Sony sells over 10 million PlayStation 4's

Comments

• Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    People on this forum were saying that? :o

It was only said once, but I'm sure you can guess who said it.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PlayStation 4 led the month for next generation software sales by a considerable margin, with The Last of Us Remastered taking the #1 spot.

Its a bit sad that the best selling game on the next generation systems is a remake of a last gen game :cry:

I don't know if it speaks more about the quality of that game or the lack of new games at this time of year.

As you would expect on here the comments weren't anywhere near as bad as you could find on other forums but it was mentioned on here by somebody.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of which were Xbox 360 sort of games lots of PS3 titles turned PS4.

So many like me who bought into PS4, regretted it and got an Xbox One. Wonder how many of the 10 million sold are on Ebay or Gumtree now.

What we have is a very "hyped" console. People bought that however going forward I expect people will go for games choice.

What are you babbling about?

I went from a 360 to PS4 and have no regrets, the only game that I'm remotely interested in currently on the Xbox One is Dead Rising 3.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member

So many like me who bought into PS4, regretted it and got an Xbox One. Wonder how many of the 10 million sold are on Ebay or Gumtree now.

What we have is a very "hyped" console. People bought that however going forward I expect people will go for games choice.

Oh ffs, linkenpark is at it again :p
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member

What Hotbird said was wrong. There were no 'owners' it was said by one person, and in that persons defence it wasn't just the evil Microsoft that were being elusive, crystal dynamics themselves released a statement which made it sound like the game would only be coming to xbox platforms. It doesn't really matter now, we know that it will be coming to other platforms later.

Back on topic, I'm glad that next gen has taken off for both xbox one and the ps4. The xbox one may be behind the Sony console by a considerable margin but its still selling well when compared to previous generations, and its due to release to other markets soon too, so hopefully they get more sales. I did read some predictions a couple of years ago that mentioned that console gaming was dead and we would all soon be playing the majority of our games on smart phones and tablets. I'm glad that these predictions, for now, seem false.

I think its going to be a good winter for the next gen consoles. We seem to be on the edge of a massive amount of AAA game releases so i think a lot of people will be hoping to find a next gen console under the Christmas tree this year.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So if so many people have sold their ps4's and bought xbones, why are xbone sales so low and why are ms making a 400m loss?
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    So if so many people have sold their ps4's and bought xbones, why are xbone sales so low and why are ms making a 400m loss?

http://www.neowin.net/news/no-microsoft-hasnt-lost-400-million-on-xbox-one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    What Hotbird said was wrong. There were no 'owners' it was said by one person, and in that persons defence it wasn't just the evil Microsoft that were being elusive, crystal dynamics themselves released a statement which made it sound like the game would only be coming to xbox platforms. It doesn't really matter now, we know that it will be coming to other platforms later.

I wasn't only referring to this forum with that post. The CVG forum were still arguing a full exclusive after the "duration" news.

The message with this whole thing has been far from clear what the situation is from anyone involved. MS and CD were as bad as each other with their communication on this issue.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    My apologies. Your wording was aimed at one person,on here. So i assumed you were talking about this forum alone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    My apologies. Your wording was aimed at one person,on here. So i assumed you were talking about this forum alone.

That message was certain in my mind at the time as well.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony have confirmed PS4s shipped now stands at 13.5m

18m+ sold by the end of the year? On track to be the most successful console launch year ever.
    Forum Member
    Sony have confirmed PS4s shipped now stands at 13.5m

18m+ sold by the end of the year? On track to be the most successful console launch year ever.

Was reading about that over at IGN. The gaming division is making a mint.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder why Sony have changed to how many consoles have been shipped and not how many have been sold. Didn't they do sold the last few quarters?
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    Wonder why Sony have changed to how many consoles have been shipped and not how many have been sold. Didn't they do sold the last few quarters?

It is sold, FF used the wrong word. 3.3 million were sold in the last quarter.

I just read that the Wii sold around 13.2 million in the same time, very impressive
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Was reading about that over at IGN. The gaming division is making a mint.

13 million psn subs :o lot of money !

Well minus the PS3 carry-overs :D
    Forum Member
    13 million psn subs :o lot of money !

