Options

BBC iPlayer via PC

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I too have been having problems with IPlayer, I followed the advice on the IPlayer website, which was uninstall the prog.

Do a clean uninstall;

Delete the app folders that they advise,
    Delete the videos IPlayer folder

Reinstall and it is all working fine again..

for now.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Not strictly relevant to the problem on PCs but I am guessing that some Mac users may also be following this thread so...

Same process is required on the Mac. Delete iPlayer, delete the preferences file from the local user library, delete the Adobe Air Application support entry for BBC iPlayer and re-install.

I think the original problem does indeed come from the Adobe Air update and the BBC iPlayer profile from the previous version being incompatible.

Note that the user Library folder is normally invisible for OSX Lion users (need to open it manually from the Finder command bar).
  • Options
    Attila the PunAttila the Pun Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    The problem is acknowledged on the BBC iPlayer FAQs, and appears to have been associated with an Adobe AIR upgrade. However, I found there was no need in my case to do anything as drastic as completely reinstalling iPlayer. The key thing seems to be to empty the Repository folder (see below for where to find it), but then of course you lose all your downloaded programmes, many of which will no longer be available, even if you are prepared to spend the trouble and broadband allowance to download them again. I got round this by making a full copy of the iPlayer Repository with Windows Explorer, so as not to lose the recordings I had already downloaded. I then emptied the Repository directory. [A simpler approach would be to rename the original repository, then create a new folder with the original name. In fact, I think that’s what I did.]

From that point on, iPlayer resumed normal behaviour and would let me download new recordings, though of course the list on iPlayer Desktop (apart from new recordings) was empty, as the repository had been emptied. From iPlayer Desktop (Preferences) I increased the repository size (just in case that had been part of the problem), and then I started copying back folders from the copy repository to the actual one. As I did so, they reappeared in the list on iPlayer Desktop (close and reopen to see them). Big sigh of relief. I do not take credit for this, as I based my actions on what I read in freddyfrog’s posts in http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1339590752, with some corrections and variations.

The iPlayer repository (on Windows 7) if you have not specified a different location, will be c:\Users\<username>\My Documents\My Videos\BBC iPlayer\repository. NB This is NOT your regular My Videos folder (in your libraries), which is c:\Users\<username>\My Videos, but a subfolder created in My Documents. V confusing!

Each subfolder in the Repository folder (all with meaningless names such as “b01jrvcx”) corresponds to one downloaded programme (contains a .mp4 file if so) OR (without .mp4 and some other files) corresponds to a future download (or perhaps a series download). By browsing the data.dat file in each folder, you can see what programme it relates to, and choose whether or not to copy that folder back. I found folders there for programmes which I knew had either expired or which I had deleted explicitly in iPD, so clearly something had gone awry. I therefore made sure I deleted those manually from the copy repository and did NOT copy them into the real repository, as they were possibly part of the problem.

When you copy a subfolder relating to a series download, you may start to see a lot of downloads spring into life on iPD. I did, and suspended them all, because I already had a lot of the programmes, and was about to copy them across from the copy repository. Had I gone through everything properly first and had first copied the individual programmes’ folders over, this need not have happened.

If you try this and get to a point where the list of recordings on iPD suddenly empties again, I suspect it is because you have copied over a folder containing damaged content – as freddyfrog suggests. Try deleting that folder and restarting iPlayer Desktop (iPD). [Make sure when you do this, you do not just close the iPD window, but right-click the system icon at bottom right and select Exit.] If that does not fix it, try emptying the repository and starting again, leaving out the suspect folder(s). Failing that, I suspect the only thing will be a complete reinstallation as per BBC instructions. When you finish playing, remember to delete the copy repository, as it may be occupying a lot of disk.

And don’t think you can play these .mp4 files on another player. They are protected – earlier posts refer. If instead you opted to download them for Media Player instead of iPD, you may not be involved in any of this malarkey.

