• FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the Youtube link for West Coast that she tweeted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SqUUoJjW8
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like West Coast but I'm worried its not strong enough as a launch single. I can't see US radio embracing this at all sadly :( which is a shame after all the progress she finally started to make there.
  • Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it, but I need to listen more closely when I'm less excited to let the lyrics sink in properly.

If the rest of Ultraviolence is as good as West Coast, it will blow Born to Die out of the water.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope that we get Black Beauty on the album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Down on the West Coast, they got their icons
    Their silver starlights, their Queens of Saigon
    But you've got the music
    you've got the music in you, don't you?

Down on the West Coast they love their movies
    Their golden dozen, Rock n' Roll groupies
    But you've got the music
    you've got the music in you, don't you?

Lyrics like this is why I love Lana's songs so much. Wow. :)
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly shows how she is growing as an artist. Her lyrical style is very unique to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly shows how she is growing as an artist. Her lyrical style is very unique to her.

The progression from any of the songs on Born to Die and all those leaked tracks, and this, is amazing. She's come so far in not too long at all. :)
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite surprised people are not liking this.

Lana was never going to have a hit single. Video Games and Born To Die weren't anywhere near as strong as this.

I love it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should put out whatever she wants, not what she thinks will get on US radio. That's how she's operated thus far and her career has gone from strength to strength. I think she'll be popular there (her tour is selling incredibly well) but she's not going to have big pop hits like Rihanna or someone. Who cares about US radio though? They're all paid off to push the most generic stuff to the top of that charts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite surprised people are not liking this.

Lana was never going to have a hit single. Video Games and Born To Die weren't anywhere near as strong as this.

I love it!

I totally agree. I really thought everyone here would be all over it. Instead they seem more concerned about what US radio thinks but, frankly, who cares. Lana seems to be doing fine regardless.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song is brilliant. A progression, brilliant arrangement, great vocal delivery. If Ultraviolence is up to the standard of the lead single gonna be one heck of an album.
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree. I really thought everyone here would be all over it. Instead they seem more concerned about what US radio thinks but, frankly, who cares. Lana seems to be doing fine regardless.

That's all some people care about. Lana won't get dropped or forgotten about if her singles don't chart well, fans really don't need to enter this petty chart battle.

Oh forgot to mention, it's stunning. Again, so different to what's out there now. Pave the way Lana, pave the way.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    West Coast is amazing. :cry:

Especially with good headphones. Those synths at the end! So 90s. :cry:
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    probably my favourite lana single so far
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone think the ''ooh ohh baby bit'' sounds very Edge of Seventeen :p
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Anyone think the ''ooh ohh baby bit'' sounds very Edge of Seventeen :p

If there are more than a few Stevie Nicks-ish sounds on the album I just might die. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dynopia wrote: »
    That's all some people care about. Lana won't get dropped or forgotten about if her singles don't chart well, fans really don't need to enter this petty chart battle.

Oh forgot to mention, it's stunning. Again, so different to what's out there now. Pave the way Lana, pave the way.

Her first album sold stacks. Her tour is selling well and there's loads of hype around the next album, which will be bigger in the US this time. Plus, her songs are getting some good movie spots. She doesn't need a top 10 single to be a big star.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a bad song. The chorus feels wasted by the verses that don't fit with it, but it's a nice chorus all the same.

Her public image is way too calculated for me to feel strongly about her, but I'd take her over Perry, Rhianna and that ilk.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lana isn't a singles artist though.
    She is all about selling albums and West Coast will do that perfectly for her.

Anyway, I adore it. I love the progression in her sound but still remaining very Lana.
    I love it. I guess if I had one niggle it is the lack of a middle 8 section
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am addicting to this song already. I love the synth at the end also, perhaps the highlight of the song. I can imagine the music video being exceptionally haunting and superb as always.

As for her US radio, I also am not worried about that. Like FMKK said, there are other ways like the song being used in a tv series, commercials and so forth. Moreover, Lana does heaps better internationally and performs stronger on album sales and tours anyways.

Oh, this is my 1000th post on DS!!!! Glad it's on an excellent song!!! :D:D:D:D
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really mixed on West coast atm
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I love it, but I need to listen more closely when I'm less excited to let the lyrics sink in properly.

If the rest of Ultraviolence is as good as West Coast, it will blow Born to Die out of the water.

no it will not.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just heard it... and I really want to hear it again.

I kind of get a 'Pure Shores' vibe during parts of it...
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    no it will not.

If the material we have so far from Ultraviolence sessions are anything to go by, it's already blowing Born To Die away.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first heard it I thought I thought it was gorgeous and I think its even more stunning after a few listens. Quite literally captures the West Coast sound. Another timeless Lana classic, can't wait for the full video.