Options

An Adventure in Space and Time- A couple of questions

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
I am not a big dr who fan but I enjoyed it. Also nice to see it was made with respect to Hartnell .

Just two questions
1) There is a scene where some "extra" (?) volunteers to have his teeth blacked out. I may be mistaken but the same character reappears, Is this based on an actual person?

2) there is a scene at the bar where "Hussein" or "Lambert" are getting the eye from some guy. What's the point of it? its more than just filler or background.

Comments

• Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I am not a big dr who fan but I enjoyed it. Also nice to see it was made with respect to Hartnell .

Just two questions
    1) There is a scene where some "extra" (?) volunteers to have his teeth blacked out. I may be mistaken but the same character reappears, Is this based on an actual person?

2) there is a scene at the bar where "Hussein" or "Lambert" are getting the eye from some guy. What's the point of it? its more than just filler or background.

1) Not sure of the first one

2) Waris Hussein is gay - I believe he was getting "the eye"
  • Options
    Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think that's a variation of a story that Derek Newark (Za the caveman) used to tell. One of the extras, a rather good looking girl, went off to have a quiet word with her agent and never came back as he'd told her she was going to appear in 'Doctor No' but here she was being put into a flea-filled studio and having her teeth blacked out...
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    Waris Hussein is gay - I believe he was getting "the eye"

i didn't know that, not that that matters of course :), i just didn't realise
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2) Waris Hussein is gay - I believe he was getting "the eye"
    It seems an odd clumsy mechanism JUST to use to impart the information "he was gay", and why would we need to be told it in the first place?

Don't get me wrong, I would not bat an eye lid if there was a scene where "Lambert" went back to his flat and "Hussein " greeted his partner with a kiss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems an odd clumsy mechanism JUST to use to impart the information "he was gay", and why would we need to be told it in the first place?

Don't get me wrong, I would not bat an eye lid if there was a scene where "Lambert" went back to his flat and "Hussein " greeted his partner with a kiss.

It would have been to connect it to the scene the moment before, where the barman was ignoring him (because he was Indian). It was just to emphasis how much of an outsider he was, a gay Indian in 1963.

Funny how much some people bring up the "gay agenda" thing in modern who, I think this was MG's reply. I guess it puts Sydney in a good light as well, he clearly hired whoever he wanted.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Lii wrote: »
    It would have been to connect it to the scene the moment before, where the barman was ignoring him (because he was Indian). It was just to emphasis how much of an outsider he was, a gay Indian in 1963.

Funny how much some people bring up the "gay agenda" thing in modern who, I think this was MG's reply. I guess it puts Sydney in a good light as well, he clearly hired whoever he wanted.

I think that was definitely the idea. Undeniably true as well - hiring a woman and a gay Indian to run an in-house BBC teatime production was a brave move to say the least.

Obviously, it also reflects very well on Hartnell that he signed up to work with them. There are some troubling stories about his politically incorrect beliefs, but I find them hard to believe given his great respect for Verity and his apparently strong relationship with Waris.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I think that was definitely the idea. Undeniably true as well - hiring a woman and a gay Indian to run an in-house BBC teatime production was a brave move to say the least.

Obviously, it also reflects very well on Hartnell that he signed up to work with them. There are some troubling stories about his politically incorrect beliefs, but I find them hard to believe given his great respect for Verity and his apparently strong relationship with Waris.

There's probably some truth to the Hartnell stories, bigotry isn't exactly rational. It's similar to the cliche of the time, where someone would have an Indian Doctor they insist on keeping despite despite being anti-immigration.

The point is, he was a product of his generation and obviously didn't hate people once he knew them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you are right .... I'm not so sure it "worked", but you are probably correct.
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »

Peter Purvis confimed the stories about Hartnell during a Q&A at a convention I went to recently (I think it was the Project Motormouth convention). But I would imagine those views were not uncommon among Hartnell's generation
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's probably some truth to the Hartnell stories, bigotry isn't exactly rational. It's similar to the cliche of the time, where someone would have an Indian Doctor they insist on keeping despite despite being anti-immigration.

Indeed — in the UK at least I think many run-of-the-mill racists, especially those who had been raised in an environment where racism was just assumed, would differentiate between the people they'd actually met and the ones they imagined. It's not that they wished anyone specific any ill-will, they just never really thought about it. That's why it's once communities stopped being so mono-ethnic and the negative effects of that sort of laziness of thought became apparent that mainstream racism died out, despite resistance from hardcore fringes.
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rionia wrote: »
    Peter Purvis confimed the stories about Hartnell during a Q&A at a convention I went to recently (I think it was the Project Motormouth convention). But I would imagine those views were not uncommon among Hartnell's generation

I just remembered, at the Regenerations convention that Peter Purvis mentioned it.