What to do with old vinyl

chris_elevatechris_elevate Posts: 585
Forum Member
✭✭
I have some (not a huge amount) of vinyl records. I am moving house so winded if there where sites or places will take then off my hands? Or is it time to take them to the tip? Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Comments

• RobPyattRobPyatt Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    most charity shops will take them.

you could try ebay, but to be honest, they don't really appear to sell well, and often go for so little, it is hardly worth the bother.
  • gamernewbiegamernewbie Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Vinyl records are making a big comeback, post on Facebook to see if someone wants them, or give them to a charity shop.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    RobPyatt wrote: »
    most charity shops will take them.

you could try ebay, but to be honest, they don't really appear to sell well, and often go for so little, it is hardly worth the bother.

That's the worst piece of advice I've seen on here for a long time

Yes- a lot of vinyl is worthless. But a lot of vinyl is worth a small fortune. You really need to find out what yours is worth. At the very least take them to an independent second hand record shop to see if they are worth anything. If your vinyl is worth something they will offer you a reasonable amount even if it is still a lot less than the real value.

To really get an idea have a look at Record Collector
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Shotgun and 'frisbies'
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What kind of stuff is it?

Your mainstream 80s stuff won't be worth a great deal but you never know, you probably need to do some research

Personally, I think it's sacrilege to bin any vinyl - I just couldn't bring myself to do it!!!
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Marksw76 wrote: »
    Personally, I think it's sacrilege to bin any vinyl - I just couldn't bring myself to do it!!!

I just couldn't bring myself to do it!!! It's my childhood and tells my story back then!!!! Sigh!😊
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like playing records now and again, but you need to store them well to prevent damage, so firstly I'd suggest keeping them.

If you want rid and don't have a vast collection, try looking them up online to see if you have any valuable ones, before you either give them away or sell them.

You could offer them on freecycle or something similar.

Failing all of the above, save them for a Shaun of the Dead moment.. :D
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Records that are worn or scratched are usually worthless. Nobody will pay good money "sight unseen" so, if you think any might be worth a few pounds, take them to a shop. The only one I know of is in Stockton-on-Tees. It was featured on BBC recently as "Sound It Out".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nwfxx
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I have some (not a huge amount) of vinyl records. I am moving house so winded if there where sites or places will take then off my hands? Or is it time to take them to the tip? Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

I wouldn't bin them or give them to charity without checking out what they are worth.

Depending on the type of music you're into, vinyl may be irreplaceable, as in never have been released on CD.

Have you got any limited edition releases.

Have you got any Japanese pressings, as these tend to be of a higher quality than standard pressings.

Have you got any white labels.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_label

Have you got any records which are signed by the artist.

Have you got any limited edition remixes.

All of the above could add to the value of your collection.

And finally PM a DS user called jasvinyl. The clue is in the name. IIRC, she mainly deals with rock type music in her shop, so it might be worth asking her.

Alternatively, find out if there is a shop selling vinyl in your area.

Some vinyl can easily fetch £50-£100/record these days and even more.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Marksw76 wrote: »

Me too. Some of the vinyl I've got is irreplaceable and you can't put a value on that. For me, some of it is sentimental and it would almost be like losing your wedding photos.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I asked a local record collector shop to come and value my vinyl collection. I had about 200 albums, mainly 80's stuff plus about 70 12 inch singles. Basically he didnt want to know. I think unless you have a pristine copy of Sgt Pepper signed by Paul McCartney and John Lennon they are not interested! So my vinyl ended up at the council tip shop.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on what the records are, some may be worthless and some may be worth something. The condition does matter but anyone expecting decades old records to be in pristine condition is being rather optimistic. It is worth checking before you get rid and even then try a charity shop to avoid landfill.

A first press 'blue text' copy of Hendrix's 1968 Electric Ladyland in excellent condition sold on ebay for £1250 a while back, sadly my copy isn't one of those.
  • dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every vinyl record is worth something to somebody, so don't bin them. Vinyl does sell well on Ebay I find, otherwise check on the internet for online shops who are always interested in buying whatever you have. Local record fairs also buy collections, but you'd have to take them in on the day of the fair. As someone else said as well, charity shops will take them off your hands.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    You can use www.gemm.com to see what the average prices are for any records you are curious about.