Would you welcome Pistorius back to sport?

chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
Forum Member
The IPC certainly would if he avoids jail but not me because Pistorius will always be remembered first as a homicide convict, he has devastated one family's lives and I hope he gets jailed next month.

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Yes why not. Once he has served his sentence he should be able to carry on working like anyone should.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Safe to say he won't be running in any event in Britain outside major champs because no promoter will book him.

Hopefully he'll get a lengthy jail term in October which will see him long beyond retirement age.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. His very presence would undermine sport for the disabled.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try skeet shooting
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    No. His very presence would undermine sport for the disabled.

So you think anyone who commits a crime shouldn't be allowed to work again?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    try skeet shooting

That's a horrible thing to say.

I was thinking the same thing myself. :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member

No, it appeared to me that that poster was much more considering the circumstances here rather being as universal and absolutist as you appear to be.
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I for one wouldn't pay to attend any event he was at. He's a killer, some things are unforgivable in my opinion much like Ched Evans and his rape conviction. In my opinion there's no way people like that deserve my money.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The crime is murder (imo) and so no ... he should be serving a long sentence.
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »
    The crime is murder (imo) and so no ... he should be serving a long sentence.

He wasn't convicted of murder though and I think we can be fairly sure the judge knows more about South African law than you do.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He would get booed and worse wherever he goes. Who would want him?
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not think he should be allowed to compete again. I think his position of being in the public eye is untenable.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    He would get booed and worse wherever he goes. Who would want him?
    fans of cyborgs and composite bows materials?
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he is never allowed to compete again and I for one would never welcome him back nor pay to attend anything he was doing and hope the UK can keep him from competing and the Olympics and Paralympics.

It's not a petty crime, he took a girls life away from her, he shot her multiple times and killed her. Even if they are not calling it murder, it was murder.
    He wasn't convicted of murder though and I think we can be fairly sure the judge knows more about South African law than you do.

Lets be honest and say the justice system in SA is wanting and many can and do get away with murder. A lie can get you pretty far...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong but he lives in one of the most dangerous countries in the world and he accidentally killed his girlfriend. Based on that yes I would.
    Forum Member
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    I hope he is never allowed to compete again and I for one would never welcome him back nor pay to attend anything he was doing and hope the UK can keep him from competing and the Olympics and Paralympics.

It's not a petty crime, he took a girls life away from her, he shot her multiple times and killed her. Even if they are not calling it murder, it was murder.

Lets be honest and say the justice system in SA is wanting and many can and do get away with murder. A lie can get you pretty far...

Oh right, you have extensive knowledge of the law in South Africa then do you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong but he lives in one of the most dangerous countries in the world and he accidentally killed his girlfriend. Based on that yes I would.

He said it was an accident, he may live in a dangerous country, however he had a lot of security and was in a gated house. If he was very worried you may get your gun, but you would also notify all of the staff you have ready in case something happens.

Not to mention that she was awake and texting and neighbours heard screaming and shouting before it happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh right, you have extensive knowledge of the law in South Africa then do you?

Oh right, I forgot you had an overall view of what I do and don't know.
    Forum Member
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    Oh right, I forgot you had an overall view of what I do and don't know.

It was a question.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I think you know very well Walter. OJ Simpson was was completely acquitted in a court of law of a brutal double homicide. He wasn't exactly welcomed back into the limelight by the public nor did he resume his lucrative career in showbusiness. You seem to be obstinately and deliberately brushing aside the disconnect between a court verdict and public perception. The latter potentially having a profound affect on his future career options. A legal verdict is not binding on public opinion. Something I believe you know very well. He may well be a free man sooner than many would hope but the courts can't free him from the shackles of his tarnished public image. Nor can they prevent various interests from protecting their brands and profits.
  • grah2702grah2702 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would welcome him back with four bullets then say it was an accident job done.
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of what the judge decided I think the majority of the general public think he got away with it really (much like the aforementioned OJ Simpson) so his public image is gone for good now regardless of him serving his sentence.

He'll never get invited to race in big able bodied Grand Prix meetings again and never get the big sponsorship deals again. He may well compete in future Paralympics (doubt he'll ever get his form to the level to make the Olympics again now) but his days of being the poster boy of paralympic sport are long gone.