Letitia Back for the Long Haul?

Comments

• Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of the crew felt Sharon's true love was Grant, but they let the fans affect their judgement.

Like when Tony Jordan said his plan was that Sharon would have slept with Grant and her baby would have been his. Kate Harwood said no to that because of Shannis' fanbase, and rumour has it that's why Tony Jordan left.

In my eyes, she loved Grant just as much as she loved Dennis.

The crew definitely preferred Sharon/Grant to Sharon/Dennis. I get the feeling they wish they could forget about Shannis and Denny along with it. I liked Dennis a lot more than Grant and while I'd say she loved both it's obvious to me who she loved more and that's Grant. A lot of the feelings she's expressed for Dennis since her return have to do with what could have been more than what was because he died. If Ross Kemp could be tempted back I think we'd have a definitive answer. One of the first things Sharon did when she returned was ask if Grant was on the square.
  • ALowsleyALowsley Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dennis was her true love. I don't care if the producers/writers prefer Grant and Sharon, they can't just pretend that Dennis and Sharon weren't together. They were "meant to be" and Sharon's life was destroyed when Dennis died in NYE 2005.
  • Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALowsley wrote: »
    Dennis was her true love. I don't care if the producers/writers prefer Grant and Dennis, they can't just pretend that Dennis and Sharon weren't together. They were "meant to be" and Sharon's life was destroyed when Dennis died in NYE 2005.

But why should they also forget the fact that she was deeply in love with Grant as well?
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did Tony Jordan say any of that? I'm almost certain I remember John Yorke saying they made Sharon pregnant so that the show would have a direct link to Den Watts ready for the future.

In 20 years, Denny will be just like his grand father.
  • nightwish1990nightwish1990 Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Letitia Dean is that when you watch her you can tell she is acting. It should be natural and real but you know she is trying (and struggling) to act. No woman in real life behaves as OTT camp.as her. She is not believable
  • bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,840
    Forum Member
    The problem with Letitia Dean is that when you watch her you can tell she is acting. It should be natural and real but you know she is trying (and struggling) to act. No woman in real life behaves as OTT camp.as her. She is not believable

Have you ever seen Letitia in an interview?! She is just as camp as Sharon!
  • Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Trust me, there are women just like that in real life.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know plenty of women who act like Sharon.

Sharon is the perfect soap character. The campness, the pouting, the fluttered eyelashes, the whispered breaths. EastEnders misses having those type of camp characters. It has become far too serious and poe-faced in recent years to the point where the writers have begun recycling snakes, tarts and vicars for a bit of comic relief.

As good an actress as Lindsey Coulson is, there's only so much I can take of miserable depressing "real" characters like Carol or even loud mouth domineering ones like most of the female cast. It's nice to have a bit of variety.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought Sharon's return would have worked so much more naturally if she had come back to Walford, bought the B & B and turned it into a foster home. Sharon being a foster mother would have been ideal. So many teenagers could have come in. Some full time others just recurring. That would have given Sharon strong links and made her the true and natural successor to Pat Butcher as mother of the Square.

It would have also given the show the chance to cover a lot of issues relating to kids in care. The scope could have been massive.

Instead they wasted her on two years of crap.

I love this idea. I agree I think it could have been brilliant and turned Sharon into a proper matriarch. Her being adopted would have been her motivation for opening a foster home so it really would have made sense. I hated the way they brought her back penniless and desperate. Sharon was always strong and independent and a savvy businesswoman, when she left the square in 2006 she was a very wealthy woman having recently sold the Vic, the club, her house and flat as well as still owning the bookies. They've never even explained to this day where all her money went.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I hope her character picks up now..her getting her revenge on Philth :D i like her in this angry spiteful character lol..like the old Sharon Watts :p
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know plenty of women who act like Sharon.

Sharon is the perfect soap character. The campness, the pouting, the fluttered eyelashes, the whispered breaths. EastEnders misses having those type of camp characters. It has become far too serious and poe-faced in recent years to the point where the writers have begun recycling snakes, tarts and vicars for a bit of comic relief.

As good an actress as Lindsey Coulson is, there's only so much I can take of miserable depressing "real" characters like Carol or even loud mouth domineering ones like most of the female cast. It's nice to have a bit of variety.

I agree with this. All the Watts were larger than life which is why they were always my favourite soap family. Also great posts Hit Em Up, Dr K and orange maid. I am desperate for a Sharon resurrection! :D
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    It would be great to know Letitia's thoughts on her character since she came back, was shoved in the background and given a horrible personality, and has now finally been revived.

Come on DS - line up an interview!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If she is still in EE this time next year I will be greatly shocked.
  • wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's safe to say that Letitia Dean will stay on EastEnders for several more years hopefully. I think she wants to settle down in EE for good. Letitia must be really pleased that Sharon is getting juicer storylines now.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In her return interviews, she hinted that she was in it for the long haul. DTC loves her and it looks like this revenge storyline will finally see the arrival of 'Hurricane Sharon.'
    'She concluded by commenting that she would love to become a soap matriarch like her friend and former co-star Wendy Richard, who passed away in 2009.

"When you've been in the show a long time and then you come back, it's good to have a bit of longevity," she said.'

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a397365/eastenders-letitia-dean-its-like-ive-never-been-away.html#~oLgnQjcvG3Y6dj

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a398666/eastenders-letitia-dean-sharon-will-be-a-lost-soul.html#~oLgq59frHjrnjU
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the One Show tonight Letitia said she is in EastEnders for the long haul.
  • nightwish1990nightwish1990 Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »

Woopty. Nobody cares
  • wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woopty. Nobody cares
    I do :)
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizardt wrote: »
    I do :)

Me too! :D
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woopty. Nobody cares

Erm...yes we do.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

Did she say when her next wedding is.;-)
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah Philth needs something to wipe his feet on after a hard day's bullying. :D
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member

I don't know any women who behave like this! I agree that you can tell she's acting and struggling to do so. If she is like this in real life then she's just playing herself which isn't the sign of a good actor. The same goes for Coronation Street's Sean Tully / Antony Cotton. He IS probably one of the worst actors on television. I'm not saying gay characters or even gay men in real life should be straight acting but he is OTT. He's hammy and I wish upon wish that Coronation Street would axe this awful actor / character.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're all technically playing a version of themselves, that's the nature of soap.

As Matt Di Angelo says in his recent interview, if you were to truly transform yourself for a soap with a different accent, holding yourself differently physically etc you wouldn't be able to keep it up because of the sheer amount of scenes you have to do daily. Far more exhaustive than most other forms like film/limited series and a lot of theatre.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    They're all technically playing a version of themselves, that's the nature of soap.

As Matt Di Angelo says in his recent interview, if you were to truly transform yourself for a soap with a different accent, holding yourself differently physically etc you wouldn't be able to keep it up because of the sheer amount of scenes you have to do daily. Far more exhaustive than most other forms like film/limited series and a lot of theatre.

Katherine Kelly is a great example of a fantastic and talented actress! When I saw her in Mr Selfridge I was shocked at how different she was, her posture, her accent and mannerisms. She is a very talented woman. I can't wait to see her performance in another series, soap or even a film. She has good chemistry with other actors and makes the character believable and her very own. :)