I wasn’t allowed to post for some time after I registered. Many of you reading this will probably have already deleted and reinstalled iPD by now, and no doubt lost your recordings. http://images.digitalspy.co.uk/forum/smilies/frown.gif Ah well…
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is acknowledged on the BBC iPlayer FAQs, and appears to have been associated with an Adobe AIR upgrade. However, I found there was no need in my case to do anything as drastic as completely reinstalling iPlayer. The key thing seems to be to empty the Repository folder (see below for where to find it), but then of course you lose all your downloaded programmes, many of which will no longer be available, even if you are prepared to spend the trouble and broadband allowance to download them again. I got round this by making a full copy of the iPlayer Repository with Windows Explorer, so as not to lose the recordings I had already downloaded. I then emptied the Repository directory. [A simpler approach would be to rename the original repository, then create a new folder with the original name. In fact, I think that’s what I did.]

From that point on, iPlayer resumed normal behaviour and would let me download new recordings, though of course the list on iPlayer Desktop (apart from new recordings) was empty, as the repository had been emptied. From iPlayer Desktop (Preferences) I increased the repository size (just in case that had been part of the problem), and then I started copying back folders from the copy repository to the actual one. As I did so, they reappeared in the list on iPlayer Desktop (close and reopen to see them). Big sigh of relief. I do not take credit for this, as I based my actions on what I read in freddyfrog’s posts in http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1339590752, with some corrections and variations.

The iPlayer repository (on Windows 7) if you have not specified a different location, will be c:\Users\<username>\My Documents\My Videos\BBC iPlayer\repository. NB This is NOT your regular My Videos folder (in your libraries), which is c:\Users\<username>\My Videos, but a subfolder created in My Documents. V confusing!

Each subfolder in the Repository folder (all with meaningless names such as “b01jrvcx”) corresponds to one downloaded programme (contains a .mp4 file if so) OR (without .mp4 and some other files) corresponds to a future download (or perhaps a series download). By browsing the data.dat file in each folder, you can see what programme it relates to, and choose whether or not to copy that folder back. I found folders there for programmes which I knew had either expired or which I had deleted explicitly in iPD, so clearly something had gone awry. I therefore made sure I deleted those manually from the copy repository and did NOT copy them into the real repository, as they were possibly part of the problem.

When you copy a subfolder relating to a series download, you may start to see a lot of downloads spring into life on iPD. I did, and suspended them all, because I already had a lot of the programmes, and was about to copy them across from the copy repository. Had I gone through everything properly first and had first copied the individual programmes’ folders over, this need not have happened.

If you try this and get to a point where the list of recordings on iPD suddenly empties again, I suspect it is because you have copied over a folder containing damaged content – as freddyfrog suggests. Try deleting that folder and restarting iPlayer Desktop (iPD). [Make sure when you do this, you do not just close the iPD window, but right-click the system icon at bottom right and select Exit.] If that does not fix it, try emptying the repository and starting again, leaving out the suspect folder(s). Failing that, I suspect the only thing will be a complete reinstallation as per BBC instructions. When you finish playing, remember to delete the copy repository, as it may be occupying a lot of disk.

And don’t think you can play these .mp4 files on another player. They are protected – earlier posts refer. If instead you opted to download them for Media Player instead of iPD, you may not be involved in any of this malarkey.

I wasn’t allowed to post for some time after I registered. Many of you reading this will probably have already deleted and reinstalled iPD by now, and no doubt lost your recordings. http://images.digitalspy.co.uk/forum/smilies/frown.gif Ah well…

My solution seemed so much simpler:confused:

Each to their own:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Swinetown,
    Your (and the BBC's) solution is indeed the thing to do - if you are willing to lose any downloaded programmes. If you are not content with doing so, then this provides a way out.

No-one sensible would do something more complex just for the sake of it. I saved about 12 dowloaded and unwatched programmes, many of which were no longer available to download afresh, and saved a huge chunk of my download allowance for the month too. But each to his own as you say.
    AtP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just found something I wish I had discovered weeks ago. If I right click on the iPlayer logo in my system tray it gives me a list of programs that I have downloaded. If I click on the program from this list it launches and I can watch it fine!

