Has RCA finally dropped Marcus Collins?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to wonder why 'entertainers' like Marcus Collins bother with X Factor when they go straight into musical theatre after. Good for him, but it's not the pop career he originally mapped out.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    You have to wonder why 'entertainers' like Marcus Collins bother with X Factor when they go straight into musical theatre after. Good for him, but it's not the pop career he originally mapped out.

I'm not sure Marcus had any great passion for music, though. Could be totally wrong but he seems to be happy as long as he's doing something which keeps him in the limelight, not necessarily being a recording artist. He was happy to let his album be rush-released, he was happy to get into some very public Twitter spats, and he seems to be happy going into musical theatre (which he should be, it's still a very decent way to make a living and a lot of people would love to have a part in the touring production of Hairspray - and I doubt he'd have got it if it wasn't for XF.)

I don't know, I just never got the impression from Marcus that he took music as seriously as some of the other acts that have been on XF. I'm surprised he hasn't popped up in a reality TV show yet (with the exception of XF, obviously!), but I expect that will come about sooner rather than later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I don't know, I just never got the impression from Marcus that he took music as seriously as some of the other acts that have been on XF. I'm surprised he hasn't popped up in a reality TV show yet (with the exception of XF, obviously!), but I expect that will come about sooner rather than later.

I think he did the cooking one, where they each take turns to host a dinner party.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure Marcus had any great passion for music, though. Could be totally wrong but he seems to be happy as long as he's doing something which keeps him in the limelight, not necessarily being a recording artist. He was happy to let his album be rush-released, he was happy to get into some very public Twitter spats, and he seems to be happy going into musical theatre (which he should be, it's still a very decent way to make a living and a lot of people would love to have a part in the touring production of Hairspray - and I doubt he'd have got it if it wasn't for XF.)

He co-wrote all the original songs on his album. He seems quite serious imo. He might have spats on twitter, but it doesn't mean he isn't serious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I still think he has a lot of star quality. He may not have a powerful voice like other winners and runner ups, but he has a beautiful tone, he is likable, he is Very good looking, and has is own style. Maybe it wasnt the righ time and context. I just hope he never gives up on music.
  • IsItThatDeepIsItThatDeep Posts: 1,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it was his choice to rush his album, he is always tweeting support of other musicians on twitter, and as the other DS member said above he co-wrote all the original material on his album in a short space of time, if that doesn't show passion what does?

He has already part written and recorded his 2nd album which he says should be released later this year and singing to 2000-3000 people each night in Hairspray for 6 months will hopefully generate some new fans outside of the X Factor bubble.

He was probably the most accomplished act on the live tour last night and looks a natural when live on stage giving 110% to each performance.

I like Marcus and hope this Hairspray role helps to kickstart his career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it was his choice to rush his album, he is always tweeting support of other musicians on twitter, and as the other DS member said above he co-wrote all the original material on his album in a short space of time, if that doesn't show passion what does?

He has already part written and recorded his 2nd album which he says should be released later this year and singing to 2000-3000 people each night in Hairspray for 6 months will hopefully generate some new fans outside of the X Factor bubble.

He was probably the most accomplished act on the live tour last night and looks a natural when live on stage giving 110% to each performance.

I like Marcus and hope this Hairspray role helps to kickstart his career.

Well I can only made my judgement on what I know about him, and what I see is a guy who is a fairly decent singer but unwilling to focus on just one area and therefore comes across as a bit insincere and flighty. It's just my opinion and I'm sure others will see it differently. I liked him on XF but my opinion of him went down after the twitter ~drama~ and his musical output hasn't been to my taste either. But good luck to him. At least he's kept himself in work. :)
  • IsItThatDeepIsItThatDeep Posts: 1,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I can only made my judgement on what I know about him, and what I see is a guy who is a fairly decent singer but unwilling to focus on just one area and therefore comes across as a bit insincere and flighty. It's just my opinion and I'm sure others will see it differently. I liked him on XF but my opinion of him went down after the twitter ~drama~ and his musical output hasn't been to my taste either. But good luck to him. At least he's kept himself in work. :)

Do you mean defending himself against an intellectually challenged, silicone implanted media ****, who made abusive homophobic comments to him and called him a half breed? If she'd said it to me and most other people she would have got a much worse response :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean defending himself against an intellectually challenged, silicone implanted media ****, who made abusive homophobic comments to him and called him a half breed? If she'd said it to me and most other people she would have got a much worse response :mad:

That, yes, and the stuff with his brother. I don't think Twitter is the place to be making a big song and dance about personal issues. If someone is being vile, the best thing to do is walk away, surely? If you lower yourself to the level of a 'media ****', people are inevitably going to judge you for it and class you in the same category as them.

