Low Upstream? (16Mbps Down - 1Mbps Up)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
I know upstream is generally lower than down but does a 1Mbps up sound right when the down is 16Mbps?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3836453402.png

Comments

• ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For ADSL, that's about the top speed of the upstream, regardless of the downstream speed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    For ADSL, that's about the top speed of the upstream, regardless of the downstream speed.

Well that sucks lol
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RipGroove wrote: »
    Well that sucks lol

Well you could have 8.5Mb in both directions if you wanted, if ADSL gave you that option.

Basically both upload and download have to share the same available signal bandwidth for ADSL. As people tend to download more data than they upload it seemed sensible to allocate more of that bandwidth to downloading.

If the phone network used one pair of wires for signals to the exchange and a second pair for signals from the exchange, (rather than one pair for both directions at the same time), then in theory you could have 16MB in both directions. Because the two directions would not be sharing the same space in that instance.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know upstream is generally lower than down but does a 1Mbps up sound right when the down is 16Mbps?
    Think yourself lucky. Many ADSL users struggle to get much faster than 1Mbps Download, let alone upload. Before I went to FTTC, the best my line could manage reliably on ADSL was about 1.6 Mbps down.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Well you could have 8.5Mb in both directions if you wanted, if ADSL gave you that option.

Not really, that would be SDSL not ADSL and how often do you see that being offered.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes sucks when you cannot even upgrade to FTTC like here :( .
    Or I would defo have it.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    Not really, that would be SDSL not ADSL and how often do you see that being offered.

I know, perhaps I should have posted that you could have 16MB upload and 1MB download instead :)
    Forum Member
    Or I would defo have it.

Same.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you just moved to a new place?
    Forum Member
    Have you just moved to a new place?

Yeah.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or I would defo have it.

Meh... it depends.

My parents just got put on FTTC and it gives 11mbps down and 1mbps up.

Probably the same speeds as ADSL2+ on the same line.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3836453402.png

Yes as others have said you won't get much more than 1 up on ADSL.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3839282811
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member

Not true. the current max is around 3.3Mbps.

it's called Annex M
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielmeah wrote: »
    Not true. the current max is around 3.3Mbps.

it's called Annex M

You are correct. However AFAIK none of the mainstream ISPs are offering Annex M, mainly a few niche providers like A&A offer it for an additional fee.

Certainly Sky who the OP is with are not offering it anyway.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    You are correct. However AFAIK none of the mainstream ISPs are offering Annex M, mainly a few niche providers like A&A offer it for an additional fee.

Certainly Sky who the OP is with are not offering it anyway.

O2 did, but that was removed from the offer when their customers were switched to Sky's infrastructure. I had to switch to A&A in order to continue to get it. It's available on the TalkTalk wholesale product, but few of TT's customers offer it.