Options

Horse Racing 2014

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP Dessie Hughes

This new starting procedure seems to catch out the commentators if no the jockeys and starters.......Neesom just panicked on RUK as they were showing some form video he was shouting 'they're going to start'........

and several times I've noticed them just missing the beginning or handing over too early and having to go back to the presenters....

They commentators should do what that Dessie Scahill does in Ireland......if they hand over too early he just doesn't say anything until the 'off'.........:D
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Queally has been banned from driving for 22 months
    Quite an unusual defence.......

Queally was more than twice over the limit after being found asleep behind the wheel of his BMW, claimed he had not been drinking, then "rolled" out of a police car and lay down on the ground after being arrested, Crewe Magistrates' Court heard.

But his lawyer Nick Freeman, known as "Mr Loophole" claimed the 30-year-old, most famous for being the regular jockey of Frankel, was "morally totally innocent" as he was "sleep driving" at the time and claimed the law needed to be changed.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/2/9567943/tom-queally-banned-from-driving-after-claiming-he-was-sleep-walking-while-drink-driving
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Tom Queally has been banned from driving for 22 months
    Quite an unusual defence.......

Queally was more than twice over the limit after being found asleep behind the wheel of his BMW, claimed he had not been drinking, then "rolled" out of a police car and lay down on the ground after being arrested, Crewe Magistrates' Court heard.

But his lawyer Nick Freeman, known as "Mr Loophole" claimed the 30-year-old, most famous for being the regular jockey of Frankel, was "morally totally innocent" as he was "sleep driving" at the time and claimed the law needed to be changed.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/2/9567943/tom-queally-banned-from-driving-after-claiming-he-was-sleep-walking-while-drink-driving
    He could ride a horse instead... They were the 'cars' of ye olde days before the motor engine which is still rated in horsepower :)
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Oh no ! Jim Crowley of all people just did a Shane Kelly in the 1:10 at Southwell. Trying to win on the bridle and got beat. Watch the replay between your fingers, it's horrific. :eek:

In fairness the horse in question is a serial bridesmaid and a bit of a reluctant hero but still no excuse. Brings the sport into disrepute, as witnessed on Twitter where people are trying to suggest it was fixed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last years National winning jockey Ryan Mania has announced his retirement at 25 citing weight issues and long distance travelling

[url]Http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/9579497/retirement-for-grand-national-hero-ryan-mania[/url]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Former trainer Lady Herries has died

Her best horse was probably Celtic Swing. I remember him winning the G1 Racing Post Trophy very easily by a long distance.

she was married to former England cricket captain Colin Cowdrey (but had inherited her title on her own behalf)
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Former trainer Lady Herries has died

Her best horse was probably Celtic Swing. I remember him winning the G1 Racing Post Trophy very easily by a long distance.

she was married to former England cricket captain Colin Cowdrey (but had inherited her title on her own behalf)

I knew about Colin Cowdrey, but until I read her obit, I didn't know about her G1 winners back in the day. Or that Celtic Swing was one of them (one of the horses I was aware of for some reason before having a racing interest).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Last years National winning jockey Ryan Mania has announced his retirement at 25 citing weight issues and long distance travelling

[url]Http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/9579497/retirement-for-grand-national-hero-ryan-mania[/url]

A real shame. Always had a soft spot for him and especially Auroras Encore, and his connection with Sue Smith.

Given that his lowest riding weight in the last year has been 10st2 and last weekend Robbie McNamara TURNED pro with a lowest riding weight in the last year of 11st5, I find that a real shame.

I know he quit for a while in 2011 (after Howard Johnson was banned), so I suspect there's more to this than just the weight and it has as much to do with needing to make that weight to get enough rides to make a half-decent standard of living. It can't be fun to have to starve yourself just to do the job.

Nothing's mentioned about his future plans, hopefully he'll stay in the business.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Apprentice Jack Duern has been suspended for 5 months for repeatedly breaking whip rules.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=4970924&category=0

Seems incredibly harsh to me. The lad's still learning. You'd get less for not trying, such is the senseless nature of the BHA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Apprentice Jack Duern has been suspended for 5 months for repeatedly breaking whip rules.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=4970924&category=0

Seems incredibly harsh to me. The lad's still learning. You'd get less for not trying, such is the senseless nature of the BHA.

I'm afraid I haven't got any sympathy for him.....it looks like he's already had 9 bans since May prior to this latest ban........

He needs to go away and re-learn how to ride
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I haven't got any sympathy for him.....it looks like he's already had 9 bans since May prior to this latest ban........

