Options

Paris opera ejects woman in Muslim veil

Comments

• Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhat heartening that theatricals / musicians are taking a stand, they're usually leftie loops. Times are a-changin'.

A Muslim wouldn't attend the Paris opera full stop, much less a tourist. She was trying to make a political statement and was brought down to size. Way to go, French folks. We can learn a lot from you.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was she accompanied, or on her own? interested to know the answer to that one.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was she accompanied, or on her own? interested to know the answer to that one.

accompanied.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    Somewhat heartening that theatricals / musicians are taking a stand, they're usually leftie loops. Times are a-changin'.

A Muslim wouldn't attend the Paris opera full stop, much less a tourist. She was trying to make a political statement and was brought down to size. Way to go, French folks. We can learn a lot from you.

Why wouldn't a Muslim woman attend an opera?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    accompanied.

what did he or she do. then? does anyone know?
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't a Muslim woman attend an opera?

Along with banning kites, the Taleban banned all music and dancing. They are un-islamic.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    We're getting "taken for a ride" just because we respect individual freedom and don't ban clothing that seems odd to us?

So how much individual freedom does a 15 year old girl in a muslim family have, do you suppose?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warlord wrote: »
    Along with banning kites, the Taleban banned all music and dancing. They are un-islamic.

Since the Taleban != All Muslims, your point is moot. That's like me saying we should ban all members of the BNP from speaking as their leadership is/was racist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what did he or she do. then? does anyone know?

They both left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how much individual freedom does a 15 year old girl in a muslim family have, do you suppose?

About as much as a 15 year old girl in a family of BNP supporters, but without the racism and a little more education.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was she living under Taleban rule?
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is where you lose any meagre credibility whatsoever.
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone in the audience was breaking the law and visibly breaking the law. Should they just ignore it?

Because people are aloud to have opinions and tough luck if people get upset about it!
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Do you? Perhaps the lady doesn't speak French
    IMO it was heavy handed but seems to appeal to those who want to dictate what people do or do not wear
    As I said earlier I hope the people applauding that the law is being so strictly upheld will be equally in favour of laws being applied in other areas
    I somehow doubt it

Why was it heavy handed? Do you think that random motorists should be excused for speeding for example?

I strongly suspect that this lady went out of her way to make an 'in your face' statement. I doubt very much if she minded being ejected from the opera, as that, and the resulting publicity was her sole aim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    What has that got to do with this matter? It is not my awareness of foreign law that is to be questioned Personally I do know about the dress code for women in Saudi but because I am aware of this how does it follow that this woman was aware of the French law?

Are you seriously suggesting that given the level of publicity that the ban on wearing the veil in France has received, that a burka wearing woman wouldn't be aware of it?

Really???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pcawthron wrote: »
    France bans the niqab in 2011 and nobody in the Gulf knows?

Why didn't her friends, family, travel agent, taxi driver, airline check-in, departing immigration, departing security, cabin staff, fellow passengers, ariving security, arriving immigration, taxi driver, hotel check-in, relatives, friends, strangers, Louis Vuitton sales women, restaurant staff, ticket agency, another taxi, theatre security, usherette, ticket window or popcorn seller point this out to her?

This being DS, If we wait long enough, I imagine we'll be asked to believe that none of the above were aware of the law either. ^_^
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    Because people are aloud to have opinions and tough luck if people get upset about it!

It's "allowed".
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    There's no law against wearing a motorcycle helmet in a bank. Probably not one against ski masks either, though I can't be sure about that.

Why should full face coverings be banned everywhere? Could cause problems for bikers when they're on their bikes.

What about tights?
  • Options
    neversaydieneversaydie Posts: 1,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the point missed is she was refused a refund, so perhaps she put it on after gaining entry.
    If the ticket office let her in wearing it a refund would be fair.
    Also check you tube a baldy man of 40 is refused entry to a job centre as he was wearing a flatcap. and refused to remove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpcTolK2E3k
  • Options
    pcawthronpcawthron Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also check you tube a baldy man of 40 is refused entry to a job centre as he was wearing a flatcap. and refused to remove it.

Chorley JCP:

"If you come in here wearing an hijab you can't claim benefits. Is that right?"
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Odd choice of viewing for such a devout Muslim, given the boozy sexiness of La Traviata. To be honest, the whole episode seems a bit... staged, for want of a better word.
  • Options
    ennuiennui Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About as much as a 15 year old girl in a family of BNP supporters, but without the racism and a little more education.
    Do you have any evidence to support this racist slur? It would be helpful for us all if you could advise us how you came about this knowledge.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    If I was snorting lines of coke off the back of the seat, Im sure I would have been ejected.

At the opera? :o
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone in the audience was breaking the law and visibly breaking the law. Should they just ignore it?

If they didn't worry about it then it wouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why do you assume that she was part of the Taleban?