Does this work for anyone else?

Once I've watched all my expiring programs I will uninstall completely and reinstall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stator wrote: »
    I've just found something I wish I had discovered weeks ago. If I right click on the iPlayer logo in my system tray it gives me a list of programs that I have downloaded. If I click on the program from this list it launches and I can watch it fine!

Does this work for anyone else?

Once I've watched all my expiring programs I will uninstall completely and reinstall.

Was this suggested earlier in the thread? I couldn't swear to it, but it seems familiar and i tried it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swinetown wrote: »
    Was this suggested earlier in the thread? I couldn't swear to it, but it seems familiar and i tried it.

Haven't read the entire thread since my first reply. Only discovered it by accident so came back here to share incase it helps anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swinetown,
    Your (and the BBC's) solution is indeed the thing to do - if you are willing to lose any downloaded programmes. If you are not content with doing so, then this provides a way out.

No-one sensible would do something more complex just for the sake of it. I saved about 12 dowloaded and unwatched programmes, many of which were no longer available to download afresh, and saved a huge chunk of my download allowance for the month too. But each to his own as you say.
    AtP

It wasn't complex, it was all done in 3 mins......if that :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stator wrote: »
    Haven't read the entire thread since my first reply. Only discovered it by accident so came back here to share incase it helps anyone else.

It was a very good tip, this is why I love the forums, you can learn so much sometimes.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It wasn't complex, it was all done in 3 mins......if that :D

This problem is history, but I cannot pass from the thread without commenting that you are not reading what is written. It was YOU who said that MY method was unnecessarily complicated. I never suggested that what YOU did was complex, only that it could have a cost in loss of downloaded programmes that were no longer available to download, and waste of download allowance. Those that didn't care could do the simple thing you described. Those that wanted to save all they had already downloaded needed some other solution, and I am not the only one here who made the point. But you are right of course: the simple cure for Athlete's Foot is to take the leg off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have also been having the same problem using Win 7 since friday. I have found the following advice (see link).

http://www.martynwalker.com/2012/03/07/fix-broken-bbc-iplayer-andor-adobe-air/

After doing 1-4 I have also deleted the BBC directory in My Video's.

Not sure how this will work I am just going to try it now.

But as posted above if anyone manages to fix the problem please post on this thread.

The problem has happened for me on the latest version of iPlayer over a week ago (19/8/2012). I never had this on the previous version. This time iPlayer so-called support aren`t acknowledging this as an iPlayer problem as not enough people have reported it. After over a week they have come up with the solution that you have suggested. The problem is how do I locate numbers 3 & 4 of your solution as this is the latest suggestion from iPlayer?
    Please help as 3 programmes have already expired.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I too have been having problems with IPlayer, I followed the advice on the IPlayer website, which was uninstall the prog.

Do a clean uninstall;

Delete the app folders that they advise,
    Delete the videos IPlayer folder

Reinstall and it is all working fine again..

for now.:)

I`ve lost all my downloads & am unable to download any programmes. iplayer only streams programmes.

Where do I find the Air app folder & the iPlayer app folder?
    I was told to uninstall these after uninstallinng Air & iPlayer from the Control programs. It would be great if you could help me. Thanks,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just happened again after a program expired :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    This happened to me today :(

IPlayer has been working perfectly since installation until I updated Adobe Air to version 3.5 this morning after which it went caput.

I am running Windows 7. I am certain the the fault lies with the Adobe Air v3.5 update.

Before you do all the stuff below, it might be worth just uninstalling Adobe AIR v3.5 via the Control Panel, and then downloading and installing v3.1 from the OldApps website: http://www.oldapps.com/adobe_air.php?old_adobe_air=6837

If that doesn't work, keep reading ...

