Do you expect to make it into work tomorrow?

Comments

• KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Anyway back on topic,a light dusting of snow and the south grinds to a halt, southern softies indeed.:D

Helicopter in flames over Vauxhall yesterday.
    A fire on the Gatwick Express closed Victoria today.

You didn't hear about it because your homing pigeon took a good look around and said, "**** me, those Londoners just get on with it, I like it, I'm staying."
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I live a 40 min walk away from work so im not sure any amount of snow would be reason enough for me not to make it in!
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been told not to bother coming in tomorrow. However the most recent forecast wasn't so bad.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emnat wrote: »
    Can't say I wouldn't be disapointed if the tubes and buses were not running tomorrow! :D

I will try and make it in....

....the issue may be making it back if the conditions deteriorate significantly during the day.....
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can walk to work if I need to. At the moment there's a couple of inches, and it's snowing lightly. If it's like this when I get up then I'll walk in, just because the side roads are narrow, ungritted, and have cars parked on both sides. My road gets really slippery and I'm nervous about sliding into a neighbour's parked car. It's only a couple of miles to work - not the nicest walk ever, but easier than driving in the snow.

I work in a college though, so if the bus companies decide they're not running, then the management can take the decision to close. A lot of our learners come in from outlying villages, and the bus companies can stop running when the snow here isn't very bad - it's usually far worse out in the Peak, which stops the buses.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    They've forcast 6-8 feet of snow where i live so i doubt it.

Bloody hell where do you live!?
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the getting to work that is going to be the problem - it's the getting home :eek:

Snow now forecast in London until after 11am.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't stick the 'work from home' line where I work, as they know it probably means, reading a few emails and then not actually working.

If you don't go in you have to take a day off unpaid or use a holiday.

All this is just hearsay as well. One thing my company falls down on is their snow policy, it is generally play it by ear/one rule for some/one rule for others, where nobody knows what the policy is until after the event.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah - if we close then obviously the decision is out of my hands and I don't have to take leave or anything. If we're open but I decide I can't make it in then I'd need to use leave or make up the time. If I make it in, even late, then I'd be ok.

Edit: I can't work from home, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a snow day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    They don't stick the 'work from home' line where I work, as they know it probably means, reading a few emails and then not actually working.

If you don't go in you have to take a day off unpaid or use a holiday.

All this is just hearsay as well. One thing my company falls down on is their snow policy, it is generally play it by ear/one rule for some/one rule for others, where nobody knows what the policy is until after the event.

This is what I do at work most days :o
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    Yes of course. It's only a bit of snow. In winter. Why is everyone so surprised that it's cold in January. For goodness sake why can't people just get on with things?

Precisely this.

If it does snow, I'll walk. It'll be dark when I go to and from work along roads that a lot won't walk along in the dark, but it's nice walking in the snow and I walk the roads all the time anyway. Same on Saturday too, I've got a 12+ hour shift and if I don't work, I don't get paid.

I really, really hope it doesn't snow much though cos more than an inch of snow and the work phone goes crazy with customers cancelling because there's a sprinkling of snow on the ground :rolleyes: If too many customers cancel they may close and I'll lose out on the hours all because people go hysterical over a little snow despite roads being gritted and ploughed.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clarribo wrote: »

Surely they mean inches
  • Bandit1200SBandit1200S Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Nona wrote: »
    I have been off for 2 days as it is, and I've got a horrible feeling I won't make it tomorrow either. :(

You're just angling for a long weekend, go for it :)

Seriously, at one place I worked at there was one person who lived a good 10 miles further than most who always made it into work in really bad conditions (she was a driver) until one day she crashed after skidding on black ice and ended up in hospital for a month, but as you can guess on the occasions when the roads were really bad and she had made it she was pointed out to those who chose not to risk it as a reason why we should have risked our life's too by Management.

They were so bad that if it was really really bad with snow I'd call the local police station for advise and it was always do not risk it, this was good ammunition for the boss upon return to work.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have procedures for closing the school and will be contacted as would parents but I will be up and ready in anticipation that we will be open, my only problem could be travel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarribo wrote: »

Probably inches. I'm just outside the 'red zone' in cardiff. We've been predicted 4-6 inches but in the valleys they're expecting 10-12 inches.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the snow is above the height of the kerb then No , i won't be going into work tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    We have procedures for closing the school and will be contacted as would parents but I will be up and ready in anticipation that we will be open, my only problem could be travel.

Someone on my facebook said that her son came home with a letter from the school saying that in the anticipation of snow they are closing the school. Does that mean if, for some reason, not a flake of snow falls, there will still be no school?! Clearly been a while since their last inset day. :D
  • NonaNona Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're just angling for a long weekend, go for it :)

I'm not angling for anything, actually.

I live in the country, 11 miles from where I work, I don't drive, and both the trains and buses have been cancelled for the last two days. I didn't want to waste what little holiday I have being off, and don't want to be off tomorrow.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    Surely they mean inches

Stonehenge. That was seriously in danger of being crushed... by a DWARF!
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone on my facebook said that her son came home with a letter from the school saying that in the anticipation of snow they are closing the school. Does that mean if, for some reason, not a flake of snow falls, there will still be no school?! Clearly been a while since their last inset day. :D

We won't do that we will only close if we really have to, it could be that we get contacted at 6 in the morning to let us know, no contact and we are in. Staff coming from other areas could be an issue if the snow falls dramatically and I've asked what I do if I cannot get in. I'm happy to go to a more local school if the LEA allocate one :)

I don't see how you can close 'in case' but they could have been advised to do so. Most staff don't want to stay off in truth
    It would be nice though :D
  • Bandit1200SBandit1200S Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Nona wrote: »
    I'm not angling for anything, actually.

I was joking, hence the smiley face.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err what SADFACE!! I've been unemployed for weeks and tomorrow is my first day of work it better freakin NAHT!!

*edit* Sorry I turn into an Amercian when i'm angry.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stonehenge. That was seriously in danger of being crushed... by a DWARF!

His snow goes up to 11
  • EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just returned from parking my car at the top of the hill that leads down into our housing estate. I struggled to park - hundreds of people have done the same. A traffic warden could make a fortune - we're all on double yellow lines and double parked all along a main road. So people are at least going to try to get to work in the morning.

I'm lucky in that both my jobs are in walking distance - the only problem is that I start work 1 at 5am, so I'm going to be up at 3:30 to see if I need to walk (if it's okay I'll take the car and then leave it in work if it is mayhem when it is time to come home).

Work 2 which I was due to start at 1pm tomorrow has already announced that it will be shut and everything is cancelled. So I get the day off. With pay :D

My dad however is worried. Two people from his job HAVE to be able to get in as he works at a chemical works and his section must be manned by two at all times. Of course, no-one thought of that when recruiting and so none of them live particularly close. My 60 in June father may have a 10 mile walk to work - he starts at 6 and so is going to be waking up on and off all night to check on the snow situation. He then has to try and get home at 2pm.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things are sure getting interesting
    The snow is coming, 1 or 2 cm's seem to cause problems, but i real dumping for some of us, we may not see our lawns again 'till February