The Guilty - ITV1, 9pm

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Who was the chap on the canal boat? I wasn't sure if he was a relative or a professional who was going to assess the detective's son.

Or I know I could have missed seeing him before as I got confused by all the flashbacks where everyone looked the same as present day.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perverting the course of justice?

It's a serious crime that can carry a life term but no-one gets that. Due to the trauma of him losing a son, he'd probably barely serve any time.

The dodgy Felix (son of the neighbour) had shown them a game that involved nearly losing consciousness. Callum got Luke (older brother) to do it to him in the bath till Dad stopped them. Later on he hung himself playing the same "game". Dad thought Luke had done it so buried the body.

I'm sorry but this iMO is utter hogwash. How can a four year old be so obsessed with asphyxiation to try it twice? It doesn't add up at all.
  • Brighton BhelleBrighton Bhelle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Later on he hung himself playing the same "game". Dad thought Luke had done it so buried the body.

We didn't actually see him hanged, he just had the cord round his neck - pretty loosely it has to be said - and lying on the floor, so it looked more like manual strangulation. Would a five year old have the strength to strangle himself?.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    tellygirl wrote: »
    Who was the chap on the canal boat? I wasn't sure if he was a relative or a professional who was going to assess the detective's son.

Or I know I could have missed seeing him before as I got confused by all the flashbacks where everyone looked the same as present day.

No idea, seemed like a friend, but equally could have been the expert, like much in this series, briefly sketched out without any real explanation.

Bit meh in the end really - could have been a really tragic tale, but we didn't have any clue the Dad suspected the older son until about 2 minutes before the reveal and didn't see the relationship with the older son enough to get any clue about feelings of guilt etc until the very end, too much time spent composing 'dramatic' shots of people looking moody and thoughtful, who quite frankly looked like they'd been posed for an arty photoshoot.

Didn't really get why Felix made a point of saying that to the older boy, he had no reason to know what had actually happened, so why would he, on his return, be immediately worrying about what the older boy might say, as far as he knew the real culprit was dead :confused:

Done in a different way, concentrating on building up suspicion on the older son, to the final reveal, it could have been really tragic and well done, as it was me and Mr AK were left feeling 'oh, was that it'.

And while I think about it, I don't think I've ever complained about background music before - but it was awful in this, it was intrusive rather then building up the atmosphere - it's purpose seemed to be to bellow THIS IS DRAMATIC at the viewer

And no, I've no idea what parallels we were meant to draw between the policwoman's home situation and the case one :confused:
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea, seemed like a friend, but equally could have been the expert, like much in this series, briefly sketched out without any real explanation.

Bit meh in the end really - could have been a really tragic tale, but we didn't have any clue the Dad suspected the older son until about 2 minutes before the reveal and didn't see the relationship with the older son enough to get any clue about feelings of guilt etc until the very end, too much time spent composing 'dramatic' shots of people looking moody and thoughtful, who quite frankly looked like they'd been posed for an arty photoshoot.

Didn't really get why Felix made a point of saying that to the older boy, he had no reason to know what had actually happened, so why would he, on his return, be immediately worrying about what the older boy might say, as far as he knew the real culprit was dead :confused:

Done in a different way, concentrating on building up suspicion on the older son, to the final reveal, it could have been really tragic and well done, as it was me and Mr AK were left feeling 'oh, was that it'.

And while I think about it, I don't think I've ever complained about background music before - but it was awful in this, it was intrusive rather then building up the atmosphere - it's purpose seemed to be to bellow THIS IS DRAMATIC at the viewer

And no, I've no idea what parallels we were meant to draw between the policwoman's home situation and the case one :confused:

Did I miss something? How did Rose know the blanket was in the drawer?
    Forum Member
    fredster wrote: »
    Did I miss something? How did Rose know the blanket was in the drawer?

Heard the neighbour, mother of Felix, outside her house talking on the phone to someone about it while he was hanging around
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this but was let down by the ending. I just couldn't see how a father would put his wife through such an ordeal.

But I love Tamsin Greig- she has such a beautifully mournful face.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a waste of 3 hours. Found the last episode very dreary, with WAY too much tingly music and wistful staring and the most utterly pointless ending. Awful acting from the 2 main women, without the fabulous child actors in this I would have laughed out loud.
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think he might have been the pathologist from episode one but wouldn't swear to it. I think he was just meant to be a friend and she was giving her son a day out on the canal.
    I'm sorry but this iMO is utter hogwash. How can a four year old be so obsessed with asphyxiation to try it twice? It doesn't add up at all.

I agree. And it was all done in such a rush.
    That's a really good point. The case was closed as far as everyone except the dad and the policewoman were concerned.
    That idea was done so much better in a drama a year back with Hermione Norris, Paul McGann and Martin Clunes, where a mother begins to suspect her son did commit a terrible crime and had to decide what to do about it.

Most of what was in The Guilty has been done better before elsewhere.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,045
    Forum Member
    Accidents happen:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/boy-hanged-on-tree-aaris-conway_n_1606198.html

and who knows what a parent might do to protect a child?
  • qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Rarely say this but found the ending very satisfying. More so than the ending to Broadchurch which a real anti-climax as I along with a lot of other people had already guessed the culprit. However the preceding seven episode of Broadchurch were just in a different league to this. Good though.
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    Accidents happen:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/boy-hanged-on-tree-aaris-conway_n_1606198.html

and who knows what a parent might do to protect a child?

My husband said the same - the fact that he had already lost one child and could not face the fact he may lose the other so he had to protect him but then what favours would he have been doing his son to allow him to grow up into some type of killer or only goodness knows what.

Also no-one knows what a 5 year old child is capable of.
    I have heard before about kids younger than that accidently strangling themselves on cords of blinds etc. Sad but very true
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    I thought it was ok. At least we knew at the end what had happened.

Did anyone watch Southcliffe. I have watched one episode and Im not sure whether to watch the rest.

My dog has pooed better.
    Delete and be glad you have that extra time in your life!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glad it wasnt just me who felt disappointed by the plot holes. as above really: the architect who loved in a 2 up 2 down, the guy on the boat, and WHY did the guy confess to murder when he didnt do it and then provoke his stabbing in prison. that was the biggest problem for me - there was no clear rationale as to why he coughed to the boys murder
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought he was the psychologist she spoke to on the phone who was going to assess the child privately, but I did think it was a bit odd he was seeing him on a boat if that was the case.

I would have liked more information on the background of Callum's family - Luke was only 2 years older than him, but Luke's mother died when he was two, so had his parents split up when he was a baby, or even before he was born, or did his dad jump straight into bed with Katherine Kelly as soon as he was widowed? Or was he having an affair with Katherine Kelly before Luke's mother died? How did she die, by the way? Did they ever say? I suspected one of the reasons he (the dad) decided not to run off with Teresa was that he would have had to take Luke with them.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and WHY did the guy confess to murder when he didnt do it and then provoke his stabbing in prison. that was the biggest problem for me - there was no clear rationale as to why he coughed to the boys murder

That was supposedly because he found himself more and more drawn to watching young boys and following them, and he was worried that he might do something to harm a child, so he wanted to be sent to prison where he wouldn't be able to do this.
    Forum Member
    glad it wasnt just me who felt disappointed by the plot holes. as above really: the architect who loved in a 2 up 2 down, the guy on the boat, and WHY did the guy confess to murder when he didnt do it and then provoke his stabbing in prison. that was the biggest problem for me - there was no clear rationale as to why he coughed to the boys murder

I think, he had plans/urges towards Callum (and other young boys), hence the copy of the key he'd had made (which he let himself into the house with 5 years later) and felt that he could have done it, so may as well confess to it

As I say, I think that was the rational behind it, from the quick glimpse we got of the character, the mumbled explanation and him having a key.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the final episode was a bit of a stinker then? I recorded it and was going to watch it later, but judging from the comments I think I'll just delete it. The other two episodes didn't grab me that much anyway.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    less whodunnit... more whatthehellactuallyhappnd???
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We didn't actually see him hanged, he just had the cord round his neck - pretty loosely it has to be said - and lying on the floor, so it looked more like manual strangulation. Would a five year old have the strength to strangle himself?.

i don't think an adult can *successfully* either :(
    Forum Member
    So the final episode was a bit of a stinker then? I recorded it and was going to watch it later, but judging from the comments I think I'll just delete it. The other two episodes didn't grab me that much anyway.

Probably worth watching the last 10/15 minutes really, that answers all the questions
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    i don't think an adult can *successfully* either :(

Without wanting to be gruesome, wouldn't plastic bags have been a more logical option? It's the sort of "thrill" a character like Felix might well experiment with, and things can very easily go wrong.

I do wonder why Daniel didn't just ask his son what happened instead of covering it up and lying to his wife for five years....
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

I liked the first episode but didnt even finish the second - doesnt sound like I missed much then.
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had high hopes for this drama after the first episode, however I have to say, the last episode was such a confusing anti climax...I felt I had been conned...arrh well!
  • Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    To anyone wanting to mess about with this self strangulation to get high nonsense - probably safer to try drugs.
This discussion has been closed.