As I said, it's just my opinion. And I don't actually have a particularly strong opinion on Marcus, other than he's made some poor choices since he left the show. But I hope he does come back with a decent album, because when he was on the show I thought he had a lot of potential. :)
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Stally wrote: »
    Geeze take a chill pill. I wasn't the first to bring up Ella you know. I was just simply stating my opinion and I'm allowed to have an opinion you know. I don't know what evidence your talking about as there aren't anyway. Some people make it after the show and some don't and I don't think Ella will make it after the show. I don't think Ella is as good as Alexandra Burke and Leona Lewis and they were much better singers when they were Ella's age. I do think she's talented but I think you have to a lot more than vocal talent and she's missing that spark, the X factor imo.*

Also, if Ella releases mature music I think she's will struggle to connect with older listeners as she's very young, and I don't think she would get good airplay. Also most teens her age will just think she's boring, and even if she went down the pop route to attract a teen/young fanbase I don't she would be able to pull it off.

Ok, but facts are facts...age means nothing -> Amelia was Ella's age when she released YBMJ and that got amazing airplay and charted #2...so how can you say she won't get good airplay? Age also means nothing on whether elderly people would buy records or not...she connected with quite a few with Believe and if she makes more ballads like that, the old people will LOVE her. How do you know whether teens will dislike her music, teens seem to be the ones who kept her in all that time after all? Leona and Alex were 'her age' and the elderly seem to like them quite a lot.

Saying that, Leona and Alex were nearly four years older than Ella when they were on the X Factor...as much as I love both...you can't say that I'm sorry, they had four years more experience (however when viewed as an age group, the elderly aren't going to differentiate much between a person who's 16 and someone who's 20, but experience-wise 20 is way longer than 16).

I don't mind opinions but evidence points in favor of her being a hit rather than not. She hasn't released any material so that neither hinders her nor benefits her. But she can song write and turn something in one genre to something in another genre (forget about whether Believe was good or not) which suggests she knows what she's doing. And from her original songs that we've seen her preform on X Factor she is versatile, she has made and can sing both upbeat songs and ballads. Versatility can get you far. That is the evidence I was talking about. I'm not talking about who voted for her on X Factor, I'm talking about her songwriting here and her versatility.

Anyway back on topic, Marcus needs to get dropped...:sleep: (My opinion)
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member

I get you, and fully understand why. As long as he worked on the music he could have success, he can sing and dance quite well :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    I think we all know Ella Henderson is going to be the big success story and worldwide star pretty soon making it harder for Leona

I have major doubts about that. She is a nice, talented girl but her one-level singing style has already become quite boring.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    I have major doubts about that. She is a nice, talented girl but her one-level singing style has already become quite boring.

Like turning 'You're The One That I Want' into a ballad :eek:
  • unicornsunicorns Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I agree about Union J and RCA. It's the worst record company to sign for imo. Like they don't have a lot of money to promote their acts.

That said.. Union J might be different, they've already booked gigs with The Wanted and Olly Murs, so they seem quite successful already. They also have a lot of fans who will probably buy their stuff. I think having so many fans already is definitely an advantage! :) Maybe they don't even need that much promotion.
  • ThisOddKidThisOddKid Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Marcus was dropped by RCA within a few months of releasing his debut album. It didn't do what the label wanted it to and they agreed a "quiet exit" to help him preserve some dignity. Part of that was Marcus controlling the information by saying that he was working on his second album with them, which wasn't true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not surprised Marcus has vanished without a trace. He was appallingly bad and one of the biggest cheese balls ever to be on the show. How he got as far as the finale is beyond me and really shocking. His album was dire.

To hear he's lied about his level of success instead of just going away gracefully makes me dislike him a fair bit.
  • istersayistersay Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    It's a lot tougher these days....

Marcus, Ryan, Rachel Crow, Chris Rene, Aiden will 100% be dropped. There sales are no where near good enough.

Not sure why you lumped Rachel Crow in with the other people, She's still signed to Columbia Records, she's on their Roster and working on her album now. She's in a current movie, Rio 2, and has a new sketch comedy TV Series on Nickelodeon. Can't see why they would drop her yet.

Edit: I see now that someone bumped up an old thread
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Rachel's EP flopped in the USA and so did the single. I however was a fan of her however i think it's very unlikely a album will surface after Mean Girls didn't do so well. I think Nicklodeon and presenting is her future...