Options

Detectorists

Comments

• Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lived in Suffolk my entire life and the accents don't sound like from around here.

I have a mate from Bristol, and it sounded more like his accent on the show to me.

Although, saying that, people have commented in the past that me and him sound very similar, so I don't know.

As far as I'm concerned I don't have a accent. :D
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was mentioned by the shows 2 lead characters that they are in Essex.
    I liked the programme, and shall tune in next week.
    Promising stuff.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eh?..... out of date?.... dunno what you mean by that. it certainly isnt pointless as we are looking for hints of previous occupation/use. viewing several maps via the timeline is useful as one or more might show cropmarks or soil stains. how a roman villa crop mark can be 'out of date' is baffling.)

I agree with Snowy owl - the point was made that due to the very long recent dry spell that old buildings would be showing up more than usual in ariel photos. This is true as was shown earlier this year when the outline of previously unknown stones were spotted at stonehenge.
    However they are very unlikely to spot that on google earth as the pictures on there are not upto date - many will be years old. People quite often assume google earth is some sort of live sattellite view, it isnt, it's mainly from ariel photos taken on a rota like street view.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I agree with Snowy owl - the point was made that due to the very long recent dry spell that old buildings would be showing up more than usual in ariel photos. This is true as was shown earlier this year when the outline of previously unknown stones were spotted at stonehenge.
    However they are very unlikely to spot that on google earth as the pictures on there are not upto date - many will be years old. People quite often assume google earth is some sort of live sattellite view, it isnt, it's mainly from ariel photos taken on a rota like street view.

Some Google Earth maps are kept fairly up to date. It actually says at the bottom of the screen "Imagery Date" followed by the date. The Brighton area near me has a date of 7/24/2014 so only a few months old.

Anyway, I thought the show was quite good. A gentle comedy (despite some strong language) and treats the detectorists as a source of humour without being patronising or sneering / snobbish.

Also helps that you've got two good leads in Mackenzie Crook and the ubiquitous Toby Jones (who I only realised today is the son of actor Freddie Jones).
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    the ubiquitous Toby Jones.

Do you know, I'd never heard of him or noticed him before this? Looking over his career, I think the only thing that I'd have ever seen him in is 15 Storeys High and Orlando-possibly Doctor Who as well. Anyway, he was good in this :)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I have lived in Suffolk for 15 years and I still can't tell the difference.

It might depend what part of Suffolk you live in. The closer you get to the border with Norfolk the more similar the accents become
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokingly said to my girlfriend whilst we were watching this that Mackenzie Crook must have been in charge of casting, given how much better looking his girlfriend is in this compared to him. Had to laugh when the credits revealed him to be the writer and director:D

Thought it was pretty bland, but with some slight potential.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokingly said to my girlfriend whilst we were watching this that Mackenzie Crook must have been in charge of casting, given how much better looking his girlfriend is in this compared to him. Had to laugh when the credits revealed him to be the writer and director:D

Thought it was pretty bland, but with some slight potential.

Yes, the one bit that struck me as VERY unlikely was that Andy would have a stunning, intelligent, posh girlfriend at home. I concluded that Mackenzie Crook wrote the whole thing just so that he could peer down Rachel Stirling's top.
  • Options
    Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Look at that Lembit Opik, he had one of the Cheeky Girls and Sian Lloyd! :o
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Who was the guy at the button speech (you heard me!) who was sitting with the main two? He moved his bag off the chair for the young woman but she sat somewhere else.

I've seen him in so many things, I know I have, but since seeing him last night I can't think of a single one. Driving me a little bit insane.

His name is Pearce Quigley
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    Do you know, I'd never heard of him or noticed him before this? Looking over his career, I think the only thing that I'd have ever seen him in is 15 Storeys High and Orlando-possibly Doctor Who as well. Anyway, he was good in this :)

On Toby Jones

If you get a chance to see it, he was brilliant playing Truman Capote in ' Infamous '
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »

but snowy owl suggested using google maps was pointless because they are out of date... thats nonsense, just because we dont have the latest imagery which might show more, it doesnt change the fact that old settlements/buildings/earthworks can still be seen on older pics. true we might find more that we currently dont know about, but that doesnt mean the thousands of crop marks cannot be seen on other previous pics.... they certainly can!

we detectorists, and historians use google earth all the time, so to suggest its useless because its not up to date is wrong.
  • Options
    blancoelectra97blancoelectra97 Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Toby Jones

If you get a chance to see it, he was brilliant playing Truman Capote in ' Infamous '

He is a fantastic if that is the word ,actor.He so rocks.Son of Freddie Jones.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with Detectorists.
    Not earth-shattering, but a very enjoyable 30 mins, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
    I agree with the comments about the accents - set in Essex, yet both leads have West County-ish accents. And how did Mackenzie Crook manage to pull his teacher girlfriend? The perks of being the writer!! :D Nice work.

Incidentally, Toby Jones has just been cast as Captain Mainwaring in the new Dad's Army film that's being made. Arthur Lowe's boots are going to be very hard to fill, but Jones might just be able to do it.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Chuff and I thoroughly enjoyed this. Some lovely pastoral scenery. Likeable characters. Un-cynical, open minded and upbeat. The loving relationship between Mackenzie Crook and Rachael Stirling was a pleasure to see, and Lisa from Eastenders is always good value. Looking forward to the next one. It's been a while since I have actively "looked forward" to the next episode of a comedy show.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but snowy owl suggested using google maps was pointless because they are out of date... thats nonsense, just because we dont have the latest imagery which might show more, it doesnt change the fact that old settlements/buildings/earthworks can still be seen on older pics. true we might find more that we currently dont know about, but that doesnt mean the thousands of crop marks cannot be seen on other previous pics.... they certainly can!

we detectorists, and historians use google earth all the time, so to suggest its useless because its not up to date is wrong.
    I figure if a Roman building was under a field three years ago, it's probably still there. :D

(And our area was updated recently too, because our new car suddenly appeared in the picture...plus our daughter's school went from a building site (as it was in the old image) to an actual building)
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Chuff and I thoroughly enjoyed this. Some lovely pastoral scenery. Likeable characters. Un-cynical, open minded and upbeat. The loving relationship between Mackenzie Crook and Rachael Stirling was a pleasure to see, and Lisa from Eastenders is always good value. Looking forward to the next one. It's been a while since I have actively "looked forward" to the next episode of a comedy show.
    The relationship they had reminded me of my own, my wife's more than happy for me to go and spend time on my hobby but would rather saw her own leg off then come with me. :p

(I am not a detectorist)
  • Options
    MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I loathe Emily.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting now.
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just mentioned Portman Road. Must be set in Suffolk.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    What town is this filmed in?
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very relaxing
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    That was great - Deserved another run.

Detectorists was superb last night. The 30 minutes flew by.

Yes it did, I couldn't believe it when it suddenly ended last week, and same again tonight, the sign of a good series, surely? I would like it to be on for a bit longer and a bit more happening.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't realise Crook directed as well as wrote (and starred in). Liked "feelin' groovy" moment :D