Options

Amy's terrible CPR!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Can I just point out that my post on the previous page was a jokey post? I'm not taking this thread as seriously as some people.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Can we please just let this complete "non" thread die and be buried.

It got far more posts than it should've!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    And then watch as your mother/father/sister/brother/child dies whilst the ambulance makes its way to you.

Cool. :rolleyes:

un called for but i see your point actually i dont.... but i know how to do CPR you know why because i DONT take this stuff from TV i either go on a course or ask a professional to show me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dr Ginge wrote: »
    un called for but i see your point actually i dont.... but i know how to do CPR you know why because i DONT take this stuff from TV i either go on a course or ask a professional to show me

Ok, things starting up again!

Doc, stop biting and let it die:)
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not think the general public should be trained in CPR then DoctorQui? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't up to a fiction-based TV show like Doctor Who to educate the British public!
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Ginge wrote: »
    un called for but i see your point actually i dont....
    Strange as it's not difficult.
    but i know how to do CPR you know why because i DONT take this stuff from TV i either go on a course or ask a professional to show me

Yup, that's what I did.

But that fact that we did does not address the fact that a lot of people don't and it would be a good idea if more did.

So, whilst the idea is fresh in people's minds it might be a good idea if the BBC used the opportunity to nudge people in the right direction.

Seems sensible to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't up to a fiction-based TV show like Doctor Who to educate the British public!

No one is suggesting that the training should have been incorporated into the programme. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is suggesting that the training should have been incorporated into the programme. :rolleyes:
    That is pretty much what the entire thread is saying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    As somebody who's had CPR performed on them, I can confidently say that my ribs were not broken or cracked, but I did however receive quite a bit of bruising :)

The Medic who brought me round briefly said that cracked ribs happen, it just depends on the person giving the CPR and the person receiving it. It's not common, but neither is it uncommon.

So basically, the people who're arguing on this thread are both right :) (In a sense at least.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is pretty much what the entire thread is saying.

LOL. not even close.

At least half the posters are of the opinion that it shouldn't or that it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Can someone please give me CPR.

I'm having difficulty breathing as a result of a combination of shock and sheer hilarity at the fact that this thread is still so drama fueled!
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    A myth.

It doesn't if done properly.

Correct. Example: Michael Jackson's doctor attempted CPR whilst Michael was on the bed, a soft surface - precisely why he suffered broken ribs as well :)
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think everyone should remember this thread. Because this is how most of the Moffat-vs-RTD, standalone-vs-serial, dark-vs-light, time-travel-vs-adventure debates look to everyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think everyone should remember this thread. Because this is how most of the Moffat-vs-RTD, standalone-vs-serial, dark-vs-light, time-travel-vs-adventure debates look to everyone else.

Sadly:D:D:D
  • Options
    JazzSP8JazzSP8 Posts: 440
    Forum Member

... And then refrain from ever doing it again.

Seriously, I can't help but look through some of this and think is what's wrong with the world today LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JazzSP8 wrote: »

Seriously, I can't help but look through some of this and think is what's wrong with the world today LOL

I know, I'm deeply embarrased by my part in it:o
  • Options
    Masie_daisyMasie_daisy Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Can I venture into this debate, usually lurk but would like to say I'm a practising A & E Nurse, my mum is also a Nurse, my father a Consultant in a leading teaching hospital and my brother is an A & E Doctor between us we have over 70 years medical experience. None of us have ever come across, heard about or caused broken ribs while performing CPR, really don't think it is as common as some are saying.

Amy's technique was bad and wouldn't have worked, she didn't open his airway and she definitely wasn't pressing hard enough to break Rory's ribs but then this is a piece of fiction about a time travelling alien and not casualty.

Scuttle's back to lurking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »

me to but hay you only live once.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can I venture into this debate, usually lurk but would like to say I'm a practising A & E Nurse, my mum is also a Nurse, my father a Consultant in a leading teaching hospital and my brother is an A & E Doctor between us we have over 70 years medical experience. None of us have ever come across, heard about or caused broken ribs while performing CPR, really don't think it is as common as some are saying.

Amy's technique was bad and wouldn't have worked, she didn't open his airway and she definitely wasn't pressing hard enough to break Rory's ribs but then this is a piece of fiction about a time travelling alien and not casualty.

Scuttle's back to lurking.

And on that note, can the thread please close:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Theres nothing wrong with pointing out how crap their CPR enactment was. It certainly distracted from the moment for me and its not at all unreasonable to expect more from the Beeb since it would have taken very little effort for them to get it right.

The way some have exaggerating peoples comments to imply they think the world is coming to an end is somewhat childish imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL. not even close.

At least half the posters are of the opinion that it shouldn't or that it doesn't matter.

I know! I am part of that half!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly:D:D:D

What we have here is a classic example of a very strange internet phenomenon. Namely that when people are not interested in a subject or do not think it important they will go to extraordinary lengths to ridicule those who do think it's interesting or important and to stifle discussion.

Imagine how long this thread would have been (and how long ago it would have sunk into obscurity) if, after someone had pointed out that Amy's CPR technique was not too hot, those who were not interested or thought it unimportant had just quietly moved on.

Someone came up with an internet 'law' some years ago that said that whenever anyone intervened to complain about an off topic post on Usenet the resulting ruckus would inevitably create far more disturbance than the original OT post would have done had it been left alone.

The law seems just as true today in that people who get their panties in a bunch because they think some discussion is silly/unimportant/off topic will almost invariably cause the discussion to be extended to many times the length it would otherwise have had, both in terms of time and number of posts.
    Ja88ed wrote: »
    The way some have exaggerating peoples comments to imply they think the world is coming to an end is somewhat childish imo.

Quite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You do have a peculiar way of understanding things.

I haven't found one post that says the technique was anything but poor!

However, I have seen many that say who cares, it was a sci fi telly programme. Unfortunately others, myself included got drawn into a digressed debate that was meaningless responding to messages from people trying to put the world to rights.

Please point out a post to me were someone was ridiculing those who are so adamant that the beeb should have used an episode of Doctor Who as a reminder to all on how to do correct CPR.

The so called ridiculing posts you did highlight, mine included, were simply laughing at themselves.

I think perspective is clearly lacking on this thread.

Bugger, I started again, soz everyone but that post p'd me off!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do have a peculiar way of understanding things.

I haven't found one post that says the technique was anything but poor!
    Well, it seems as if it's you who has a peculiar way of understanding things because I never said anything that implies there was.
    Please point out a post to me were someone was ridiculing those who are so adamant that the beeb should have used an episode of Doctor Who as a reminder to all on how to do correct CPR.

Certainly:
    You have to be ******* kidding me. Make a pubic service announcement about how to do CPR?

People are absolutely ridiculous. IT'S A TV SHOW! GET A LIFE!!!

There are many others.
    The so called ridiculing posts you did highlight, mine included, were simply laughing at themselves.

I think perspective is clearly lacking on this thread.

You seem to be terribly confused; to the point that it's not clear what you are trying to say.

Are you on the side of those who think the BBC should not have shown inept CPR without even making a comment about it or are you on the side of those who think it's just a TV programme and shouldn't even have been discussed?

Or did you change your mind half way through? :D

At the time of posting you have made twice as may post in this thread as anyone else so I presume you have a strong view one way or another but from the post quoted here it's not clear what your position is.
    Bugger, I started again, soz everyone but that post p'd me off!

Evidently. It's just a shame that you could not have made a more coherent explanation as to why because you appear to be vacillating between agreement and disagreement from line to line. :eek: