What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Just finished Simon Scarrows The Eagle's conquest (second book in the Eagle series).

Have started David Baldacci Zero Day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've just finished Sob Story by Carol Anne Davis,

Just started Trust Nobody (Daisy Lane 1) by June Hampson!
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie-Jane wrote: »
    Hi Ella - I haven't seen the film :o

Loving the book though, so I guess I would only be disappointed in the film?

I usually find that the film based on a book is not as good or a let down,I remember when the film The Beach came out and the book was fab,a great read and gripped me from the start but the film was awful and added sex scenes in for effect between the main characters that hadn't even happened in the book(why do film makers think everyone wants sex scenes in the films :rolleyes: ) one film I loved almost as much as the book was Angela's Ashes-I must of read that book 4times and even bought the film for myself,going back to Lovely Bones-the film is very odd but try it you may like it:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    finished reading fifty shades of grey - I did enjoy reading the first 200 pages but I started getting bored with it

that is exactly how I felt :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Katie-Jane wrote: »
    To be honest - no! But it has such good reviews on Amazon. Maybe I haven't reached the good bit yet :D

Glad it's not just me! I was starting think I was missing something as the Amazon reviews are so spectacular. I don't know if I'll have the stamina to read on....
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Midnight in Peking - Paul French
    This is a non fiction crime investigation of a famous murder in 1937. The details of the lives of both British and Chinese in Peking at that time are fascinating. And the murder really is intriguing.
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buntym wrote: »
    Glad it's not just me! I was starting think I was missing something as the Amazon reviews are so spectacular. I don't know if I'll have the stamina to read on....

I'll let you know if I manage to read anymore :D
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    I usually find that the film based on a book is not as good or a let down,I remember when the film The Beach came out and the book was fab,a great read and gripped me from the start but the film was awful and added sex scenes in for effect between the main characters that hadn't even happened in the book(why do film makers think everyone wants sex scenes in the films :rolleyes: ) one film I loved almost as much as the book was Angela's Ashes-I must of read that book 4times and even bought the film for myself,going back to Lovely Bones-the film is very odd but try it you may like it:)

Thanks Ella - I don't watch many films, but if I see it on anywhere I will give it a try :)
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Karin Fossum's The Water Edge. After an unimpressive opening novel in the Inspector Sejer series, I was pleasantly surprised by this second offering. A great study of the impact of crime on families affected and we get to learn much more about Sejer and his partner Skarre
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished 3rd Volume of Chris Mullin's Diaries, " A Walk on Part". They cover the period between John Smith's death and the second year of the Blair Government. Full of honest observations about his colleagues and the machinations of the Westminster village. Best political diaries since Tony Benn and Alan Clark.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Gave up on Enchantments by Kathryn Harrison as it got quite boring.

Now reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. It's one of those books where nothing actually happens but it's quite deep - usually hate those kind of books but I'm really liking this.

Read the first chapter of 50 Shades of Grey, I won't be carrying on with it.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Londonistan by Melanie Phillips

This book describes how a mixture of government policies by successive Tory and Labour governments created a large and fierce fifth column of radical Muslim inside the UK's borders.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To kill a mockingbird :)
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The German Genius..its unfortunate that all the science, engineering and culture that Germany has contributed to the world is overshadowed by Hitler and the Nazis and two World Wars.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Aline Templeton - Cradle to Grave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me what the Hunger Games is about and whether it's a good read?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Others ~ James Herbert
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    Halfway through Goblet of Fire (my favourite HP and the one I've read the most times, already regretting not saving it for my hols). Harry and Ron are friends again and all is well with the world. Always hated the bits were they fall out when I was younger but suppose it's a normal part of friendships.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skeleton Key - Stephen King

Have read this collection of short stories before but had forgotten how good they are.

ps If you are about to go swimming you don't want to read The Raft which is one of them :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catch me if you can

I know the guy was a massive criminal and con man but I think the whole story is brilliant.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ancestor, by Scott Sigler.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sleep, Pale Sister by Joanne Harris
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain.

It's very good so far.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week I finished Whispers Under Ground, the third book in the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.
    It's one of the books I enjoyed most in the last ten years. The whole series is fantastic. Urban fantasy at it's best.

In May I was in London and visited some of the places mentioned in the book by accident, as the book came out 4th week of June. It just gave it that little bit extra.
    I also visited Russell Square and tried to imagine which one of the buildings could be the Folly.

I've started on Harry Turtledove's In the Balance, the first book of the Wordlwar series.
    It's my first foray into alternative history-SF and I must say, I like it.