I tried all sorts of things to get it working again until the following method worked (unfortunately by then I had deleted all my downloads thinking they might have become corrupted):

1) Unistall Adobe AIR via the Control Panel / Remove Programs

2) Uninstall BBC iPlayer desktop via the Control Panel / Remove Programs

3) Delete the following 2 folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\BBCiPlayerDesktop.61DB7A798358575D6A969CCD73DDBBD723A6DA9D.1

C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\Adobe\AIR\ELS\BBCiPlayerDesktop.61DB7A798358575D6A969CCD73DDBBD723A6DA9D.1

4) I also made a backup copy of my Registry and deleted the AIR and iPlayer registry keys using regedit. (Use Edit / Find "iPlayer" to locate them).

The keys should be located in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe

Not certain if this step is strictly ecessary, but it worked ok for me.

5) If you haven't already deleted your BBC iPlayer/repository folder which contains all your downloaded programmes (usually located in My Videos unless you have changed the default folder for your downloads)

i.e. C:\Users\[your user name]\Videos\BBC iPlayer

DON'T delete it, unless you are really not worried about losing all your downloads.

Instead, make a backup copy of it in a different location on your computer, and rename your original repository to repository-bak.

(I'm not sure whether my method will reinstate your downloaded programmes in your original repository or not, as I had already deleted mine)

6) I also removed BBC iPlayer and Adobe Updaters from the startup list via msconfig (not certain if this is strictly necessary though).

7) Reboot your computer.

8) Open your browser and go the BBC iPlayer webiste.

9) Select a programme to download.

Your should automatically be asked if you want to download and install iPlayer desktop, to which you should agree, then follow the installation instructions.

This installation, crucially, will include Adobe AIR v3.1 (not v3.5)

Hopefully this will see your iPlayer desktop working again.

DO NOT UPDATE your Adobe AIR again!!

Annoyingly it will repeatedly ask you if you want to update it and doesn't give you the option not to ask you again :( You just have to select "Update Later"

If you have saved a back up of your repository, exit iPlayer desktop, first backup or rename your new repository folder, and try reinstating your old one, then restart iPlayer Desktop.

If this doesn't work, you will need to reinstate the backup of your new repository folder in the same way.

If anyone is successful in reinstating their previously downloaded prorammes, please post this on the forum - thanks.
  • Options
    Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happened to me also and BBC are aware.
    Last time I restored my programs by going offline, deleting all future downloads and pausing series records (after making a back-up folder of all completed downloads)
    Really can't be faffed to try that all again, hopefully a fix will be issued soon.
    I will lose two shows if not fixed asap I know for sure, another I can stream as it goes in 4 days but as for others I can't remember. I am not downloading the last 7 days again into WMP!

I tried getting rid of 3.5 and replacing with 3.1 but it didn't work :( Also installing the previous version failed.

All I have watchabe (right click on logo in tray) out of 15gb is 300mb worth of cartoons!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to update, those cartoons are not watch able after all.
    Hopefully BBC will come up with a fix soon.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Older versions of Air for mac here...

http://mac.filehorse.com/download-adobe-air/old-versions/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For PC ... must be somewhere
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PC versions are here:
    http://www.oldapps.com/adobe_air.php

However - I rolled back to Adobe AIR 3.4.2710 & the blank screen problem still existed..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Air v3.5xxx kyboshed it for me.

I initially tried v3.3xxx, that worked, then v3.4xxx that worked too, for me on my iMac with OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Not the blank screen problem, iPlayer just wouldn't download under v3.5xxx

My main ( iMac ) thread elsewhere is at

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=62258486#post62258486
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This version worked for me (air 3.4.0.2540)

http://www.oldapps.com/adobe_air.php?old_adobe_air=8210

(and as a bonus the majority of downloads now expire 12 December after an initial "license pending")

Got all downloads back bar the expired one, and new series link downloads working.

Haven't yet attempted new downloads from the website. I have enough of a backlog now as it is!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At least the beeb have now acknowledged the problem and are dealing with it:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/announcements/ipd_air_contentdisappear

So hopefully soon the whole issue will get resolved

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/announcements/ipd_air_contentdisappear

The important part of the statement...