He needs to go away and re-learn how to ride

What he said
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juts noticed as I was having a sad little browse, the Galileo - Lillie Langtry offspring "Kissed By Angels" an unraced 2yo filly is entered into the Irish Guineas and Oaks next year.
    Might be one to keep an eye on.

I was trying to find something about one of my favourite horses, Margot Did, but failed dismally so diverted to one of my other favourites instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Johnson has been banned for taking the wrong course yesterday at Exeter

A 12 day ban means he will miss the prestigeous Christmas meeting at Kempton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/30352520
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Claire won't be doing much presenting horse racing wise for Channel 4 next year

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/dec/06/clare-balding-channel-4-horse-racing
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Channel 4 have been maximising the use of her before the new contract terms kick in.

She has presented on the last two Saturdays (at Newbury's Hennessy meeting and at Sandown's Tingle Creek raceday).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't see it live but they have just been re-running the highlights at Doncaster

What a calamity at the last in the 12.30

3 in with a chance at the last. The fav unseated Brian Harding who fell in front of the 2nd fav and brought him down
    It left Smart Freddy to win by 41 lengths

Would imagine a few got burned on the in-running betting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An AW National Hunt flat race at the end of the jumps card at Lingfield today.

Why? Whay aren't they running it on the turf like all the other races on the card?

Do Lingfield reallly want to stage jumps racing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    An AW National Hunt flat race at the end of the jumps card at Lingfield today.

Why? Whay aren't they running it on the turf like all the other races on the card?

Do Lingfield reallly want to stage jumps racing?

They seem to do this at every jumps meeting.......I think the idea is that ground is often bottomless at Lingfield in the winter and trainers are more likely to run their young horses on a better surface

I imagine it was the trainers who were asking the course to run the bumpers on the polytrack !
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other than the three races at the GN festival itself, was the race last weekend the only other Aintree race that goes over the National fences? How many other Aintree meetings are there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other than the three races at the GN festival itself, was the race last weekend the only other Aintree race that goes over the National fences? How many other Aintree meetings are there?

there were 2 races on the National course last week.......the Beecham and the Grand Sefton

Those are the only other 2 races over the national fences apart from the races at the National meeting

Aintree have a meeting in October........not sure if they have any more now until April. They have a couple more during the summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jamie Spencer has reconsidered his decision to retire and has decided to carry on as a freelance jockey
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watching the Morning Line on +1

What a gorgeous girl that Lizzie Kelly is !.......:p

I saw an interview with her on RUK a couple of days ago........she is soooo posh !

She makes Emma look like domestic staff........:D

what a gal !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the Morning Line on +1

What a gorgeous girl that Lizzie Kelly is !.......:p

I saw an interview with her on RUK a couple of days ago........she is soooo posh !

She makes Emma look like domestic staff........:D

what a gal !

Don;t know about posh - she's got a strong West Country accent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Young Master must have a good chance in the big chase at Ascot today.
    He was seriously impressive last time in the Badger Ales and could be a young chaser going places. He's gone up a stone but deserved to really.

Question marks for me are the trainer's poor form at the moment and fact he could have been aimed specifically at that race last time.

Hoblon des Obeaux had a very hard race in the Hennessy. It was only three weeks ago. Venetia Willia's horses can take their racing well but that still has to be a question mark for me.

Ardkilly Witness is very interesting. Put down a pound for running well last time at Ascot (beaten only 4 lengths despite not jumping great last time by a horse that has won again since). Got a first time visor on today for a good trainer that is is decent form. Tom Scudamore looks a decent jockey booking to me too. 13/2 looks a nice price to me.

Hey Big Spender is a big price at 12/1. Won well last time and he's a big horse that likes carrying big weights (comments that Colin Tizzard has said more than once in the past and which his form backs up). He is a talented horse on his day and yard are in very good form. He can make jumping errors but this is a fairly small field today so the race shouldn;t put too much pressure on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also like Emell in the 1.25 at Lingfield.

He is a frontrunner drawn 1. Lots of hold-up horses in the race and only 5 runners. Jack of Diamonds has quite regularly been a frontrunner in the past but won last time after being held-up so I think there's a decent chance he will be riddent he same way today. Emell, in contrast, was held-up last time at Kempton and finished last so good chance he will revert to his usual tactics today.
    Was 2nd in a Group 2 at Goodwood in August (flattered probably but even so that was a far better class of race than today. Additionally, he was 2nd in a Listed race at Lingfield eighteen months ago so can go well on the track.

11/4 looks a good price to me.