Well minus the PS3 carry-overs :D

It's funny how Sony or MS have never shared how many subscribers they have.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony still seem to be doing well with the PS4 selling 3.3 million over the past quarter. Even combined sales of the Xbox One and Xbox 360 still cant keep up with Sony.
    Additional figures from Sony have shown us just how well the PlayStation 4 is doing: the company says it's sold 3.3 million over the past quarter. For contrast, Microsoft announced combined Xbox 360 and Xbox One shipments of 2.4 million in its latest financial results.
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/31/sony-earnings-q2-2014/
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Cool, does it have any good games to play yet that arn't third party titles available elsewhere?
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny how Sony or MS have never shared how many subscribers they have.

http://www.psu.com/news/25077/PlayStation-Plus-hits-79-million-members

Sony have announced, yesterday, that they have got 7.9 million subscribers.
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    http://www.psu.com/news/25077/PlayStation-Plus-hits-79-million-members

Sony have announced, yesterday, that they have got 7.9 million subscribers.

..................... Ooooohhh ok.
    So 8 million subs at $50 a year, they get $400m a year from ps+ subs. That's about $34m per month to be spending on free games and network infrastructure. Neither of which they are doing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    It is sold, FF used the wrong word. 3.3 million were sold in the last quarter.

Are you sure? I thought it was shipped numbers as it came from Sony's financial report where profits are made by units going to retailers, not consumers.

Sold through numbers usually come via PR, unless they have something to hide in which case they revert to shipped as it's a bigger number.

Anyway, even it if was shipped those numbers are from the end of September, so at the rate PS4s are being produced and sold the number in customer's homes will most likely have matched or even exceeded 13.5m by now anyway.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Not sure then but a lot of articles reporting as units sold and the one I read earlier before I saw your comment said sold too. But if 10 million were sold by August & another 3.3 since, it can't be far off.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-sales-soar-to-13-5m-yet-sony-losses-continue/1100-6423291/

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4_sales_reach_13_5_million.html

But some are saying shipped like here

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/10/sonys_still_bleeding_money_but_ps4s_in_beast_mode

I couldn't care less either way. I've got mine & I'm happy with it and 3 of my good friends bought one today on payday & one preordered the GTA V bundle so that's now every one of my friends bar one that have moved to the new consoles so far that's chose PS4 over the Xbox One.

I was going to get a Xbox One over Christmas for some exclusives but have changed my mind now after finding a solution to a problem I had with my amp & playing music from my Apple TV while gaming & I'm going to keep my money for all the great looking exclusive games that should be out in the next year along with GTA, Assassins Creed and maybe *whisper* Advanced Watfare lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Not sure then but a lot of articles reporting as units sold and the one I read earlier before I saw your comment said sold too. But if 10 million were sold by August & another 3.3 since, it can't be far off.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-sales-soar-to-13-5m-yet-sony-losses-continue/1100-6423291/

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4_sales_reach_13_5_million.html

But some are saying shipped like here

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/10/sonys_still_bleeding_money_but_ps4s_in_beast_mode

I couldn't care less either way. I've got mine & I'm happy with it and 3 of my good friends bought one today on payday & one preordered the GTA V bundle so that's now every one of my friends bar one that have moved to the new consoles so far that's chose PS4 over the Xbox One.

I was going to get a Xbox One over Christmas for some exclusives but have changed my mind now after finding a solution to a problem I had with my amp & playing music from my Apple TV while gaming & I'm going to keep my money for all the great looking exclusive games that should be out in the next year along with GTA, Assassins Creed and maybe *whisper* Advanced Watfare lol

Very similar situation here. All of my console playing mates have already gone PS4 as have most of my colleagues. Just one guy at work has an Xbox One.

I picked an Xbox One up on impulse a few weeks ago with FH2 and I've barely touched it. I wouldn't go as far as to say I regret getting it, because I'm sure I'll find that killer game eventually, but if it were to disappear I certainly wouldn't miss it.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..................... Ooooohhh ok.
    So 8 million subs at $50 a year, they get $400m a year from ps+ subs. That's about $34m per month to be spending on free games and network infrastructure. Neither of which they are doing.

You're damn right its not going into the network, Sony expect to make a 2.1 billion loss, the company has been downgraded to "junk" status by rating agencies. They're in a right old mess.

So I wouldn't expect Sony to make any major investment into their network infrastructure for sometime.

As PSN Plus subscribers, we're propping the company up.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an impressive sales figure and just like another poster said it seems all my friends either have a PS4 or intend to get one, I only know 2 people with XBOXones. I wonder why the gap is so big?

But Sony do need to not get complacent! I personally think the Driveclub situation is a debacle, and there is a very poor exclusives selection in the run up to Christmas. Xbox has Forza, Sunset Overdrive and Halo Collection, whereas Little Big Planet is the only big Sony Exclusive I can think of that's coming up (though please correct me if I'm wrong).