BBC iPlayer Desktop - Why am I unable to install new content and why have I lost downloaded content since installing the latest version of Adobe Air?
    Search iPlayer Questions

***Updated 09 November 2012***

We have replicated the fault and are currently in discussion with our service partner in finding a resolution, which occurs if the latest version of Adobe Air (3.5) is installed.

If you have Adobe Air 3.5 Installed you may not be able to download new programmes, including series catch-up downloads and any programmes already downloaded may have disappeared.

Part of my email to the BBC...

(bbc_iplayer_website@bbc.co.uk)

BBC iPlayer problem Apple mac iMac Nov 2012.... Solved with Air v3.4 reversion

BBC iPlayer problem Apple iMac Nov 2012

Mountain Lion 10.8.2

After a recent "auto" downloading Adobe Air v3.5, BBC iPlayer stopped working with error messages.

(29th October 2012 as I opened up BBC iPlayer)

I eventually traced problem to the v3.5 Air update, and reverting back to v3.3 and v3.4 cured the problem.

I had to use the Air uninstaller first to remove v3.5, and also a file manager air search, as the uninstaller wouldn't at first.

Be sure to add your feedback at the bottom of the page link
  • Options
    drempiredrempire Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Thanks this worked great, i also managed to get all my old programs back with what you said, the step with the registry i do not think is needed but best to it any ways
    boposop wrote: »
    This happened to me today :(

IPlayer has been working perfectly since installation until I updated Adobe Air to version 3.5 this morning after which it went caput.

I am running Windows 7. I am certain the the fault lies with the Adobe Air v3.5 update.

Before you do all the stuff below, it might be worth just uninstalling Adobe AIR v3.5 via the Control Panel, and then downloading and installing v3.1 from the OldApps website: http://www.oldapps.com/adobe_air.php?old_adobe_air=6837

If that doesn't work, keep reading ...

I tried all sorts of things to get it working again until the following method worked (unfortunately by then I had deleted all my downloads thinking they might have become corrupted):

1) Unistall Adobe AIR via the Control Panel / Remove Programs

2) Uninstall BBC iPlayer desktop via the Control Panel / Remove Programs

3) Delete the following 2 folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\BBCiPlayerDesktop.61DB7A798358575D6A969CCD73DDBBD723A6DA9D.1

C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\Adobe\AIR\ELS\BBCiPlayerDesktop.61DB7A798358575D6A969CCD73DDBBD723A6DA9D.1

4) I also made a backup copy of my Registry and deleted the AIR and iPlayer registry keys using regedit. (Use Edit / Find "iPlayer" to locate them).

The keys should be located in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe

Not certain if this step is strictly ecessary, but it worked ok for me.

5) If you haven't already deleted your BBC iPlayer/repository folder which contains all your downloaded programmes (usually located in My Videos unless you have changed the default folder for your downloads)

i.e. C:\Users\[your user name]\Videos\BBC iPlayer

DON'T delete it, unless you are really not worried about losing all your downloads.

Instead, make a backup copy of it in a different location on your computer, and rename your original repository to repository-bak.

(I'm not sure whether my method will reinstate your downloaded programmes in your original repository or not, as I had already deleted mine)

6) I also removed BBC iPlayer and Adobe Updaters from the startup list via msconfig (not certain if this is strictly necessary though).

7) Reboot your computer.

8) Open your browser and go the BBC iPlayer webiste.

9) Select a programme to download.

Your should automatically be asked if you want to download and install iPlayer desktop, to which you should agree, then follow the installation instructions.

This installation, crucially, will include Adobe AIR v3.1 (not v3.5)

Hopefully this will see your iPlayer desktop working again.

DO NOT UPDATE your Adobe AIR again!!

Annoyingly it will repeatedly ask you if you want to update it and doesn't give you the option not to ask you again :( You just have to select "Update Later"

If you have saved a back up of your repository, exit iPlayer desktop, first backup or rename your new repository folder, and try reinstating your old one, then restart iPlayer Desktop.

If this doesn't work, you will need to reinstate the backup of your new repository folder in the same way.

If anyone is successful in reinstating their previously downloaded prorammes, please post this on the forum - thanks.