Re-Casting Previous Doctors

2»

Comments

• daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to throw another point into the recasting debate, I'm watching a lot of the old 80's American Soaps at the moment like Dallas and Dynasty and they recast roles as regular as clockwork. Dallas was quite bad at doing this but Dynasty wasn't much better. More recently and closer to home, EastEnders has got in on the acting by recasting both the Beale children and Lauren Branning as well.

In all those cases, though, the actor or actress concerned just picks up and plays essentially the same role and personality with maybe a few tweaks allowed to take into consideration the mannerisms etc of the new actor concerned.

With The Doctor, we're talking about 11(soon to be 12) different aspects of the same character, each of them unique in their own way. All of them have built up their own fanbase and they all represent a certain period in the show's history. I don't think you can come close to replicating that unless you have the original actor involved.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    I think they did a marvellous job using CGI for the last two Star Trek films. They looked pretty different, but not bad considering the demands of the age changes. Shatner et al were obviously well out of practice with the characters, but I thought overall they did a great job considering how long it's been since we last saw them - especially as it took them back to the 60s' versions (Scotty and Bones were obviously different actors though for clear reasons, but it didn't matter to me too much).

Why can't we have the same thing with old Doctors as necessary? :confused:

I thought it was some great acting by Leonard Nimoy to play both an older and younger version of himself:D
    Seriously though, I thought the new actors mostly nailed the parts brilliantly, ....The script and the plot on the other hand I thought was absolutely dreadful. You could pilot a galaxy class starship through the holes. hehe
    TEDR wrote: »
    My favourite Hamlet was Hamlet 3: Prince in Manhattan. It's a bit of a genre piece, admittedly, but some of those couplets really pop.

I liked Hamlet 2. That was hilarious:) (Paul Coogan and Elizabeth Shue)

I really do hope they've managed to sneak a classic doc in there somewhere. Even just a voice message with a flickery hologram accompanying it would do me:)

This would not affect my enjoyment of the thing but just give me a little added smile to top it off.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Hamlet 2. That was hilarious:) (Paul Coogan and Elizabeth Shue)

Ah yes, Hamlet 2 (B Or Not 2B)...;)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recasting 1-7 is too much imo! We were ok with Hurndall because all the others were there (well, apart from you know who obviously) to carry the character. Seriously, could you really see another actor playing Four?
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I still think "An Adventure in Space and Time" is a complete red herring and that the entire cast are actually filming scenes for the 50th with David Bradley as the first Doctor and Reece Shearsmith as the Second Doctor.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another little thing to throw into the mix......

I made a similar argument to this about recent Doctors coming back and looking older, so I'm gonna make a similar point about recasting Doctors from the New series.

Basically it seems when it comes to recasting we're talking about the Classic Doctors.

However, how would people feel if, because Eccleston has declined to appear in the 50th, that his Doctor was recast or further down the line for say, the 75th Anniversary, and in the worst case scenario(which we hope won't happen) all the New Doctors were sadly no longer with us, how would people feel about the New Series Doctors being recast then?

I ask this question because far too often I notice it's one rule for Classic Doctors and another for the New Series ones.

So that's why I'm putting it out there. If you're one of those people who would love to see the Classic Doctors recast, would you you like to see the New Series ones recast as well one day? My above views on recasting hasn't changed in this regard, just wanted to know what others think.

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I made a similar argument to this about recent Doctors coming back and looking older, so I'm gonna make a similar point about recasting Doctors from the New series.

Basically it seems when it comes to recasting we're talking about the Classic Doctors.

However, how would people feel if, because Eccleston has declined to appear in the 50th, that his Doctor was recast or further down the line for say, the 75th Anniversary, and in the worst case scenario(which we hope won't happen) all the New Doctors were sadly no longer with us, how would people feel about the New Series Doctors being recast then?

I ask this question because far too often I notice it's one rule for Classic Doctors and another for the New Series ones.

So that's why I'm putting it out there. If you're one of those people who would love to see the Classic Doctors recast, would you you like to see the New Series ones recast as well one day? My above views on recasting hasn't changed in this regard, just wanted to know what others think.

I'm a classic fan and I would be equally upset about NuWho Doctors being recast! Each actor portrays the Doctor uniquely, and to an extent, as themselves. A recast Doctor would not be able to be the Doctor AND, say, David Tennant!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't mind at all. If someone in 25 years time looks and acts enough like David Tennant to be cast as his Doctor, I'd love to see him. :)

I certainly wouldn't view it as some form of sacrilege.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they ever recast Colin Baker, just use Charlie Higson dressed as his fast show character Colin Hunt.