remember him. Suicide must be hard to come to terms with.

It is natural that people change friends and drift apart. It doesn't mean that you did not value your friend at the time but circumstances change and make it hard to maintain friendships - it is on realistically possible to have time for a certain number of close friends.

It is very sad that your friend ended his own life but the fact you had lost touch does not mean you should feel guilty. But do as you are doing and take time to remember him and to come to terms with his death.